Poll: Arts / Religion

Did you receive ashes today?
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 06:20 PM

I went to one of the 4 masses held today at my school and received ashes. It was the first time in a really long time, and it was nice. The mass itself was a very good one, and very encouraging. I feel like it was a good way to start the Lenten season.

12 Replies to Did you receive ashes today?

re: Did you receive ashes today?
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 06:57 PM
Yup and they are still on my forehead. I didn't have time after Mass and before work to do anything.
By pondflyPremium member
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 08:11 PM
If I walked into a church the water would boil.

I had a very bad taste in my mouth when I was in Catholic school 30 years ago. A specific nun had it out for me and I hated it.

15 years ago the tables turned on her though. She was driving the churches car with another nun while she was under the influence, veered over the center line and ran head on with another vehicle, killing the passenger. I however had the honor of treating her, well as much as I wanted to not treat her I did everything and she survived. All the time I'm standing over her with a grin thinking karma.

A few years later I had another nun that had a bad heart rhythm and had to shock it to a proper way, but she was too frail and ended up shocking her to no rhythm.

The only time I've been in a church since way back then was for the christening of my niece and nephew and for calls coming from a place of worship.

I still believe in religion and I'm friends of the major cities fire department chaplain (you would be amazed how religious you can be when you just saw your life before your eyes) I just don't go and follow it.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 08:18 PM
^Whoa, someone was mean to you and you think she deserved to be in a near-fatal car accident? That's...pretty repulsive. Sorry.
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:39 PM
^Ditto what Megan said.

I did not receive ashes today because I kind of feel like it's screaming LOOK AT ME I'M CATHOLIC, OR KIND OF TRYING TO BE! Now I'm not saying that's everyone's intention, so I hope I didn't offend you SunshineFace. The whole thing just kind of bothers me because it's one of those things attended mainly, in my area at least, by CAPE (Christmas, Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday, Easter) or Chreaster (Christmas, Easter) Catholics. It also really bothers me that Ash Wednesday is NOT a Holy Day of Obligation, yet there were six masses today for it, yet on other, TRUE Holy Days, there's only one, maybe two masses. It just shows me that people want to go because they get a little outward smudge to show the world how truly pious they are. Ick.

HOWEVER, if those were not your (general your) intentions, then I'm glad for everyone who had a meaningful mass :)
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 PM
Nope! I actually have pretty similar views to Elizabeth on the whole matter. The one year that I did get ashes, it was a private matter for me, and I washed them off before going out in public. I know it's not the case for everyone, or even most people, but I definitely had some peers who got ashes simply as a way to broadcast their devotion, which was lacking the rest of the year.

Anyhow, not being a christian, I did not receive ashes. Good luck to everyone in the next 40 days! This year, I'm going to work on meditation each day as a sort of semi-Lent religious practice :)
By VelvetRagamuffinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 PM
I wanted to. Alas, I had to work and since I was the only supervisor on duty I couldn't slip out for half an hour for the Ash Wednesday service.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member
On Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:31 AM
high_kick_qt wrote:

^Ditto what Megan said.

I did not receive ashes today because I kind of feel like it's screaming LOOK AT ME I'M CATHOLIC, OR KIND OF TRYING TO BE! Now I'm not saying that's everyone's intention, so I hope I didn't offend you SunshineFace.

You did not offend...however, I would like to point out that many Protestant denominations do ashes. It's not just a Catholic thing.

For me it wasn't about broadcasting in any way. I did keep my ashes on til I got ready for bed, but it was more for myself than anything. I am very devoted. At home (and now at school), I go to church every week. I also am doing Ignatian exercises daily and going to a Faith Sharing group weekly as well. My faith has really grown this year, and things like the ashes have started to hold a lot more meaning for me.
By pondflyPremium member
On Thu Feb 18, 2010 03:14 PM
Megan wrote:

^Whoa, someone was mean to you and you think she deserved to be in a near-fatal car accident? That's...pretty repulsive. Sorry.

At no point did I ever say that she deserved it but one I no compassion to those who drive under the influence and change the lives of others. I actually went out of my way to give her better treatment to which she survived.
It was just karma that she tormented me for over 8 years and then she is at the mercy of others and I was given the opportunity to help her while not thinking twice.

Don't be so quick to overreact.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 18, 2010 03:17 PM
I'm really not seeing the distinction here, honestly. Still sounds pretty awful.

On topic, I did not receive ashes, as I'm no longer a Christian.
By amichelle523member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 18, 2010 03:32 PM
I would have to agree with what Megan said as well.

Anyway, SunshineFace, thanks for pointing out that ashes are not just a Catholic practice. I attend a UCC and got ashes yesterday. Our pastor got a little over-zealous and got some on my nose and in my eye as well, haha.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 18, 2010 03:35 PM
I understand what high_kick and Kekoa are saying. There are definatly people like that out in the world - doing things for show.

I went to Mass yesterday because it was at a time I could go to, since it was not a Holy day of Obligation I wouldn't have been to worried if I didn't get to go. Last semester there was a holy day of obligation and I missed my 8am class to go to an 8am mass (the only time I could go the only other time for mass that day was during dance rehearsal).Um, yeah.
By Yvonnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:47 PM
I wanted to go but since I had school I missed the morning mass. I would have been able to make it to the evening mass but it was changed from the normal 7pm holy day time to 6pm and I didn't know until 6:30pm.
Thank you majere for easing my mind, I totally thought it was a holy day of obligation.

ReplySendWatch