Forum: Arts / Religion

what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By shinenfade
On Fri Feb 05, 2010 09:49 PM

I do not mean to offend anyone but I was just thinking of some tings and came up with a conclusion. Tell me what you think

no homosexuality
no birth control or condoms
no abortion
even sex - missonary position

all these have one thing in common - they do not produce kids. Multiplying the earth. I do not know why I am the only one who thinks of all that.I am sure if I ask the priests they will get mad at me because it kind of does sound like I am being sacraligious.

22 Replies to what I came up with about the Catholilc church

re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church (karma: 1)
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:00 PM
Ok, I went to Catholic schools my whole life. I was taught that the Catholic church basically has as Love/Life belief when it comes to sex. You do not necessarily have to reproduce while having sex but the chance of life forming shouldn't be prevented. Children should be conceived out of love (which is why they don't agree with invito fertilization, surrogate mothers etc but thats for another topic). So yes, you are right the Catholic church does want reproduction. The church believes each person has immeasurable worth and should not be prevented from forming. With that said the church does support natural family planning, also known as the rhythm method in which women chart their menstrual cycle, their body temperature etc to figure out when they are most fertile and don't have sex during that time.
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:20 PM
shinenfade wrote:

I do not mean to offend anyone but I was just thinking of some tings and came up with a conclusion. Tell me what you think

no homosexuality
no birth control or condoms
no abortion
even sex - missonary position

all these have one thing in common - they do not produce kids. Multiplying the earth. I do not know why I am the only one who thinks of all that.I am sure if I ask the priests they will get mad at me because it kind of does sound like I am being sacraligious.


Okay- Like I've said in other posts, I'm not Catholic but I am married to one and have really read up on the Church's views.

No homosexuality- true.
No birth control or condoms- no HORMONAL birth control, right on the no barrier contraceptives. Like Mlf06 said, the church endorses Natural Family Planning, which is just as effective as most birth control when used completely correctly.
No abortion- That doesn't have anything to do with "more babies"- they believe that a human life is sacred, therefore they're also against euthanasia and Capital Punishment.
Missionary position- not true. I'm paraphrasing, but the final word is that you can basically do whatever/however you want as long as the act culminates in the potential for life, or in other words, the husband climaxes inside the wife.

You're not the only person that thinks that of the Church, either. However, if you do some research on the subject (there's a lot of online resources if you DON'T feel comfortable speaking with a priest), you'll see that most of these "rules" have reasons behind them aside from just encouraging reproduction.
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13 PM
shinenfade wrote:

I do not mean to offend anyone but I was just thinking of some tings and came up with a conclusion. Tell me what you think

no homosexuality
no birth control or condoms
no abortion
even sex - missonary position

all these have one thing in common - they do not produce kids. Multiplying the earth. I do not know why I am the only one who thinks of all that.I am sure if I ask the priests they will get mad at me because it kind of does sound like I am being sacraligious.


What was the point of this post?

Despite the "no offense" intent, I am a bit offended. As a general rule never start out a post saying you don't mean to offend people...people will be offended despite that.
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:16 PM
Is this the brother of Rotti?
Wait...it actually has punctuation. Anyway...I would say do some more research from an unbiased source.
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:41 AM
How old are you? I'm not sure whether I should back off and realize you're too young to know how pointless this is, or if you're old enough to just not care. Because there IS no point to this. :?

I find it incredibly ego-centric to think that you're the only one to put together that the Catholic Church likes life. Seriously, Christianity has been around for nearing two millennium meaning at least 12 billion people have been exposed to Christianity and Catholicism and YOU were the only person to realize this?
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By kandykanePremium member
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:49 AM
Let's not all jump on OP. I have some issues with the Catholic church and some of their policies, also.

It is ok to question your religion. If she can't talk to her parents or her parish priest, maybe this is the best place she can go.

kk~
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:55 AM
"No abortion" doesn't not produce kids, it produces kids.

The missionary position doesn't not produce kids. I would imagine a large proportion of people were conceived through that very method.

Perhaps you can come back and try to explain your point a little more thoroughly, because at the moment it isn't making a great deal of sense. Are you saying it's a bad thing that the Church seems to encourage human reproduction? Or, what? :?

Until the OP clarifies her position I'm really not sure it's productive for member after member to attack her...:?
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By strictlydancer88Premium member
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:00 AM
As a catholic I have definitely done my research to make sure that is what I wanted to practice. I highly suggest you do more research before you come to any more conclusions.

And you say they "Do not" produce kids? I don't even know how to came up with that.

It offends me that you would post something like this. I know the catholic church has a lot of controversy, but its not fair to those who have done their research enough to know the truth to post something like this.
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church (karma: 4)
By FeisDadAndre
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:23 AM
Edited by FeisDadAndre (208256) on 2010-02-06 11:28:42
Having grown up in the Catholic Church and been a good Catholic for most of my life (but a lapsed Catholic now that I've reached my 40's), I have to say that I think if Jesus was alive today, he would be appalled at what the Catholic Church has become. The very simple teachings of Jesus have been used not so much to encourage the brotherhood of man/woman through inclusion but the bestowing of "brotherhood" as a reward but only if you follow the rules set out by the Holy See (i.e., the Vatican). Here are a few examples of what I mean.

Jesus chose only men as his apostles, therefore the Catholic Church took this as a sign that only men can become priests. So... one entire half of humanity is not considered worthy of preaching about the teachings of Jesus? You know, I just don't remember where in the Bible Jesus says, "Yo, bee-yotch, fetch my sandals and pour some wine for me and my apostle brothers but stay the hell out of my church!".

The Bible is used as the foundation of the Church yet it was not written by Jesus but by others; many others actually, and not just at the time in which Jesus lived but up to a couple of hundred years later. And there is the never-ending controversy about what texts were actually included in the Bible, which were not, which were considered heretical and destroyed, and so on.

The Bible contains all kinds of rules which, if the Church were to strictly enforce as a good Catholic lifestyle, then the Church would also be excommunicating people right and left. The wearing of uncompatible materials for clothes, restrictive dietary laws, what farm crops can be planted together, etc. Nobody makes a big deal about those things, but a single line about "men not laying with men" and the entire force of the Catholic Church is brought to bear on a group of people whose lifestyle is considered an abomination (i.e., homosexuals and lesbians). Whatever happened to "Love thy brother as you would have them love you"? Guess that only applies if your brother is living the way the Church thinks he should.

And the issue of sex?? Oh my good God (so to speak), have you ever heard of an organization as scared of the issue of human sexuality than the Catholic Church?
Me: "Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. Since my last confession two weeks ago, I've had 1386 impure thoughts, covering every single woman I've seen or talked to."
Priest: "Well my son, say 3 Our Fathers and 20 Hail Mary's and you'll be raight as rain in God's eyes."
God: "What the hell was that?"

And the real driving force in the Catholic Church? The bishops. And one way of looking at those folks is that a bishop is a religious man who attained a higher rank in the Catholic Church than did Jesus.

Man, I really hope there's an after-life because God and I are going to have some serious face-time soon after I walk into that white light.

And now I'm going to slide back into the shadows where I can find not only a little bit of protection from the coming onslaught of responding posters, but also some fresh-brewed Saturday morning coffee which is, in itself, a religious experience of heavenly proportions. :)
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By shinenfade
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 05:38 PM
Ok responding to Louis post - I meant to say abortion and also the only sex position is missionary... well maybe some sothers too as long as they have possabilty of producting children...but that still leaves some postions out too.

Responding to some other posts here... I do not think I have some sort of ego to think I am the only one to think this way...I was just wondering is that ok with you?

As for the homosexuality issue...I am lesbian and I am tired of people being shocked that I go to church. They act like I can not be devout as the next person.

The last post said something about the Church and Jesus in which I agree...I think the Church sometimes is wrapped up in its rules instead of going by Jesus examples.

Thank you for those who stuck up for me and not being hard on me.
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 08:08 PM
You post a debate, you get different opinions. You're clearly NOT the only person to realize that the Catholic church likes children, so I don't get where the whole 'I single handedly unearthed the secret of Catholicism' attitude came from.

To be clear: I don't love the Catholic church. I agree that there are elements of every religion that I think are wrong or corrupt or out of date. And I am all for questioning what you're told to believe and setting yourself on a path to discover what YOU want to believe, not what someone else whats you to believe. The part I have a problem with is the way you're presenting the argument.
I do not know why I am the only one who thinks of all that.

You're not. That's what I'm having a hard time with.
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By kandykanePremium member
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 08:51 PM
^ Perhaps in the OP's daily real life, she is the only one that she has come across that believes as she does. Why is that so terrible for her to say so? Part of being young is that idea that no one else thinks/feels as you do or understands.

kk~
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 09:21 PM
shinenfade wrote:


As for the homosexuality issue...I am lesbian and I am tired of people being shocked that I go to church. They act like I can not be devout as the next person.



The Catholic Church believes that homosexuals are called to be chaste.
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 09:22 PM
I'd like to know where you heard that Catholics are only allowed to do the missionary position???
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By shinenfade
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 09:40 PM
I do not remember where I heard about the Church and missonary position from. It was awhile ago.

Yes, I know the Church teaches that homosexuals should be chaste but is that fair? For everyone else to have someone but us? I do have girlfriend and we have been together for going on 5 years now. Where would I look up the beliefs of the Church if I am wrong then?
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church (karma: 1)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:01 PM
shinenfade wrote:

I do not remember where I heard about the Church and missonary position from. It was awhile ago.

Yes, I know the Church teaches that homosexuals should be chaste but is that fair? For everyone else to have someone but us? I do have girlfriend and we have been together for going on 5 years now. Where would I look up the beliefs of the Church if I am wrong then?


Read the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 07, 2010 01:19 PM
shinenfade wrote:

Yes, I know the Church teaches that homosexuals should be chaste but is that fair? For everyone else to have someone but us? I do have girlfriend and we have been together for going on 5 years now. Where would I look up the beliefs of the Church if I am wrong then?

Majere answered the "where to find it" question already, but in short, no, it's not fair of them to require only gay people to be chaste. Unfortunately, that's the way things are in the Catholic Church. Fortunately, not everyone has to believe in or follow it.
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By popergerm
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:22 AM
That is just it some people still dont understand what we really teach, and jesus would never say you biyoch fetch me my sandles and wine, when will people learn the fact that men an women are differant, woman can give birth men cant, men are traditionaly the teachers of the faith and priesthood a gift of God though the holy spirit, if Jesus had the athority from his Father to make a woman priest would he not have given his own mother Mary that power she was the closest thing to perfect in the human form and was not given that grace. She is the strongest intercesser though as Jesus must listen to his mother and Respect the one choosen from among humanity by all three of the Godhead to be his mother here on earth.

signed Jeremy popergerm
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 01:17 AM
your post is annoyingly unreadable punctuation is your friend please learn to love it also you may seem slightly less insane if you try to use capital letters oh and by the way a comma is not a period
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By ChristinePremium member
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 09:47 AM
Majery gave you good advice. If you feel the Roman Catholic Church is really where you are called to worship, understanding the precepts of the faith may help you make peace with your questions.

However, I might suggest that since this is the 21st century, not the 10th, if you are not happy with the Catholic Church, go elsewhere. There are many, many, other Christian denominations that embrace the "Love Message" of Jesus, yet have a more flexible interpretation of issues of sexuality, holy orders, confession, etc.

And just for the record, no where does the church instruct married couples as to which position they should assume when making love. "I heard somewhere" isn't a good habit to develop when bashing the teaching of one church or another. As it happens, I don't agree with many of the things "I've heard" about many fundamentalist faith communities...Christian, Jewish, or Muslim. But as a rule for life, "Live and Let Live" works well for me.

There are many churches which open their arms to practicing homosexuals. Many churches have pastors who are part of same sex committed relationships. You might be happier seeking out a faith community that makes you feel peaceful and accepted than angry and critical.

Good luck
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 09:58 AM
kandykane wrote:

^ Perhaps in the OP's daily real life, she is the only one that she has come across that believes as she does. Why is that so terrible for her to say so? Part of being young is that idea that no one else thinks/feels as you do or understands.

kk~


The OP isn't young or female, though, so there goes that theory. :?

Dani
re: what I came up with about the Catholilc church
By kandykanePremium member
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 01:34 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2010-02-11 13:40:19
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2010-02-11 13:41:34 age clarify
Um, this person posted in Girls only, so that sounds female to me.

And young is a relative term. Maybe this person is not a teen but young still comes to mind reading some of the OPs posts. Of course, I'm knocking on the door of 50, so I have a different perspective of wht "young" is.

kk~

ReplySendWatch

Powered by XP Experience Server.
Copyright ©1999-2020 XP.COM, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
XL
LG
MD
SM
XS
XL
LG
MD
SM
XS