Feature: Highland / Highland

The Triubhas News, Issue 39 - NZ_Erin
By Catherinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 15, 2010 09:04 PM
Edited by Catherine (148521) on 2010-02-15 21:46:45
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2010-10-11 18:12:57 .
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2010-10-11 18:13:13 .
The Triubhas News is pleased to present it's 39th issue with NZ_Erin!

Username: NZ_Erin
Why did you choose your username? Because my name is Erin, and I am a proud New Zealander
Name: Erin
Years Dancing: 7
Board: (SDTA, UKA, BATD) None, I dance with NZAHND

What tartan do you wear for your kilt, and is there a specific reason why you chose it? I wear the Basic Clan Cameron tartan. I chose it because it is one of my family tartans.

Tell us a bit about your other costumes.
Do you wear a white dress or an Aboyne for nationals?
We don't do national dances.
What colour is your jig dress? In NZ we do a different jig, so my dress is white sateen with a green and red cape.
What colour is your hornpipe outfit? When I get one it will be blue.

What brand of Ghillies do you wear? Salvio? I'm not sure

What is the name of your school and teacher? Cushla Piesse School of Dance. Cushla Piesse is my teacher.

How/when did you know you wanted to be a dancer? I was 10 when I decided that I wanted to start competing and I started private lessons.

Why did you choose highland? My Mum chose for me when I was 6.
Do you take, or have you taken, any other forms of dance? Nope.

What makes you love Highland dance? The fact that it is so different from any other type of dance.

If you could describe your dancing in only 1 word, what would it be? Interesting!

Do you compete? If so, what level are you in? Yes I compete. We don't really have levels, but I dance in the Under14s

When is your next competition (if applicable)? I'm not sure when my next competition will be.
How do you think you'll do there? I hope to get at least 1 placing.

What has been your most memorable competition moment? Winning my Highland Fling in my second competition in front of some of the best dancers!

What has been your most memorable non-competitive achievement? When I was the only person in my performance group not to make a mistake.

Do you remember your first competition and how you did there? I think I got an Very Highly Commended in my Fling.

What do you enjoy most about competitions? Spending time with my friends.

Do you have any superstitions? Not really.

What is the most difficult thing for you about Highland? Hardest would be remembering the little thing i.e. straight knees, arms in jig etc...
What's the easiest? Easiest would be remembering the steps.

What are your best and favourite steps? My best and favourite steps would be the entire Jig!
What are your worst and least favourite? I really don't like the Double Highcuts in the Reel, and my worst step would be the last Sailors step.

Anything you are still working on? Heaps, The Seann Triubhas and Double Highcuts.

Do you ever feel the pressure to quit? No really.

What are your favourite dances? The Irish Jig by far!

How often do you take class? 1 or 2 times a week.
How frequently do you practice? I try to get some practice in every day.

What do you generally work on when you practice on your own? Steps that I have been learning

Do your friends and family support your dancing? My family love watching me dance, and my friends don't really mind.

Do you hang out with your dance friends outside the studio? Yes, we go to the mall and have sleepovers.

Approximately how many times per year does your dance school perform? About 2 or 3.

Does your school hold a recital? Yes.
If so, what does it generally consist of? Every class performing the dance that they have been working on.

Would you rather have a strict or an easy-going teacher? Strict
How would you describe YOUR teacher? Pretty strict!

Who are your dance idols? Mostly the older girls at my Dance School, and the girls I see at competitions.

What has been your most embarrassing dance moment? Forgetting the steps on stage! Happens often.

If someone completely unfamiliar with Highland dancing asked you why you did it, what would you tell them? Because it is different and very fun!

May we have a peek inside your dance bag? It's pretty tidy at the moment, just has 2 pairs of shoes, and some hair ties.

What other activities do you have besides dancing? I play the flute.

Have you ever taken a break from dancing? No.

Have you ever had to overcome any problems to get to where you are today? Catching up to the other girls in my group when I started private lessons.

Describe your ideal dance class. We would start with a Jig, and then move onto working on different steps of each dance. Then we would end with a Highland Reel.

Do any of your dance friends/class mates go on DDN? Not that I know of.

WhatÂ’s your biggest regret? Not starting competitions earlier.

If you were told you could no longer dance after today, what would you do? I would slap that person!

And how would you spend this last day? I would gather all of my dancing friends and have one big dance-off with every getting a chance to show off their skills!

Thanks for the great interview!

Catherine

4 Replies to The Triubhas News, Issue 39 - NZ Erin

re: The Triubhas News, Issue 39 - NZ_Erin
By Catherinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 15, 2010 09:13 PM
Edited by Catherine (148521) on 2010-02-15 21:14:54
A few extra questions about the NZ Highland Dancers...

You mentioned that you don't dance the National dances. Which dances do you do other than the Fling, Sword, Reel & Seann T.? Do you learn the Flora, Lilt, Bonnets, Earl...? Some of the other dances we do are the Irish Jig Single time, Irish Jig Double time, Irish Hornpipe, the Reel O'Tulloch and the sailors Hornpipe.

Can you tell us a little more about the NZAHND, do they have a website with other information about them?The website for NZ is nzahnd.org.nz

Do you know of any YouTube videos that show NZ dancers? Dancers at the Tattoo.; A video of Highland Games.

The pictures provided by this dancer are not of the dancer but just to show the differences in the costumes.

Thanks
Catherine
By chrispbinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:17 PM
Thanks Catherine and NZ_Erin.
Another lovely issue and a great insight into another aspect of highland.

Congrats to you both.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Oct 11, 2010 06:13 PM
Great job!
By CNDhighlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Oct 11, 2010 07:47 PM
I was in NZ last year on an academic exchange. I danced UKA whilst there and I met sooo many wonderful people (many of them here on DDN). I just wanted to say how much I miss NZ and watching those videos made me miss it even more!!!

ReplySendWatch