Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Lyrical or modern?
By dancegirl300member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 02, 2010 03:39 PM

I am a lyrical dancer and a confused one. I have always been taught that lyrical is when you go to the lyrics even if there aren't any. Now, my other studio is telling em that lyrical has to have lyrics and modern can have them or not have them. I am completely lost right now. Can some one help?

4 Replies to Lyrical or modern?

re: Lyrical or modern?
By Meg_a_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 02, 2010 06:27 PM
the styles themselves are not defined by the music. It's the technique. You can do both to songs without lyrics and vice-versa. music is just a tool of dancing, it doesn't encompass the whole idea. look up lyrical videos on youtube and then compare them to modern videos. Study Martha Graham technique. Then you will be able to tell the difference =D
re: Lyrical or modern? (karma: 1)
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:49 AM
Err, there is no such thing as "lyrical technique" since lyrical borrows from jazz, modern, and ballet. Lyrical is a DESCRIPTION - not a style. So you can have lyrical jazz or lyrical ballet or lyrical modern. Or even lyrical tap, although I would immediately gouge my eyes out if I ever encountered such a monstrosity.

Praise dancing works the same way. The term "praise" tells you nothing about the technique - instead it describes the choreography. But praise dances can include ballet, jazz, modern, hula, whatever.

And before everyone jumps on my back for saying lyrical isn't a proper technique, think about this... Have you ever seen a lyrical company? Have you ever met someone with a degree in lyrical dance? I think not.
By jetaimeballet
On Fri Feb 19, 2010 09:35 AM
Edited by jetaimeballet (220178) on 2010-02-19 09:37:54 added mandy and travis... how could I forget them?!
I think that panic is right in the sense of professional companies and that side of the dance world. However, I don't think everything is as black and white as it was a few years ago. Dance is becoming a bigger part of the media. Look at So You Think You Can Dance! That show represents different styles, but "contemporary" is a huge part of it. 99% of the time people like Stacey Tookey, Sonya Tayeh, Mandy Moore, Travis Wall and Mia Michaels get inspiration for their choreography from the words and feel of the music; but especially with Mia, the dances don't necessarily follow them word for word or even beat for beat. Basically, I think lyrical is the same thing as contemporary. it's a mix of three major dance techniques, and I bet that in a few years or so you will start to see more and more groups of dancers in this style that get paid to perform. Not necessarily tradition dance companies, but still. (:
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sat Mar 06, 2010 08:58 AM
Look at So You Think You Can Dance! That show represents different styles, but "contemporary" is a huge part of it.

I'm so torn on this issue. I HATE SYTYCD because I feel that it's narrowing the scope of mainstream dance, which is harmful to dance as a whole. However, it is beginning to 'define' those wishy-washy styles that haven't really been defined yet. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. It could be good by creating 'new' dance styles, but I feel like it must be bad because everyone's saying "this is the way to do this undefined style" instead of saying "it's undefined and just because it isn't a world-famous-choreographer doesn't mean that it's bad or lesser".

I'm inclined to stay that In the spectrum, lyrical is a little circle somewhere in between modern and jazz...it is usually one kind of style. Depressed or Elated, slower, suspended movements...etc. Modern is much broader and incorporates many known techniques that are rigid, and many undefined techniques and approaches that have more or less died out because it's not supported by mainstream culture.

ReplySendWatch