Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Beginners

Should i join the dance performance team?
By sherry12
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:25 AM

so i just began a dancing academy, i mean i've been dancing all my life , but not in an actual class and i just began and i'm taking jazz/hiphop2 and ballet 1

this is what they say about the performance team:
Are you 11 or older and LOVE to perform? Want to get up on a stage more than once a year?
Performance Teams: No previous dance experience or auditions required. We are forming these teams now!

should i email the lady and ask? what would i ask? i mean i want to but then i don't wanna be bad and everyone else be really good, or embarrass myself. what should i do? what do performance teams do?

thank u sooo much!!

4 Replies to Should i join the dance performance team?

re: Should i join the dance performance team?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:49 AM
[Gentle reminder: Remember on DDN we ask you to spell out all of your words, and use correct capitalization/punctuation to the best of your ability.]

Well, the answer to this question has another question: What do you want to do with your dancing?

I'm going to be the hard critic here, but dancing at home without a teacher isn't REALLY dancing: not in the technical way at least. You're moving and upping your kinesthetic ability, but you don't really have any technique base. And if you want to dance--even just on a recreational level--a technique base is necessary. Because you've moved before it'll be easier for you to pick up this technique but it is NECESSARY and I think it should be the top of your priority list.

If you're interested in this team you need to ask her:
-What styles do you dance
-Are there classes or just rehearsals
-How often do they meet
-What is the time commitment for rehearsals (do they interfere with any other classes)
-About how many others would be on the team
-Is there one teacher/director or are there several authority figures
-If the average dancer is just beginning or if they already have been dancing for a few years.

I'm inclined to say don't try it until next year, because in my experience, people that go to performance before they have the technique and an understanding of the craft end up getting some MEGA bad habits that it takes years to break. I think technique should be your larger focus and you might want to look into finding a few more classes or start a home stretch and tone regimine.
By sherry12
On Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:07 AM
Oh yea sorry I forgot I also have done a year of dance at school. I don't know if that helps.
By dancegal2member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 08:45 PM
Just get in there and ask. Asking will do no harm, you won't be obligated to join just for asking for more information. It sounds like they previously haven't had a performance team and are looking to build one up, so I doubt many people will have extensive performing experience. Ask about classes/what is expected in terms of attendance, what performances will be done, additional cost, average ability of applicants etc.
By dancelover269
On Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:23 AM
I would ask it sounds like a great opportunity you could ask the experience level of the people in it so far and then decide if you want to be in it or not im sure the lady will be honest with you on weather or not she thinks your ready and from the sounds of it doesnt seem that intence but what do I know lol be brave and call!!! :)

ReplySendWatch