Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Help on Lyical Solo!
By dancewithme1027
On Fri Jan 01, 2010 05:49 PM

I am doing a solo to the song satellite by Dave Matthews but have no idea how to start it.
I dont know if I just cant get inspired or what but if anyone has an ideas or videos to help me out I would appreciate it so much1
Thanks!

3 Replies to Help on Lyical Solo!

re: Help on Lyical Solo!
By sorta_fairytale
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:17 PM
Try watching some youtube videos. Also just lay down, close your eyes, & play your song. It usually helps idea come to me if I sit and visualize.
By SRTC
On Thu Jan 28, 2010 08:26 PM
Try just turning on the music and improving to the song to get ideas. Close your eyes and dance your emotion and think about the space around you instead of the moves.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Fri Jan 29, 2010 07:41 AM
Start with these three question:

1. Is there a story? Are you dancing a plot or is it more abstract? Do you need a beginning/middle/end...if so, what are they?

2. What am I good at? What things do I know I should include? Triple turns? Split Leaps? Balances? Any specific moves?

3. What are the rhythms of the piece? You have to think beyond the steady beat. Perhaps you have phrases of 1 2 3+4+1 2 3+4+1 ----- or perhaps you have phrases of 1+2 +4 1+2 +4 1+2 +4 -- KNOW what these rhythms are. Sometimes you dance WITH them, meaning moving according to what the beats say, and sometimes you go AGAINST them, meaning you move to a different rhythm than the rhythm of that phrase.

I kind of despise looking at other people's choreographies while I"m choreographing because not only does it seem like the easy cheap way out, but it can often lead in stealing choreography. There's a line between using videos for inspiration, and using videos to find entire phrases to fit what you need...and that line is pretty fine.

ReplySendWatch