Forum: Highland / Highland - Choreography

How do you tell if your music is "celtic" or "scottish"
By justdoit
On Mon Jan 25, 2010 05:55 PM

A lot of choreography competitions specify that music must be of "celtic" or "scottish" theme...what does that mean? I mainly look for fiddle or pipes but with some of the more modern music, it is hard to tell. For example, is "Hey Jude" by Red Hot Chilli Pipers ok to use because they are playing it on the bagpipes? Or other adaptations of spanish or indian music, but using fiddle or pipes?

4 Replies to How do you tell if your music is "celtic" or "scottish"

re: How do you tell if your music is "celtic" or "scottish"
By HighlandBum
On Mon Jan 25, 2010 07:18 PM
I try to look for piping/fiddling as well. I am doing a trio using one of the songs by the Red Hot Chilli Pipers.
By HighlandHottie05member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 09, 2010 03:09 PM
I think that this really depends on who you talk to. My sister and I like to push the limits with out "celtic themed music" .. I mean anything related to scottish/irish culture is considered of relative celtic theme right? This is our duet song for a competitioin this weekend : www.muzu.tv . . .

Although the judge may not know it, this is an irish group and they are singing in Gaelic. We may or may not get docked marks for using something the judge may not consider celtic.. I will let you know how it goes as far as placing with "less celtic music" goes
By scotdancer
On Tue Feb 09, 2010 04:29 PM
At the SDCCS coreography competition in Victoria a couple years ago, the winning large group danced to The Chili Pipers Hey Jude. It was a really fun number too!
By Banaoire
On Tue Feb 09, 2010 09:31 PM
What a good question Justdoit. I've wondered about this myself. It would be nice if the SOBHD would actually clarify this "rule." Seems like the instrumentation would be the most important thing since it's so difficult to find true Scottish music unless it's on the bagpipes. Fiddles and other "celtic" instruments are used in many kinds of folk music. My husband found out about a group from Brittany (France) that plays all kinds of crazy celtic inspired music -- but they're not Scots!

ReplySendWatch