Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Split Jetes, extensions, and ect.
By MaleDancer09
On Sun Feb 07, 2010 04:21 PM

Hi ive been dancing now for about a year, i have my right and left split and almost my middle. however i cant do a split jete, when i do switch leaps i get really close but its not there. I also notice that when im doing my extensions i can get it past 90 degrees but i know im using my quads to lift verses my hamstring. can you give me any advice to strengthen my hamstrings, loosen my quads, and get better leaps?

15 Replies to Split Jetes, extensions, and ect.

re: Split Jetes, extensions, and ect.
By Balletboytino
On Tue Feb 09, 2010 09:50 AM
I would say STRETCH! :)
And workout your legs at the gym.
thats what i do :)
By davb
On Sun Mar 14, 2010 04:39 PM
If you want to do a split in the air, you will need to be to do an oversplit on the ground

so keep streaching
By luv2plie
On Sun Mar 14, 2010 08:57 PM
Keep on Stretching! It will come one taday and you will be very surprise

Kev
By yostretch
On Mon Mar 15, 2010 08:06 AM
i argeed with the other guys STRETCH but also each time you do a developpe try to inch up jsut a bit more so that the body becomes use to the new shpe slowly instead of all at once
By Tomica
On Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:16 AM
And don't be worried about that, as you said, you danced for only a year, your body needs time to adjust itself to big changes...doing split jettes is a bit change from the condition your body is normally in :)

Some things only come with time, repetition, repetition, repetition and rest...rest is as important as practicing is.
By fleshjazzpants
On Thu May 20, 2010 10:20 PM
continue stretching. When you're really in your split, you can open your legs to the 180 in mid air, which is what a Jete is. You have to keep stretching until splits are literally natural for you. Then you'll have no problem. Never give up! keep trying!
By jly_dance
On Sat May 22, 2010 11:08 PM
i agree with yostretch....that is what i do......evey time you develope try to hole your leg up an inch more...i have only done this recently and it does make my extensions much higher....i have also been stretching more and have been doing things at barre with more of me actually trying and i have gotten down my splits
By Jerisonharper
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 02:50 PM
Is there a maximum limit where you can go if we haven't done splits in our lives or anyone can achieve the full splits if they keep stretching?
By jly_dance
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:37 AM
huh? i dont understand your question. from what i understand about it, yes i was unable to do the splits before and now i can.
By Jerisonharper
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 03:40 AM
Sorry that i phrased it badly..I was asking if there is a point where one doesn't go further no matter how hard they try or its possible for everyone to achieve the splits as long as they stretch.
By yostretch
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:39 AM
if your keep working your splits you will get there but keep in mind how long you went before you started doing the splits and how long you have been trying to d the splits some times it just takes time
By jly_dance
On Wed Jun 30, 2010 09:49 PM
oooo..... for me, i could do the splits a few years back, but just as i got more serious, i lost most of my fleibility. since the summer session has started at my studi, i have class for two hours a day (minimum). i like to use this time to help me stretch out. and i am now able to do my splits.
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:25 AM
Getting a full split in a grand jeté is hard. As a jeté should have an arc to it, most people will never get quite a full split the whole way through. However, getting a full split in a saut de chat is much easier. If you almost have your middle split, I would say you're probably fairly flexible. Do a few sauts de chat and see which leg is lower than it should be. If it's your front leg, try focusing on the developpé action when you leap. If it's your back leg, you really need to work your arabesque muscles in mid leap.
By jly_dance
On Mon Jul 05, 2010 01:41 PM
I agree in a saut de chat you need to be very careful, and make sure that your back leg is also being lifted. I have a huge problem with this.
By JoeAngeLove
On Tue Jul 06, 2010 07:09 PM
the best advice i could give is just simply repeat and repeat until your jete's improve... also being able to do an oversplit on the ground will make your leaps look way better! breather through your stretches and take your time, you'll get it eventually...

ReplySendWatch