Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

I was asked to wear something over my tights
By Jutty04901
On Tue Jan 12, 2010 02:58 PM

Last month after I arrived at the studio for class, the director told me that I had to wear something over my tights. She had a parent of one of the younger students approach her about me being in the class and wearing tights.

I started taking class at a new studio this fall. In our adult class there was just 3 of us, two other girls a few years younger than me. After 2 or 3 classes, the school director who had been teaching the class asked us if we wouldn't mind joining the level 3/4 class, so we did. there are usually about 10 in the class beside us adults. the younger students are probably 8, 9 and 10 year olds and then a few, 3 or 4, teenagers.

has anyone experienced anything like this? I do wear dance belts but living in a society where ballet is considered "just for girls" by some, you would wonder if any parents would be knowledgable about that guys wear dancebelts.

15 Replies to I was asked to wear something over my tights

re: I was asked to wear something over my tights
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jan 12, 2010 08:31 PM
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2010-01-12 20:33:03
Yes, I've heard about this exact thing happening before, but never experienced it myself. Tights and dancebelt ARE normal, traditional ballet wear for men; so there's really nothing wrong with it. But some ballet studios are set up as a "girl zone," and that's why the parents send their kids there. Anyway, you have a few possible options:

* Comply with the request, get a pair of dance shorts or something.
* Comply with the request while making a point, thrown on a dance skirt.
* Explain that what you're wearing is normal and accepted for men in ballet, and men have been a part of ballet forever, and suggest they might try to educate the kid (and parent) in question.
By dancer_boi08
On Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:00 PM
Are you serious?!?!?! I can not belive this happens I never thought it would. The studio I come from theu are looking for guy like crazy and they are wanting us to wear the traditional ballet attire. This is just crazy, I am still just shocked that parents are that ignornant about dance that they would do that. I am just so SHOCKED!!!!
By luv2plie
On Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:59 PM
Those parents need to GROW up and be less ignorant! GUys that takes ballet wear a dance belt and black tights! That is part of the uniform. Do you wear shorts over you tights during a performance on stage?

I would change studio because that studio is being silly and I would NOT waste my money there!

My dance studio has over 40 guys taking ballet and NONE of them wear shorts over their tights!

Kev
By Old_Ballet_Dude
On Wed Jan 13, 2010 05:50 AM
I've never encoutered that. I've been in my dance belt and tights around kids of all ages and parents to and I've never heard any unusual comments, or been requsted to cover up my crotch. I guess some parents are a little too over protective.
By rebornballerino
On Wed Jan 13, 2010 06:34 PM
WOW i came into my dance studio with a dance belt but instead of tights i was wearing thosE short cropped dance shorts that are BASICALLY like underwear. and leg warmers. The one mother said i look fashionable and ready for dance!
By tybalt
On Thu Jan 14, 2010 01:30 AM
If you are not even supported by the director of your studio in wearing what is normal male ballet attire I should advise you to change the studio.
By Jutty04901
On Thu Jan 14, 2010 07:26 AM
I think her concern is that I'm in a class in which half of the dancers in that class are like 9 or 10 years old. There are a couple teenage boys in the class that takes place before mine and they are wearing tights with nothing over them.
By TidalWhale
On Thu Jan 14, 2010 09:04 AM
The last studio I took at was the same way. They preffered if I wore shorts over my tights or a long shirt to cover everything. But there was a teacher there that would allow me to take my shorts off because she didnt agree with the rule.

What was even worse wer there costumes for men. They were like moo-moo's. For the nutcracker I had to wear black tights for snow, because they said that white tights were too revealing (I was wearing two pair!!) For the divertisments the tunic-like tops were so long that they would touch my calves!!!

What this has done for me has made me self conscious about my appearance in tights, especially white ones. Now at my new stuido they are very strict about the tucked in tee and tights and I feel naked. The majority of the time just stay in the back of the room so no one sees me!
By guyclone
On Sat Jan 16, 2010 07:06 PM
I agree with Tybalt. How can the studio expect you to take them seriously as a learning institute if they don't allow you to wear the normal uniform.
Perhaps another studio where you are in a more age appropriate class???
By Nutcracker_Boy
On Sun Jan 17, 2010 06:16 PM
Jutty, are you wearing standard black men's tights? If you are conforming to traditional dress code and not wearing something see-thru, the school is way out of line to ask you to cover up.
By jocknballettight
On Mon Jan 18, 2010 06:23 AM
HEY JUTTY
I so agree with the guys here IF you are in class in tights and dance belt what's the big deal...dance schools are dying for boys and men to take ballet and stay with it...I have taken large group ballet where GOD like near half the class didn't wear regulation gear so really the teacher had no idea what your legs were doing under your BAGGY SWEAT pants...
they need to see your line etc
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Jan 22, 2010 08:49 AM
Edited by SilverGreyDancer (93787) on 2010-01-22 08:50:29
It would seem that you have moved on to a better place. I would guess that the new studio is more about ballet and less about prudery. Good luck!
By seamless
On Fri Jan 22, 2010 02:12 PM
That does seem a little peculiar. Are the boys in your class wearing dance belts in the proper way that accentuates the divide of the gluteus maximus? Or are you the only one doing so? Perhaps the parent is clueless and thinks that their daughter is being privy to sights that are beyond her age. Well, there's several considerations here: 1) you're wearing acceptable attire in the proper way, 2) the girls in the class should be focused on their art, not staring at the bodies of boys in the class, and 3) you're not exposing yourself.

If the director can't see that the issue doesn't lie with you but with the parent, then either you remind the director of the "reality" of the situation or you move onto another class. But if the class is to your liking, I'd be sure to fight this the proper way.
By starry1
On Fri Jan 22, 2010 02:24 PM
I think, sometimes, in this country, prudeness is taken to a whole new level. C'mon - time to grow up. It's the uniform. If the girls are really young, well then they won't even be looking at a guy/boy in that kind of a way. It won't register to them.

C'mon....
By elasticboy
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:00 AM
I am only 10 years old doing grade2/3 rad in a class full of girls ..some younger than me..but my teacher said i was to wear proper uniform which is a white leotard with black mens ballet tights over the top..i dont wear a dance belt yet..just tight underpants..but no complaints from parents or students..we are all too busy learning how to dance.. i do wonder what the parents and girls at your class would think if they went to see a proper balet on stage..they would probably be offended at eh male attire and complain to the production company..i wonder how far that complaint would get!

ReplySendWatch