Forum: Ballet / Pas De Deux

How do you know if you are to heavy for Pas?
By Peanutdancer52
On Thu Jan 28, 2010 04:14 PM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-01-28 16:40:25 height / weight ratios not allowed

Hi I am 5'1 and XXX pounds i am 15 years old. I do not look fat and i was wondering am i too heavy for Pas. Thanks for you feedback.

Olivia

8 Replies to How do you know if you are to heavy for Pas?

Comment #8791082 deleted
Removed by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-01-28 16:54:30 You may not repost height/weight information after it has been removed. Height/weight posts are not permitted on DDN.

re: How do you know if you are to heavy for Pas? (karma: 1)
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jan 28, 2010 05:34 PM
You're only too heavy for pas if you can't support yourself - i.e. if you don't have a strong core, good balance, etc. Any guy will tell you that it's easier to lift a larger woman who is in good control of her body than a tiny woman who flails and flops all over the place. So stop worrying about your weight and go do some core strength exercises :)
re: How do you know if you are to heavy for Pas?
By BalletdogPremium member
On Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:50 AM
Dana^ is absolutely correct. A lady holding her core solid will make it much easier to partner her, irregardless of her weight or height.

Rick
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 30, 2010 06:15 AM
Good technique is the most important thing. I have seen little bitty sticks of girls make terrible pas partners because they don't hold their cores and don't help at all, and generally look and act like a sack of potatoes. And then I have seen stocky girls make excellent partners because they know what they are supposed to do and they do it. Unless you are morbidly obese, your weight has very little to do with it.
By loveballet101
On Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:23 PM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2010-02-04 08:21:11 let's please not discuss specific weights here. it can be very triggering.
it mainly has to do with the way you hold yourself. remember to really jump and pull up before lifts

in general, if you feel you're large for normal ballet, you're big for pas. but losing 10 lbs isn't going to make you a great partner. the difference between partnering someone XXX lbs and XXX lbs is practically not noticeable. in fact, the heavier girl may be stronger and more capable of supporting herself
By TidalWhale
On Thu Feb 04, 2010 09:49 AM
I have partnered dancers of all shapes and sizes. The hardest one I partnered litterally had a void where her center was supposed to be. Just work on your technique and do some centering excersizes and you will do just fine.
By Nutcracker_Boy
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 06:07 PM
If you're bigger than your partner, he may beg off doing lifts with you, but most of the things you learn in Pas aren't lifts, so your weight is really not an issue.
By Attitude1407
On Sun Feb 07, 2010 07:58 PM
Case in point...

A beginner boy at my SI tried fish dives with two girls about 5 lbs. apart, moi being the heavier one. He lifted the lighter girl first, but she didn't hold her center very well, and he dropped her on her face. He tried me next (yeah I was thrilled, LOL) and was able to complete the lift successfully. It was obviously my core strength that made it possible for the boy to support me when he couldn't support the lighter but "looser" girl.

Of course, though, it's best if the girl is proportionate to her partner -- so if a girl is very large, it's only natural that a larger partner would be better suited to her. My partner is almost exactly equal to my size, so... I'm on a diet, trying to stay smaller than he is. :P

ReplySendWatch