Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Rehardening pointe shoes...
By dancer4ever_xo
On Mon Jan 11, 2010 02:12 PM

I think my pointe shoes are dead, but I'm not completely sure. I'm going to ask my teacher about it soon but I want to know if you could reharden your pointe shoes with regular glue such as Elmer's glue and not always have to use jet. I heard that you could reharden it by sticking it in the freezer or something... Well, anyway, I'd appreciate if you guys would help me by answering my question =D

16 Replies to Rehardening pointe shoes...

re: Rehardening pointe shoes...
By Serendipity42Premium member
On Mon Jan 11, 2010 02:34 PM
I used to use Elmers when I was a kid - no it does not work well.

If you don't want to use jet glue, you can use the shellac that one uses on furniture. That was my second choice but it worked the best - way back when! :)
By DizzyLizzie
On Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:03 PM
I have put some of my shoes in the freezer. For me it works for a little bit but not for long.

I have also used super glue, which works really well for me. I don't think that regular Elmer's glue would work, but who knows maybe it could work. I would be scared to try that though.
By dancer285member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 18, 2010 09:48 AM
I have never personally tried this but baking them in an oven helps a lot because it redries the glue and rehardens it. They actually had a pointe shoe oven in Houston when I went last summer.
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:04 AM
Since this thread is in Pointe-Beginners, I'm assuming you're a beginner. Because of that, I would not recommend you start using glue to re-harden your shoes. Using glue sounds simple, but placing it correctly requires you to know exactly where you need support from your shoe, which you most likely don't have quite enough experience to know yet. If you put it in the wrong place it could harm your alignment, give you blisters, etc. Your teacher might be able to help you, but at this point I think your best bet is just to buy a new pair of shoes.
By dancer4ever_xo
On Mon Jan 18, 2010 02:42 PM
I did try sticking it in the freezer for two days. It felt better doing pointe in class but after a while it sort of softened again... I've only had my pointe shoes for roughly six months... is that a normal time for them to soften?
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jan 18, 2010 02:55 PM
The freezer...? What's that supposed to do, exactly?

Try the oven. Preheat to 200 degrees F, then turn it off and put the shoes in until the oven cools. I usually leave them overnight so I don't have to keep checking. This will dry the sweat out of the shoes and re-harden the glue.
By dancer4ever_xo
On Mon Jan 18, 2010 02:57 PM
really? That's hard to imagine. I heard that heat would melt the glue and stuff...
On Mon Jan 18, 2010 03:04 PM
It's not that kind of glue.
By dancer4ever_xo
On Mon Jan 18, 2010 03:10 PM
oh ok. Can anything bad happen if you leave the pointe shoes in the oven for too long?
On Tue Jan 19, 2010 07:14 AM
Arak wrote:

The freezer...? What's that supposed to do, exactly?

Try the oven. Preheat to 200 degrees F, then turn it off and put the shoes in until the oven cools. I usually leave them overnight so I don't have to keep checking. This will dry the sweat out of the shoes and re-harden the glue.

If you turn the oven off, nothing bad is going to happen to them. Like I said, I leave them overnight and take them out in the morning.

However, I do have a cautionary tale: My friend's mom was trying to be helpful to her one day and offered to do this for her when she was busy with a bunch of other stuff and she didn't know to turn the oven off before putting the shoes in. They came out golden brown and brittle.
By dancer4ever_xo
On Mon Jan 25, 2010 01:28 PM
Yeah I know you said that you turn it off before ou put the shoes in. What I'm tryin to say is wouldn't it still burn your shoes to expose them to such high heat? Because they're from satin right? And when you expose the satin ribbons to heat, it melts... so wouln't the satin on the shoes be the same way?
By Balletdancer980
On Tue Jan 26, 2010 06:03 PM
Use this guide, and it should help:

When the box of the shoe softens, it is generally time to buy new shoes. If, for financial or availability reasons, this is impossible, the following is a temporary solution. NOTE: This will NOT return your shoes to their original hardness. You can expect only a few added wearings.

Apply commercial liquid floor wax to the tip, pleats, and box of the shoe with a old toothbrush. Apply only to the outside of the shoe, and only where the hardness is desired. Stuff the boxes with newspaper, and fold the ribbons inside the shoes. Place on a baking sheet in a cold oven. Bake at 250 degrees for 3 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the shoes inside overnight. Be sure to tell your family that your shoes are in the oven, so that they won't preheat them for breakfast.
By Balletdancer980
On Tue Jan 26, 2010 06:06 PM
also, after baking, you may want to apply pointe shoe makeup, as needed.
www.discountdance.com . . .
By Balletdancer980
On Wed Jan 27, 2010 03:27 PM
sorry, that last comment, the link just goes to the home page, it is in pointe shoe accessories, I think it's KRYOLA(doubt it though), starts with a k.
By dancer4ever_xo
On Sun Jan 31, 2010 05:30 PM
Ok thanks for the help. I'm wondering... I've only been doing pointe for about 6 months now 2 times a week for like 10 minutes or so at the end of every two hour class. They're Grishko 2007 Proflex. Is this a normal time for them to be softening?
By sissou
On Tue Feb 02, 2010 07:58 AM
Hi,

For the last past 15 years ,I used shellac that I either did myself or bought in store.You can find shellac in spray at the Home depot or Lowes.It is afordable and does a great job.I,personnaly spray my point shoes when they are new,so they last longer.And after that, I spray them right after reharsals.They dry fast and I can use them again next day!

ReplySendWatch