Poll: Ballet / Pas De Deux

What is, in your opinion, the hardest pas de deux?
By LoveBallet2008 Comments: 325, member since Sat Oct 06, 2007
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 09:17 PM

It's all in the title and the poll! Personally, I think all PDDs are the hardest! :D What about you guys?

LB2008.

19 Replies to What is, in your opinion, the hardest pas de deux?

re: What is, in your opinion, the hardest pas de deux?
By BalletdogPremium member Comments: 1181, member since Sat Jan 29, 2005
On Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:26 PM
Don Quixote Act 3...yeah, that's a hard one... :?

Rick
By tybalt Comments: 583, member since Fri Nov 24, 2006
On Wed Jan 06, 2010 06:06 AM
Blanche-Stanley (violation-PDD)in "Streetcar named desire" by John Neumaier, first realized by Marcia Haydee and Richard Cragun
By xoxomoddancer Comments: 67, member since Mon Sep 07, 2009
On Sat May 22, 2010 07:15 AM
Spring Waters not sure who cheorgraphed it but it has some pretty amazing lifts
By Sumayah Comments: 6875, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sat May 22, 2010 08:14 AM
I voted Romeo and Juliet only because the emotional level you need to pull it off is incredible and I've only seen one or two who can really successfully draw the audience in to that moment.
By tinydancer218 Comments: 85, member since Wed Apr 28, 2010
On Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:25 AM
Don Quixote act 3 is incredibly difficult!
I actually love the Rose Adage PDD in act 1 of sleeping beauty, I was given the honor and challenge of dancing Aurora some years back and fell in love with the Rose adage, but I've always been a sucker for a good adagio.
By WannaBADancer Comments: 6, member since Sun Feb 15, 2009
On Fri Aug 13, 2010 05:21 PM
I think that it really depends on which partner you are talking about, the male or the female.
By ballerinazing101 Comments: 41, member since Thu Jul 28, 2011
On Tue Aug 23, 2011 07:15 PM
Definetely the Rose Adagio... beautiful but so insanely hard!!!!!
By dreamyangel Comments: 1982, member since Mon Oct 17, 2005
On Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:40 AM
I'm torn between the Rose Adagio and Odette and Siegfried's act 2 pdd. Aurora's adagio is hard because you can destroy the number by falling out of the balance. Odette's pdd in act 2, and for the whole show really, is all about being delicate. If you can't act and be almost breakable, that number is shot too.
By Dancindave08109 Comments: 15, member since Thu Sep 01, 2005
On Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:57 PM
I think the sleeping beauty pas is very difficult for the guy. Its simple but repeats a lot and the turns to the fish are killer on the guys arms.
By mliaabmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 234, member since Mon May 16, 2011
On Thu Nov 24, 2011 04:04 AM
I was torn between the Rose adagio and the Odette/Siegfried PDD. I ended up choosing the Rose Adagio because it is technically harder as well as balancing for a long time. Odette is easy for me, I dont know how, but I just can act fragile.
By DanceOfTheHeartmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1591, member since Sun Sep 03, 2006
On Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:15 AM
Giselle and White Swan to me are probably the hardest because if anything little thing goes wrong in a slow pas, it is clearly seen. I think Giselle Act 2 is especially hard due to the lifts and the dancing of Giselle that comes right before and after the pas so you're already exhausted.

I have figured out that when it comes to pas it's either Easy PDD-Hard Variation or Hard PDD-easy variation.

~Brooke~
By CarabosseKPremium member Comments: 1778, member since Fri Feb 22, 2008
On Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:51 AM
I think a lot of it comes down to what kind of a dancer you are and where your strengths are as well. While the majority of people are saying DQ is harder, I could do that any day over Rose Adagio or a White Swan. Maybe it's the mindset and role being portrayed. I'm a little spicier and have a hard time with "sweet" roles, but give me a villian or a firecracker and I can do it.
By NDow Comments: 1286, member since Mon Jul 19, 2010
On Mon Apr 02, 2012 08:04 PM
I voted for Rose Adagio, because it is so grueling. It goes on forever (especially since Aurora is the only one dancing), and has all those bravura balances, right to the bitter end. There's so much time up en pointe! I had a friend who danced this with a major co., and she commented that the way she got through this was to listen to the music -- the way it built helped to inspire her. She said if she thought about the choreography and how tired she was, she would not have made it through that last set of balances...

But just about any on that list is right up there (I've seen Mayerling, but not often, and I really do not remember much about the pas, so I could not consider that one).

Giselle requires so much strength, and delicacy. She gets through that opening adage, she does the standard adagio, and has to get through that entrechat quatre passe section, with the traveling entrechats, looking all the time like a light as air, unconditionally loving spectre.

The Balcony PdD from Romeo and Juliet -- long, active, passionate to the nth degree, more contemporary. I always marvel at the fact that ballerinas can make it down that long, winding staircase in a split second, and even more remarkable -- they make it back up again at the end without tripping or dropping from exhaustion! This one is tough for Romeo, too. Some of the lifts are crazy, including the one where he's on his knees and press lifts Juliet, sits back on his heels and comes back up again -- ouch, my knees hurt! Sometimes that part is a little bit rocky in performance... But it's an amazing pas, one of my favorites.

The Veil Pas from La Bayadere -- it's a killer and I hold my breath the entire time... I'm always glad when it's over and Nikiya has not fallen flat on her face or been strangled by that darn thing. The rest of the PdD seems more like standard, enjoyably impossible fare.

The Black and White Pas de Deux from Swan Lake, and Don Q Pas from the Wedding Scene also require extremely steely nerves to match the choreography, technical demands and of course, artistry...

This was fun! Now I'm really looking forward to the Spring Season! Thanks, LB2008!
By PointeQueen13 Comments: 81, member since Mon May 28, 2012
On Tue May 29, 2012 06:02 PM
Don Quixote Act 3 is the hardest in my opinion!!!
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10711, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Wed May 30, 2012 11:08 AM
Onegin!
By S_H_A_O_ Comments: 234, member since Sun Apr 21, 2013
On Thu Jun 06, 2013 07:44 PM
My favorite PDD is Sleeping Beauty act II. I know it's short , but I love it so much!
By ClaraDances Comments: 6, member since Tue Jun 20, 2017
On Mon Jul 03, 2017 08:55 AM
Sleeping Beauty Act 3 Wedding Pas. Maybe it's just because it's the first pas I'm learning but It's super hard for me (the girl) and my partner is like: "THIS IS SO EASY FOR ME" while I'm lying on the floor wheezing.
By CinderEmma Comments: 135, member since Mon Sep 05, 2016
On Wed Jul 05, 2017 06:26 AM
Oh my gosh, the choreography for Don Quixote was completely INSANE, especially for my partner. I sometimes wonder if choreograhers design these routines in a dark, eerie castle in the middle of the night, and laugh like an evil villian as they choreograph, and think to themselves "ahhh...I should add THIS to the routine! THIS will definately make the prima's practice more miserable! Hahaha!" (No, sadly I wasn't a prima)

I do have to admit that Rose Adage has some pretty nasty choreography as well, but I really liked it and I just loved the Aurora costume as well as the music. Although, I do remember a lot of us taking some pretty hard falls to the floor during the grueling ordeal of eternal practice sessions.
By Kathymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 10711, member since Wed Mar 05, 2003
On Wed Jul 05, 2017 06:50 AM
Onegin third act, bedroom pas de deux.
It´s not only technically very very challenging, but emotionally as well.
Both dancers must be very good actors to really give live to this pas de deux.

ReplySendWatch