Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Clothing Questions from a new dancer.
By dancingdawg
On Fri Feb 05, 2010 04:43 PM

I have just recently begun to take an adult beginning ballet class. There is no dress code, only the requirement to have shoes. The real teacher for the class is on maternity leave and the substitute has not been helpful.

The class wears a mixture of clothing (all girls but me), no one wears leotards, or tights, several wear leggings, some wear very small shorts, some wear leggings, and others wear sweat pants, or track pants.

I was just told pants I can move in, and shoes.

So here are the questions.

The studio owner suggest I wait to get a dance belt until I am sure I am ready to proceed. I have heard that I need one now, recommendations?

Is it fine as a beginner to wear loose shorts and a t shirt?
I have under armor compression shorts. Should I wear those, any recommendations?

Finally, I am a bit overweight, about 30 pounds that I put on after a knee injury several years ago. Most of the weight is the form of a beer belly, buy I also have some fat on my thighs covering well developed thigh muscles. Aside from that, my upper body is in pretty good shape.

I do not mind wearing tight clothing, but I am a firm believer that there should be a weight limit on certain articles of clothing. (i.e. the 55 year old, 350 lb woman in walmart wearing a tube top.) Should I wait until I drop weight and then transition to a leo and just get one to wear underneath?

7 Replies to Clothing Questions from a new dancer.

re: Clothing Questions from a new dancer.
By seamless
On Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:06 PM
If you're not wearing tights, there's no need for a dance belt! The dance belt helps you wear the tights properly.

With the class having an extremely lax dress code, where no one is wearing a leotard or tights, then I'd say "go with the flow". Wear whatever the other guys are wearing.

If you're not doing this just for the exercise and really want to learn proper ballet technique, you should probably switch to a different school. The "uniform" is all part of the spirit of doing ballet. If your instructor and/or school doesn't encourage wearing it, then they're probably not very serious about doing ballet properly.

Good luck!
By luv2plie
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 01:04 AM
I like a dress code for adults . I feel that the school is more serious about teaching good techique . In ballet a guy should wear a dance belt and tights. If you are not planning on wearing tights for your ballet classes....a dance belt is still recommended!

Keep on dancing!

Kev
By dancingdawg
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 07:27 PM
Thanks for the input, this is the only place that teaches adult classes in my area. I think the beginner class is very informal, but the intermediate and advance classes are a little more strict.
By james2
On Fri Feb 12, 2010 05:01 PM
hey man dance belts are good if you want to dance i would say get one.even though there is no dress code I'd say black tights/bike shorts, good dress code means you are for real walmart in womens sells yoga tights check them out they are like 7 dollars and they are a decent pair best of luck .
By rmdanceguy1
On Sat Feb 13, 2010 02:22 AM
You know what would be interesting is if you started to wear the uniform how quickly the others in class will start wearing them?

Yes. Usually adult classes have no specific dress codes unless you are dancing at an actual Dance school. I like dress codes as well. When I changed to wearing the uniform, I was amazed at how much I improved in all aspects.

Is there a studio in a neighboring town/city you can get to? I really think this studio will not be good for you in the long run and I think you should change. The studio owner may be right for a while, but eventually you will need a dance belt. It seems to me the substitute teacher may not know how to teach a male.
By TidalWhale
On Mon Feb 15, 2010 06:46 AM
If you are really interested in learning classical ballet the uniform is required. Tights and a Tee or Leo are needed to see you are placed properly. Since it doesn't matter what you wear they are not going to get upset with you for coming to class in tights (+dancebelt) and a tee. What you do in sweat pants and what you do in tights makes night and day the appearances of your line.
By luv2plie
On Mon Feb 15, 2010 09:47 PM
I agree with Tidalwhale about tights vs sweats! Wearing tights for a ballet class is strongly recommended! I wear tights for ballet classes.....NO big deal!

Kev

ReplySendWatch