Forum: Arts / Debates

The Repeal of DADT, What are your thoughts about all of it?
By rr_lover
On Thu Feb 04, 2010 01:29 PM
Edited by rr_lover (191435) on 2010-02-04 13:32:14
Edited by rr_lover (191435) on 2010-02-04 13:32:45
Edited by rr_lover (191435) on 2010-02-04 13:33:43

Ever since President Obama made the call to Repeal DADT in his SOTU Speech, we are finally starting to see some progress to end this policy and rightfully so.

I think it's been way to long coming, and since it has been active, we have let go in the US over 13,500 soilders because they are gay.

Some say also it's not the right time, because we are in the middle of two wars, well i say the time IS right, AND when your letting go over 13 thousand people who have VALUABLE skills vital to our military and national security, we need everyone now more then ever.

SO why i posted about this is because i wanna know your views :), and have a healthy debate about it all. I realize it's already been touched upon the politcal board, but i want to know what everyone feels about it here.

2 Replies to The Repeal of DADT, What are your thoughts about all of it?

re: The Repeal of DADT, What are your thoughts about all of it?
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 04, 2010 02:02 PM
I think it's wonderful. However, I will be pretty angry if gays and lesbians are not allowed base housing and benefits for their partner. Once again, an argument for gay marriage. I think that the only people who will be upset by this are the homophobic extremists stuck back in 1940. This will not completely unhinge the military. If a man in the army is so concerned that a gay man is going to hit on him and every other guy, he needs to get himself a reality check.
re: The Repeal of DADT, What are your thoughts about all of it?
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 04, 2010 03:51 PM
The other night in my Social Problems class, we had to stage a mock debate on DADT, and of course, because any rational person is for it's repeal, the people that had to argue for it staying in place had to largely make up their points.

The point came up again and again - why do they need to live openly? And even though it's a faked point in my example, you know it's one alot of people have asked in seriousness over the years.

I think we've got a bit too grand an idea of what "live openly" means. We're not talking women carrying strap ons in their bags and men giving blow jobs in the chow line (although the people in favor of DADT might have you believe that's the case).

We're talking that these people have the knowledge and skill necessary to keep me safe, and they want and deserve the opportunity to get to do that, regardless of who they chose to lay down beside at night.

ReplySendWatch