Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Gray (Grey) Footless Opaque Tights for Boys' Class??
By socadanseur
On Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:09 PM

Hello, I haven't been on the forum in a long time & I now have a male teenager starting ballet class. The instructor has informed us that we need to purchase gray/grey footless opaque tights. Almost everything that I'm finding are either black or white tights & I'm not interested in going through the dying process. Which brand(s) offer the tights that we need? Thanks in advance for your help!

10 Replies to Gray (Grey) Footless Opaque Tights for Boys' Class??

re: Gray (Grey) Footless Opaque Tights for Boys' Class??
By rmdanceguy1
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:48 AM
I'd say the best thing is to ask your instructor. If the studio and/or instructor is requiring this specific uniform then they should know options of where you can make your purchases.
By socadanseur
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 06:33 PM
Edited by socadanseur (139417) on 2010-02-11 19:29:29
OK, I found footed tights & they might be alright. I will still appreciate any information about footless tights in this color.
Also, does anyone sell men's gray/grey leather ballet shoes? I'm not into dying, painting or whatever is done to white shoes.
Thanks again!
By socadanseur
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 09:34 PM
OK, I checked out the Bal-Togs 393 tights online. Does anyone have any experience wearing them? What do you think? Thanks!
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:46 PM
I tried cotton/lycra tights once, couldn't stand them. I think nylon/lycra is am much better material for tights.

Also... in case you were thinking of it, I've heard terrible reviews of River's Edge Dancewear.
By socadanseur
On Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:24 PM
greenpumpkin wrote:

I tried cotton/lycra tights once, couldn't stand them. I think nylon/lycra is am much better material for tights.

The issue is that she requested opaque tights & nylon/lycra are semi-shiny.

Also... in case you were thinking of it, I've heard terrible reviews of River's Edge Dancewear.

Wow, that's interesting. They're the only place that I found online that has them. What type of things did you hear about them?

Thanks!
By socadanseur
On Fri Feb 12, 2010 09:19 PM
I see that M Stevens has the Milliskin footless tights.
Does anyone have experience with them?
By rmdanceguy1
On Sat Feb 13, 2010 02:44 AM
If you are looking at men's tights, they should already be opaque enough for use in class. Men's are also heavier than women's so I don't think you should be worried if they are shiny. I have not seen grey footless for men other than black which is why I said your studio should be able to get them for you if they are requiring them. I have not tried M. Stevens yet, but heard good things mostly.
By jocknballettight
On Tue Feb 16, 2010 02:22 PM
HIGHLY reccomend M STEVENS tights BUT YES prob only found in black and white though some dance stores will dye them...
also try WELOVECOLORS for mens performance tights ...you want a hevaier tights like m stevens when you shop there SO the PERF tights are recommended...CAPEZIO also does men/boys tights in gray though again you want a more opaque tights
GOOD luck
By socadanseur
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:06 AM
OK, I found a pair of custom footless M Stevens tights that are dyed medium-gray & made with the fabric inside-out so that they're not shiny.
Now a question & please forgive my ignorance...

The tights will be worn pulled high over the torso & the socks are long. I've uploaded a picture which shows how his uniform will be worn.
How are they both kept from going down during lessons?

Thanks again everyone!
By jocknballettight
On Thu Feb 18, 2010 06:01 AM
THEY make a sort of belt that can be used to roll tights over to hold up...or you can be creative and go to a fabric supplier and buy elastic rolling materila in strips LIKE suspenders that you sew onto waist band front/back that will pull tights up mid torso no falling or rolling down
as to socks they make tights socks in white that will stay up

ReplySendWatch