Forum: General / Modern / Modern Dance Videos

Modern Dance Videos
Contact Improvisation
By nodoubt_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1510, member since Thu May 13, 2004
On Thu Jan 21, 2010 09:02 PM

I started up contact improvisation again this semester so I felt like looking up videos of it on youtube...

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .

8 min documentary on contact improv
www.youtube.com . . .

10 Replies to Contact Improvisation

re: Contact Improvisation
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 18126, member since Sun Aug 13, 2000
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:15 PM
I love contact improv! I taught my husband - who is not a dancer - how to do it just so I could have someone to do it with. He thought it was fun. :)
By heartscartsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 703, member since Mon Mar 27, 2006
On Tue Feb 16, 2010 02:41 PM
I LOVE CONTACT IMPROV!

My modern teacher is having us do it this year, and it's been an amazing experience, and i've become SUCH a better dancer because of it.!
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Feb 16, 2010 03:19 PM
That looks like a lot of fun! Although I am not sure how comfortable I would be with many people getting THAT close to me, a bit like sex with clothes on.
I am taking a modern dance class at college and I really hope that we get to do this.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 09:10 PM
This kind of reminds me of the game Twister. It looks like it would be a lot of fun if you had people trained enough that they wouldn't clobber each other. I'll bet people trained in martial arts could do it well even if they didn't have any modern dance training.
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4405, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 03:26 PM
My sophomore year I did a weekend workshop with Nancy Stark Smith, such an amazing experience. I love contact, it's been way too long since I've done it though.
By Fun_In_Phoenix Comments: 14, member since Tue Feb 16, 2010
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 01:20 PM
Re: jazz_lover

I was unsure how weird it would be the first time contact improv was introduced in class. Our teacher didn't really warn us (maybe she knew we'd be freaked out) and for me that was a good plan. By the time I had a grasp of what was going on, I was past the "wow, I'm touching lots of people" thing.

I think it was ok with me because it was in the context of dance class and I understood the purpose behind it.

Haha, however you should have seen my husbands face when I explained it to him!
By nodoubt_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1510, member since Thu May 13, 2004
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 04:21 PM
What my contact professor says is... contact is sensual not sexual.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Feb 24, 2010 08:41 PM
That looks awesome! I really want to try that. I've been told by my first modern teacher to not be afraid to touch each other during improv - but it never really worked because people where a little on the shy side of this type of thing. Now at college in modern I've tried to get someone to work with me during group improv, but they look at me like I'm crazy.

One day...
By dancelover269 Comments: 132, member since Wed Nov 04, 2009
On Fri Feb 26, 2010 08:21 AM
I HATE contact improv one time I had to do it with someone like 5 years older than me it was terrible!!!!
By Purplepopsicle Comments: 4, member since Sun Feb 14, 2010
On Fri Feb 26, 2010 08:24 AM
I always get too into the contat improv to remember to be wierded out.

ReplySendWatch