Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Jazz and ballet turns?
By aDancingGirl101
On Fri Jan 08, 2010 04:32 PM

Ok, so I now that there are a lot of ballet turns that can be done in jazz (either done or changed to a jazz turn), but exactly what turns are there in a ballet that you CAN'T do in jazz?

I mean like can you do fouette's in ballet but NOT in jazz?

I hope I'm clear in what I mean...

2 Replies to Jazz and ballet turns?

re: Jazz and ballet turns?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Fri Jan 08, 2010 06:34 PM
Not at all clear, but I'll try:

There are some turns that are modified to be in jazz, but that doesn't make them the same turn. For example, ballet pirouettes are turned out and classically, jazz pirouettes are turned in. Even though they are both pirouettes, they aren't the same turn.

Fouettes are the same: there are classical ballet fouettes, but the are different than the most common jazz fouettes. Pique turns are different as well.

Changing them slightly is still changing them, and thus they are a different turn. Most ballet turns wouldn't fit in with the majority of jazz choreography, so they're not the same thing.
re: Jazz and ballet turns?
By aDancingGirl101
On Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:44 PM
Sorry, now that I read this I can't remember exactly what I was wanted to ask... o.O

I guess is there any kind of list that has ballet turns and jazz turns? Sometimes I don't know if something in ballet can be changed into jazz...

Sorry! I'm not being clear at all.

I think someone can just delete this.

ReplySendWatch