Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

New member,mom looking for help finding lyrical song for me and my daughter to dance to
By dancingmama67
On Fri Feb 05, 2010 03:28 PM

I am 42 yo. I danced a long time as a child, and recently started dance lessons again at my 17 yo dance studio. My 17 yo daughter and I would like to do a Lyrical Duet together. But I am having a hard time finding the perfect song. I do not want any "wedding" songs. We really want something different. Something that says she is grown now, and I love her. The two we have come up with is "You'll Be in My Heart", by Phil Collins, OR "I Dare You to Move" by Switchfoot.

I do not want the "typical"songs like "I Hope You Dance".or "My Wish".

I want something powerful, kind of like a WOW factor.

Anyone have any ideas, and possible links to some lyrical dances to any of the song ideas you might have?

Thank you!
Cindy

5 Replies to New member,mom looking for help finding lyrical song for me and my daughter to dance to

re: New member,mom looking for help finding lyrical song for me and my daughter to dance to
By kandykanePremium member
On Fri Feb 05, 2010 05:30 PM
What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

www.youtube.com . . .

Classic!

kk~
re: New member,mom looking for help finding lyrical song for me and my daughter to dance to
By hummingbird
On Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:39 PM
how about this, I'm doing a mother and daughter duet at the moment to it www.youtube.com . . .
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:06 AM
I like "Home" by Scott Alan from Piece. It would be like you 'singing' the song because it's from the mother's point of view, but you could be 'watching' your daughter dance and join in with her. I think it could be beautiful. (This is one of my favorite singers singing it: www.youtube.com . . . She talks about the song for the first few minutes, but she's such a joy to listen to anyway. The song starts 2 minutes in.)

Lyrics: "Look at what I'm given, this beautiful creation, a sweet intoxication, something pure in my life. Look at all these changes, but light now shines within me, and you'll be mine completely, there'll be no darkness left to view. I never knew this kind of love existed, And deep inside of me is where it all begins."

You could also do an edit of the finale from Jason Robert Brown's "Songs for a New World". The last song is "Hear my Song".
www.youtube.com . . . (Hear My Song starts about 1:35 in.)

Some Lyrics: "Child, I know you're weary and your eyes want to close. The days are getting longer, we're not getting any stronger: trust me, mama knows. Child I know you're frightened and and your mouth's parched and dry, but just trust in mama's singing and the home tomorrow's bringing. Trust it--Don't ask why."
By staygold123
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 01:48 PM
I second "In My Daughter's Eyes"

My friend and her mom did a duo to it a few years ago and it was really touching :)
By dancelover269
On Thu Mar 04, 2010 08:50 PM
haha I was going to say "in my daughters eyes" as well but then I read your guys comments my mom always wanted me to do a duet with her to that but my mom doesn't know how to dance lol!!!

ReplySendWatch