Popular Teachers

Port de bras exercises by kr_WDance
Hi all, I have a few intermediate dancers that need help with port de bras- (3 with...

Forum: Ballet / Ballet Intensives

Ballet Intensives
Questions About Bolshoi Ballet Summer Intensive NYC en>fr fr>en
By WildThing Comments: 1, member since Wed Feb 03, 2010
On Wed Feb 03, 2010 05:40 PM

I am fifteen years old and looking into summer intensives for this summer (I will be then 16). I heard of Bolshoi's relatively new(?) program in NYC and was interested. I am thinking of auditioning but I would appreciate any feedback regarding the audition or the program. I have heard that the teachers are very harsh, but I have also heard people have loved it. Also, regarding the audition/selectivity of the program: what is the level/body type accepted? If it helps I have attended Interlochen, Festival Ballet, and Spindle City Ballet's intensives and been accepted to Boston's. I have been en pointe for 4 years, and been dancing since I was 3. Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated!

7 Replies to Questions About Bolshoi Ballet Summer Intensive NYC

re: Questions About Bolshoi Ballet Summer Intensive NYC en>fr fr>en
By loveballet101 Comments: 240, member since Tue Jan 08, 2008
On Wed Feb 03, 2010 08:20 PM
i've never been, but i have a friend who attended last year. SHE LOVED IT and she improved a lot. her technique was so much stronger upon her return. i think that in general, russian teachers, especially those who haven't been in the US for long, are quite strict and harsh. but i think that in general, russian teachers have a lot of passion for what they do. unlike a lot of american dancers, who are often forced to go into teaching after retiring from performing because they didn't get a good academic education, russian ballet dancers are more highly respected, and have more opportunities to pursue other careers after dance. if they choose to teach, it's because they love it

i would definitely recommend the program over boston, which i have attended. classes there were huge, teachers played favorites and i felt that quantity of classes was valued over quality
By msn Comments: 11, member since Fri Jan 22, 2010
On Thu Feb 04, 2010 04:49 PM
My daughter attended 2 years ago and loved the program so much a few other girls from our school went the following year. You will see all types of body types and the instruction is top notch. My daughter loved the teachers and even took privates on Saturdays. The teachers are very kind, matter of fact they were much stricter @ Kirov than at Bolshoi. If you have the opportunity go, everyone I know that auditioned got in. Good luck:)
By ADS Comments: 1, member since Sun Feb 21, 2010
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 05:08 PM
Could you tell me where your daughter stayed. We are thinking of going to NY with her. We just don't know where to stay. Do you have any suggestions? What did she think of the Strattford Arms Hotel, and the chaperons? Thank you.
By BlackTutux0member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 770, member since Sat Dec 22, 2007
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 05:31 PM
Congratulations! :) Bolshoi's SI also has connections with the Bolshoi Ballet School in Russia, and I know that some people are invited to study ballet at the school from the summer intensive. :)
By reallynotadancer Comments: 65, member since Sun Feb 07, 2010
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 07:40 PM
I read on another discussion board that there have been some bed bug issues, so I would make sure that it has been properly taken care of. I would ask if they are convinced that they problem is fully resolved.
By dancer4ever3 Comments: 131, member since Thu Nov 01, 2007
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 08:06 PM
Oh my god I just looked at the website and it looks like an awesome program but I missed the audition! Is it difficult to get in to? I'm thinking I may do a video audition
By Dancer830 Comments: 25, member since Thu Jan 28, 2010
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 08:22 PM
My daughter also was accepted to Boshoi NYC and is 15, very similar resume as the girl asking about it. We are thrilled and I would like her to attend, but the bedbug issue is causing us to rethink it. We can't afford to get an apt and go together so not sure what we will do. Daughter has also been accepted to ABT Texas and Kirov, still waiting to hear from Boston and Houston. Please post if you hear anything new about the bedbugs

ReplySendWatch