Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Hot Power Vinyasa? What level would I be at?
By MissErinDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 30, 2010 03:33 AM

I'm looking into taking some hot yoga classes. Being from a relatively small town, my options are limited to one studio. They offer "Hot Power Vinyasa" in beginner, normal, and advanced. The class I regularly attend (twice or so a week, at a separate studio) is called "Vinyasa Flow" no level designation. So I was basically wondering if I would be alright in the average Hot Power class? I can do all of the advanced poses in the Vinyasa Flow with little-mild difficulty so I'm thinking the beginner Hot may be too easy? Also, is there a significant difference between Power and Flow Vinyasa? Thanks in advance.

2 Replies to Hot Power Vinyasa? What level would I be at?

re: Hot Power Vinyasa? What level would I be at?
By NadiaLadidamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:25 AM
Yoga class descriptions are so convoluted these days, that aside from a few very specific designations (Ashtanga. Iyengar, Bikram, Anusara, etc) the only way to really know what kind of class you'll get is to go take the class.

But looking at what you have described, the 'Hot Power Vinyasa' is likely to be a Baron Baptiste influenced practice geared to a specific level. The 'Vinyasa Flow' could likely be any influence practiced in a mixed-level environment - as you describe, in which case the 'advanced' postures you are practicing are probably not that advanced.

So, it sounds as though you'd be safe starting out in the normal level at the hot studio. If it's too challenging, go to the beginner class next time.
re: Hot Power Vinyasa? What level would I be at?
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:32 AM
At the studio I go to, they offer a hot Vinyasa class. It specifically says it's not appropriate for people who aren't experienced doing hot yoga. If you've never done a hot class before, you may want to try a more basic class. Also, there's nothing saying you can't go by the studio and ask the staff if it's appropriate for your experience level.

ReplySendWatch