Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

A beginner Paus De Deux class...
By Evi12345
On Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:28 AM

Hi Guys!

I am very eager to start my very first Paus De Deux class in February. Except, I have never ever ever ever ever (sorry about all the evers... LoL) danced with a partner! I am little nervous. I know the owner of my dance studio is going to teach s my friends and I with her husband (who was also a dancer) but I'm a little worried and curious. What do you do in a Pas De Deux class? In the comments/replies below please tell me what you think I should be prepared for and expect on my first class. Thank you guys!

Evi12345 :-*

3 Replies to A beginner Paus De Deux class...

re: A beginner Paus De Deux class...
By BalletdogPremium member
On Wed Jan 27, 2010 09:08 AM
As a lady who is going to start pas de deux, two important things to do are:

1. When being partnered, always hold your core with strength. It's much easier for a guy to partner a "solid board" than to partner a "wet noodle."

2. Don't try to get your balance back on your own when your partner (or you) takes you off balance. It's his job to feel how you're off balance, and take you back to balance. Just hold yourself solid, so he can more easily feel which direction you're off balance, and then correct you.

Just so you know, if a lady is a decent student ballet dancer, it isn't actually very hard to learn much of partnering if the guy is an experienced partner. (If the guy is also a beginning partnering student, then he will struggle trying to feel your balance, etc.)

Good luck and have fun,

Rick
By Attitude1407
On Thu Jan 28, 2010 09:25 PM
Don't be scared of it! I used to be, but then I learned that it's not a big deal at all. It's fun with a good partner, and if the studio owner's husband is an experienced partner, hopefully he will be good. Will he be doing all of the partnering or are there any guys in the class?

Balletdog, this advice is interesting: "Don't try to get your balance back on your own when your partner (or you) takes you off balance." I never, ever thought that I shouldn't try to regain my balance myself, but I now recognize that I have a habit of trying too hard to cling to my own balance and not "surrendering" enough to my partner. I'm finally learning to let go of this self-preservation tendency, just hold my body and let my partner take care of the rest!

Evi, enjoy your pas de deux classes! Good luck. :)
By Evi12345
On Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:54 PM
There are boys in the class and I start this Friday. The boys are beginners too. And the husband of the owner was a professional dancer, too. :)

ReplySendWatch