Forum: Arts / Books

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
2010:Reading Goals?
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 02:25 AM

Do any of you guys have reading challenges? Expand your genre? Read a certain amount of books this year? Post your goals and booklists here :)

I'm going to keep a track of how many books I read this year. I hope I read at least 40.

30 Replies to 2010:Reading Goals?

re: 2010:Reading Goals?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 02:39 AM
The past two years I've been trying to read 50 books a year. Last year I made it! (the year before I had 48-ish)

That's my goal again - 50 books.
By Teamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 02:45 AM
I'm trying for the 50 books this year. My hardest challenge is keeping track of them and making the time to read. I hope I make it at least somewhere in the vicinity.
By Ballerinacaz
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 03:04 AM
I think 50 books would be a struggle for me so I'm going to start with 30 and if I get through them quickly then I will set a higher target but I don't want to rush through books just to reach my target

I started 'My Sister's Keeper' yesterday and have only read about 20 pages so far but I'm guessing that will be the first book on my list! What's everyone else reading at the moment?
By Live_on_Broadway
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 06:51 AM
My goal this year is to actually record what books I've read, just so I know for future reference.

I just finished Roots by Alex Haley, and I'm about to start one called The Housekeeper and the Professor. It was a gift, and apparently it's about math. :)

*Gina*
By Emileigh
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 09:37 AM
26, a book every two weeks, ought to do me.
By ChristinePremium member
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:03 AM
I just finished, South of Broad, by Pat Conway.

My goal this year is to start a new book just as soon as I finish one. I find if I wait...I wait too long.

I'm going to try to stick to books recommended by others, such as the Pulitzer Prize committee. I hate it when I waste good reading time on a clunker.

Happy reading, everyone.

Keep On Dancing*
By moomintrudemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 01:52 PM
Well I've spent the last year or so only reading course books or books that are vaguely related to my course. So this year I shall aim to read only books that I actually want to :D

I think 40 will be a good starting point, maybe a few more if possible. Also I am going to aim to stop re-reading books!!

MOOM
By irishdaydreamermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 01:58 PM
I don't have a specific number picked out, so my goal is to just read more often than I do now. I'm kind of a bookworm, but I've been so busy recently, I just haven't made time for me and my books. Here are my goals for this year.

1. Read more
2. Don't reread as much. (That's a bad habit of mine. I've reread most of my books at least 8 or 9 times... :P I need to read more new material.)
3. Finish The Count Of Monte Cristo
4. Finish all the Sherlock Holmes stories.
5. Read all the Jane Austen stories. I've read most of them, but not all.
By dancingrl247
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 05:13 PM
Read more classics! I finished Jane Eyre a couple days ago and I'm reading Emma right now. I have a whole list, but if anyone has any that are their favorites, please feel free to suggest them!
By alwaysonmytoesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 05:19 PM
Hmm, I don't know! I never really think about it. I mean, this past summer, I read 58 books!

So, I guess my goal could be 75-100? :P

But more classics this year, as opposed to trashy teen stuff, lol.
By seannettaPremium member
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 06:00 PM
My reading has plummeted lately. Actually, I should be more specific: my reading of BOOKS has plummeted lately. As a journalist, I have to stay on top of a million newspapers, blogs, web sites and magazines to keep informed. And I really miss reading a good book as a result.

Here's what I'd like to get through this year. It's modest but it's a start. I own all of these books--I just haven't got around to reading them yet.

Fiction:
--Divisadero by Michael Ondaatje (halfway through this one)
--The Death of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave
--The Known World by Edward P Jones
--Chronic City by Jonathan Lethem
--The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt

Non-Fiction:
--The Age of Persuasion by Terry O'Reilly
--Air Guitar by Dave Hickey
--The World in Six Songs by Daniel J Levitin
--Haunted Weather by David Toop
--The Wire Primers by various authors
--In Search of the Miraculous by Jan Verwoert
By TobyInWonderlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:31 PM
I think I only got through 10 books last year because I was just so busy. So this year I will try to get to 30 this year.
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:15 AM
Last year I wanted to read 50 but I only got to 32, so my goal this year is 50!
By mrslovettmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:30 AM
Oooh, I've never thought of reading goals before! I love it!

Since most people are aiming for 50 books, I suppose I'll just jump on the bandwagon and try to read 50 as well. Another goal I have is reading all the books I have before rushing out and buying a million new ones.... but who am I kidding, that goal is never going to be met ;)
By xbloodandtearsxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jan 07, 2010 05:49 AM
Wow! 50 books. I'd love to read that many but I hardly have any time with college work. My aim is to finish reading all of Jodi Piccolts books (Although I have only about 5 left), to read Midnight Sun and to read the lovely bones as well as reading the books for my Lit course!
By fossegirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Jan 12, 2010 08:13 PM
I want to keep track of how many I read, and just to read more in general! I used to read 2 or 3 books a week when I was in middle school. Now I am in college and I have gotten so busy that I maybe read 2 or 3 a year!
By GingerPremium member
On Wed Jan 13, 2010 04:05 PM
I read 50 books last year! More than 50 actually...several teen/YA novels that I went through so quickly I felt bad counting them towards my total, haha. I am a ridiculously fast reader, though, and had no Internet or TV at my place for about a month, so I went through almost one novel a day.

Anyway, my goal for 2010 is another 50 books, at least 7 of which will be French. (Ideally it would be 10, but I'm saying 7 so if I go over I'll feel good...also, not sure how easy getting a hold of French books in England will be). I've read 3 already, so fingers crossed!
By T_Dance_Girl
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 06:43 PM
I want to read 40 books. I'm already at 4 and am halfway done one and a quarter done another.
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 07:58 PM
I'm currently reading my fourth/fifth book, but all mine have been pretty thick. I'm half way through one but it's boring me so I'm reading something alongside.
By DancingInTheStar
On Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:29 AM
My goal: before the end of the school year (beginning of july) I plan to read at least 7 books. I would be able to read more, but school is taking up so much time this year, don't even know if I'll manage 7.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 14, 2010 08:31 PM
I'm keeping track on this goodreads group, here's my list:

www.goodreads.com . . .
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 14, 2010 08:36 PM
I've never had that kind of reading goal, but often when I start a book I'll decide a goal for when I'll finish it. Like I might decide that I want to finish it within a week, or I might decide I need to finish it by Christmas (or whatever holiday is coming up).
On Mon Mar 15, 2010 04:46 AM
School has hampered my reading efforts, I've dropped by like 80%. It's been 2 weeks and I've only read about 250 pages of my novel, normally I'd polish it up in a couple of days. I'm going to get a book for English soon (already read it, but will have to reread because it's been awhile). So not too much leisure reading for moi. It's school holidays soon though, so may be able to read a bit more then.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Mon Mar 15, 2010 09:34 PM
I've got 1 goal and that is to do all of my reading for anatomy this semester and this summer!
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch