Forum: Ask a Studio Owner

Selling Flowers at Recital
By DanceTumbleCheer
On Sun Feb 07, 2010 07:10 PM

I will be pre-selling flowers for the recital this year. They will be able to pick them up during the intermission to give to their child after recital.

*How do YOU set up your order form?
*How much do you charge?
*Do you sell per flower, or do a bundle?
*What type/s of flowers should I offer?

Anything else??

8 Replies to Selling Flowers at Recital

re: Selling Flowers at Recital
By cheerspirit
On Sun Feb 07, 2010 07:13 PM
I make it super easy on myself and sell individual roses and carnations at recital. I order about 250 flowers and sell them in the theater lobby. No orders, first come, first serve!
By placedancer
On Sun Feb 07, 2010 08:17 PM
I wrap single red rose in pretty tissue paper and spray with glitter morning of show. Purchase 5 dozen from BJs for 8.99 each and sell for $5 each flower- baby breat or greens look nice in it also.
By hummingbird
On Sun Feb 07, 2010 08:22 PM
We sell them as individual flowers, no pre orders, first come first served, they always run out no matter how many we order :)
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Sun Feb 07, 2010 09:01 PM
What I did was made a deal with a local florist. She gave me order forms and they filled them out and I turned them in, with their payments, minus my cut. The day of the recital, she dropped them off, with orders filled, for parents to pick up before the show.

We had a lot of orders.
By J1ll
On Mon Feb 08, 2010 06:37 AM
Keep it easy-roses and carnations. Offer them a la carte or wrapped in baby's breath or a green, charging and extra few dollars if the want them wrapped. I wouldn't get into actual bouquets unless I was contracting a florist to fill these orders.
Price out the local grocery stores etc. Most people don't want to stop for flowers on the day of recital but some will to save $$. Try not to be priced too far out of the competition.
I always got my daughters wrist corsages instead of bouquets because it left their hands free to dance in the finale dance.
By ziggymistyPremium member
On Mon Feb 08, 2010 07:38 AM
I let the girl scouts use this as a fundraiser.They handle all the orders and sales. We hand out an order form with the recital packet and they do regular sales there too. The bad thing is that I don't make anything off the flowers. The good thing is that they handle everything so I don't have to mess with it.

They also sell cookies and juice at intermission and help clean up. I also hire girl scout moms for back stage help in all the dressing rooms. I find that my moms don't want to do it. This has become a huge fundraiser for them and has made my life easier!!
By wedance09
On Mon Feb 08, 2010 08:07 AM
One of our kids mother use to be a florist. I let her have a table in the lobby of the venue and she sales flowers, bouquets, little trinkets..... I don't ask for a cut, she has been unemployed for several years due to health issues and I know she needs the money.
By MadAboutDance
On Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:42 AM
We do the same as JLL. Our local florist does $15 bouquets. I make a small percentage which is enough to cover the flowers I give to my staff. The order form is simple - parent name, # of boquets, & phone number. We accept orders until 2 days before the show. The florist drops the order in the lobby the day of the show, we have volunteers manage distribution, and they need to be picked up before the start of the show.

Anyone purchasing flowers for that day are asked if they are for our recital. If yes, the florist uses the same $15 base bouquet and goes from there. That way noone is purchasing a better $15 bouquet from him than what they would get from me. The florist's name is noted as a sponsor.

ReplySendWatch