Page:
Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4
Burger King To Sell Beer
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 05:33 PM
Edited by DancinDiva2005 (17591) on 2010-01-23 17:35:31

www.nydailynews.com . . .

----
Personally, I think it's a great idea. I know that many other countries have beer/wine offered on their menus, and I think it's be a good moneymaker.
I noticed that in the comments section, a lot of people were saying how everyone was going to be completely smashed now whenever they're walking around Burger King--but, not everyone who drinks a beer with their burger is going in there to get drunk. It's just a different drink option.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. What about you? What do you think?

77 Replies to Burger King To Sell Beer

re: Burger King To Sell Beer (karma: 1)
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 05:36 PM
When I lived in Spain, beer was offered at fast food places everywhere, and it was not a big deal.

As long as it's not offered in the drive throughs, hahaha.
re: Burger King To Sell Beer
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 05:44 PM
Yeah, as long as it's not offered on the drive through menus, I'm cool. I honestly don't think more people will suddenly get more drunk just because Burger King starts offering beer. It's not that big of a deal.
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 05:49 PM
Oh man..I just saw this in the comments:

I don't know about this one; maybe okay; but, what if they miss and put beer in with a kid's meal? ....

Um. Seriously?
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 05:51 PM
^Haha. Beer is not going to come out of the soda fountain. Promise.
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 05:53 PM
Edited by DancinDiva2005 (17591) on 2010-01-23 17:57:41
^Party in the playpen!!

..or ball pit! :D
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 06:14 PM
While I can't remember the last time in my entire life that I went to a Burger King, I think it's an awesome idea! Personally, I think beer should be available more places. I prefer that with a meal over pop any day.

I think it's an interesting comment on (North) American society that whenever alcohol is offered in public, people's first reaction is that people are going to get wasted. Is it really that hard to believe that alcohol can be available for consumption in public without people going completely crazy?
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 06:31 PM
webstAr wrote:

I think it's an interesting comment on (North) American society that whenever alcohol is offered in public, people's first reaction is that people are going to get wasted. Is it really that hard to believe that alcohol can be available for consumption in public without people going completely crazy?

This. I can't think of anything less appealing than getting wasted in a public place, and everyone I know feels the same. If you're going to get party-hardy drunk, it's overwhelmingly more fun to do it at your own house or a friend's house, when you can puke in a clean toilet and crash on the couch, no driving or walking home required :P Getting drunk at Burger King sounds hideously unappealing.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 06:54 PM
But what about the workers? So many teenagers work there and it is illegal for minors to serve alcohol is it not?
By MaxwellPremium member
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 07:37 PM
^I think that you can when you're 18, which many high school kids already are. Plus, there has to be at least one adult working every night, right?

Anyway, I don't exactly find myself cheering at the fact that a giant unhealthy food corporation has found ways to suck up more money, but I could care less that it is beer.
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 07:49 PM
But what about the workers? So many teenagers work there and it is illegal for minors to serve alcohol is it not?

From what I understand, that's more of a Canadian thing. I could be completely wrong though..
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 07:53 PM
Edited by DancinDiva2005 (17591) on 2010-01-23 19:54:05
^They've found ways to deal with the serving laws at grocery stores, sit-down restaurants..etc, I'm sure they could find a way to do it at a Burger King.

And yeah, the law is that you need to be 18 or older to serve, and obviously 21 to consume.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 09:29 PM
Edited by Celebrian (127245) on 2010-01-23 21:30:35
I almost never go to Burger King but Woo hoo, I'm going to Burger King NOW! JK, JK, no but for real though...I'm going to Burger King, lol!

All jokes aside, I don't know what to think about this. I think I might have to go to one and get a beer and see first. ;) Then I can tell you what I think. :] But can you get the beer without the burger, lol!
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:40 PM
Finally, someone is realizing that drinking doesn't have to equal being trashed in a BK! I don't know anyone that would actually do that, besides some high schoolers with nothing better to do, and they won't even be able to buy it there.

On the servers' ages: Based on my McD's knowledge, I'd guess they'll have someone over 21 as the designated "beer person" on each shift, so teenagers can take the orders, but the beer guy would have to be the one to actually serve it.
By kandykanePremium member
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:15 AM
Since I don't like beer, this means nothing to me, personally. I won't ever buy one from BK or anywhere else. BUT... I don't think it's a good idea. I just see lots of problems with this. It's going to be easily abused. I have no doubt the decision was made based on profit alone.

I don't like it when alcohol is served to adults at kids parties. It's kind of the same thing.

kk~
By Angelinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 04:18 AM
I used to work in a restaurant and was always allowed to hand alcoholic drinks to people, but someone over 18 on the bar had to make the drink.

I don't get why this is a big deal either. They serve alcohol in most fast-food places in Europe (although not in the UK). I can't imagine people getting so het up about it here.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 07:30 AM
We have one fast food chain in our town that does serve beer. Jerry's Subs and Pizza. It is a regional chain. The way they do it is that the "adult" on premises has to ring up the sale and someone over 18 has to man the tap. (Drinking age here as in all of the US is 21.) I've never seen anyone drunk at our local Jerry's.

We have quite a number of non-chain restaurants around here in which burgers/pizza/sandwiches are a main menu item and beer and even full bar service is offered. The enforcement of underage drinking is very strict and the police/liquor control people use police cadets (many high school age) to test the system. There are hefty fines for the establishment if they are caught selling to underage and ID's are frequently checked. My daughter and daughter-in-law, who share a birthday - they were born 15 minutes apart - were both carded in my presence on their 31st birthdays. These places do not restrict entry to people under the drinking age.

Jon
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 08:52 AM
. It's going to be easily abused.

I don't get how it would easily be abused. It's not like people are going to be saying "YEAH!!! Let's go get trashed at the BK!!!!!!!"
re: Burger King To Sell Beer (karma: 1)
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:37 AM
I tell you first hand not everyone who drinks, drinks to get drunk.

I work a lot of concerts here and we serve alcohol at all of them. Even then young teens shows (Think Hedley and Mission District). They have been very very few times where people drink to the point where they are drunk when there are younger teens around. The older teens do sometimes, but we have only had 1 or 2 problems with the drunk ones in the past 2 years.

I don't think many people will be going "Woo! Lets go down to the BK lounge and get drunk with the 6 year olds!"

That does not even sound fun.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:14 AM
It's actually a really smart move on the part of Burger King. Profits out the wazoo, plus now they're upgrading from just being a fast-food joint to a place where people will go and hang out at the bar... like Friday's or Applebee's or whatever.

As for it being abused - if you are going out intending to abuse alcohol, you are not going to spend $4.25 on one beer. You are going to the liquor store and spending that $4.25 on a 12 pack of Natty Lite. That is how you get schwasteyface.

I love the idea, personally. I like the way beer tastes a lot more than I like sodas, and it disappoints me that I can't order it more at casual meals. Though, um, can't say I'm gonna be hanging out at the BK bar. That's a little ew, yeah.
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:03 PM
That's not the kind of "abuse" I see happening. Although I'm sure somene, sometime WILL get drunk, cops will have to be called, etc. And won't that be fun to explain to the kiddies.

The kind of abuse I see happening is teenage workers passing out beer to their underage friends when the adults are not looking. I used to work in bars and fast food and it just seems a bad mix to me. I saw alcohol being sold to underage kids all the time. The bartender in one place used to fix drinks for one of the waitresses who he KNEW was underage. We also all drank while working. Yes, it happens.

Is it going to be bottled or canned? Or a tap? A tap is much easier to abuse. Will it be put in the same kind of cup as fountain drinks? If so, it's easier to hide by underage kids.

Many places get very busy and supervision slips up. Alcohol and teenage workers is a bad combination when supervision slips up. Yes, there are consequences if an underage person gets caught drinking or slipping drinks to other underage persons. But, we all know, many times, they don't get caught.

kk~
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:14 PM
As for it being abused - if you are going out intending to abuse alcohol, you are not going to spend $4.25 on one beer. You are going to the liquor store and spending that $4.25 on a 12 pack of Natty Lite. That is how you get schwasteyface.

I agree with this so much...sure, there are a few people who have a lot of money and might think it's funny to drink a lot at a Burger King, but really, how many of those people exist? I don't understand the idea that everybody will suddenly become a drunkard if alcohol is accessible in some "new" way. My state is currently dealing with the "No alcohol sales on Sundays" issue and the stuff people say ASTOUNDS me. I wonder if some of them live in THIS reality or if they're in some place of their own...

And anyway, I was at a show last night and drank two bottled drinks that were freaking $4.50 each, realized that for the price of two I could have had a six pack, and decided that I wasn't going to buy that drink at shows anymore. The hard liquor is cheaper! Getting wasted off of stuff like beer just takes up too much room in the stomach anyway, haha.
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 01:09 PM
As for it being abused, I'm sure they have cameras already installed over the registers like most places do, and if the cameras catch you serving underage..you get fired. It's illegal..so out the door you go.

Sure, someone will be able to get away with it, but for the most part, I'm sure rules will be in place and enforced. People really need to chill out..it's beer. Mainly a beer,

And yeah, I agree. If you want to get drunk, the first place on most people's lists wouldn't be the local Burger King.
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 01:27 PM
To me, it isn't much different than a Red Robin serving alcohol. It's very much a glorified sit-down kid's restaurant. I've never seen anyone bat an eyelash at that..

Is it going to be bottled or canned? Or a tap? A tap is much easier to abuse. Will it be put in the same kind of cup as fountain drinks? If so, it's easier to hide by underage kids.

I've never ever seen beer served in an opaque container. Of course they wouldn't be served in a fountain drink cup..
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 03:22 PM
One of the links said they were to be sold in special aluminum bottles, so the tap/cup problem is not an issue. But, it's easier to slip one in your pocket.

My local grocery store removed an in store walk-in cooler because high school kids were shoplifting beers.

Look, my point is that when you are dealing with responsible people, there often is not a problem with alcohol. But, we all know that not everyone is responsible. People will find ways to get around the rules. They always do.

Offering beer at BK is all about marketing. BK is just trying to get a bigger slice of the fastfood buck. But, if kids are around, I don't like alcohol being around, too. Bad combo. I don't like beer at Disney, the bowling alley, the movies, whatever. Just my opinion.

kk~
Page:
Page 1 of 4: 1 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch