Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Wanted

we are searching for a ballet barre
By daffodil1
On Sat Jan 02, 2010 06:42 PM

We are searching for a ballet barre that is not attached to the wall. We are in the Cleveland, Ohio area.

6 Replies to we are searching for a ballet barre

re: we are searching for a ballet barre
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Sat Jan 02, 2010 06:46 PM
You likely will have to buy online. I did, and am very happy with what I have. It was shipped quickly and was easy to put together.

Google for different companies and compare prices and features. You might also want to invest in a covering for your floor, if you already have a somewhat sprung floor in your home, or a properly sprung one if you don't. Stagestep Flooring does things custom cut to your space and for a very reasonable price compared with other companies (no, I don't work for them, but was quite impressed with how good they were!).

I wish I could remember the company I bought the barre from, but I can't. Sorry! I googled and got mine that way, though.
By just_jazzin
On Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:21 PM
There are two companies I have used in the past and they are both great!
Alva's Ballet Barres- Alvas.com

Ajust-a-barre - ajustabarre.com

You can also find instructions on how to make one (DYI) on ballet board. Do a search under Ballet barre and it will find it!
By daffodil1
On Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:13 AM
Thank you I will google it today. We have a hard wood flooring does that have enough spring?
On Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:23 AM
Depends on what it's on. When you walk, does it creak a little? If not, then it's on concrete and she shouldn't jump on it. She can do other things, though. Alternatively, if you do get a floor like the type I describe below, you can put padding underneath - like a half-inch matted rug of some sort.

If it is, you still might want to get a cover for it. I bought the portable flooring - rolls up when you don't need it (basically a bit of marlay that you can roll). If you don't have something over the floor, the floor will get all scratched up. It's the only reason I got mine, actually - to preserve the wood floor underneath.
By kktt34
On Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:42 PM
barres
www.danceequipmentintl.com
www.gerstung.com . . .
stagestep.com . . .
www.en-pointe.com
www.alvas.com

If you are looking for new floors or an example of sprung floors use Harlequin Floors
www.harlequinfloors.com . . .

The freestanding ballet bar my studio uses looks like it is made out of pipes.
kktt34
On Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:56 PM
Stagestep has cheaper prices and will custom cut your floor, while Harlequin doesn't. It's a pain to do the cutting, I'm sure, especially if one doesn't have the right tools!

My dad made me my first bar literally out of cast-off pipe from the work site he was on.

I bought my current one and it is made out of pipe, but sanded down and quite nice. Also, make sure the barre/pipe is wide, not narrow, as a narrow one can hurt the foot/ankle/achilles if you're doing stretches on the barre. At my dance school, they have a couple of portables which are narrow and I always throw my towel under my ankle for protection when I have to use them.

ReplySendWatch