Popular Highland

Is Crazy hair colour allowed ? by macthistle
The question seems to be asked a lot with no real definite answer. Will brightly coloured hair(pink/blue etc) get you disqualified from competing or can points be deducted?

Forum: Arts / Crafts & Hobbies

Crafts & Hobbies
Belle Dress, and Babette costume from Beauty and the Beast en>fr fr>en
By irishdaydreamermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1538, member since Tue Jul 10, 2007
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 06:59 PM

Tada!!!!
I was in a production of Beauty and the Beast, and I volunteered to make the Belle dress. I didn't actually wear it in the show, since I was Babette, but I wore it for this photoshoot, because it fits me too. That's why having a photographer for a father is very, very handy.

The front looks kind of wonky in the first picture, but oh well.

I made it from an EXTREMELY altered pattern. Seriously, the only thing I left the same was the... skirt. And even then, I cut it longer than the pattern said, so I could bustle it.

Side view:
Image hotlink - 'http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/irishdaydreamer/stock0210_-559.jpg'

Back! Ignore my odd face...
Image hotlink - 'http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/irishdaydreamer/stock0210_-572.jpg'

Those stinking grommets killed my hands!

Now, on to the Babette dress!

This, unlike the first costume, I didn't completely make myself. I bought this huge princess cute bridesmaid dress, from a thrift store, then cut it apart, and turned it into a mermaid gown.
I basted a crinoline to the bottom, then glued almost 100 ostrich feathers to it! :O
I made the hat from scraps of the skirt, and the hand cuffs were made out of an old feather dusters feathers, and more skirt scraps. They button with Fleur De Lise buttons!

Image hotlink - 'http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/irishdaydreamer/stock0210_-706.jpg'

Image hotlink - 'http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/irishdaydreamer/stock0210_-694.jpg'
This thing was so much fun to walk in, you have no idea. It was kind of a pain getting up and down stairs, though.

Image hotlink - 'http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee213/irishdaydreamer/stock0210_-695.jpg'

A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into these costumes, but I am MAJAH pleased with how they came out!

I don't think they're half bad, for a 16 year old.

9 Replies to Belle Dress, and Babette costume from Beauty and the Beast

re: Belle Dress, and Babette costume from Beauty and the Beast en>fr fr>en
By RattyPattymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4261, member since Mon Dec 29, 2003
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 09:09 PM
Good job! Those look amazing!
What pattern did you use for the Belle dress?
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3182, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 09:37 PM
Holy crap...you really are amazing
They are both beautiful. I am so jealous. My skills stop after taking years to learn how to sew buttons
I still want a pygmy puff

Comment #8843316 deleted
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2010-02-21 15:23:42 double post

By Sumayah Comments: 6095, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 09:58 PM
Wow! Mad sewing skills and geez you're only 16!?!?!? I could barely sew a seam straight when I was 16 - heck I can't sew a straight seam now! Awesome job on those costumes!
By irishdaydreamermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1538, member since Tue Jul 10, 2007
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:51 PM
Ratty: This one: www.simplicity.com . . .
It was a pretty solid pattern, although I had to cut it down BIG TIME. The pattern said that the size I should use was an 8, but I had to cut it down to more of a 2 to get it to fit :?

Ally: Well, if you can't make it down my way for Deathly Hallows, mebby I can mail you one :P

Sumayah: Why, thank'ee! :D My grandma made me learn to sew when I was 12, and I've been hooked ever since.
By pondflyPremium member Comments: 1099, member since Thu Dec 24, 2009
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 03:06 PM
Damn, you did a very good job. It's good to see that you can see past the pattern to your finished product.
By Miss_Tami_Leemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 277, member since Mon Nov 02, 2009
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 06:18 PM
Wow look at you! I love both costumes, it's great seeing other people's projects
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4376, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Mon Feb 22, 2010 09:51 AM
Those are amazing! So beautiful. Is sewing just a hobby or something you see yourself doing long term?
On Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:12 PM
^ Well, I adore costume design, and have an unhealthy obsession with historical costuming, so I definitely think that I'm going to be involved with it for a long time. But, my first love is acting, so right now I'm thinking about majoring in college in Theatre, and
doing both acting, and costume design. Plus, being able to sew stuff and sell it is definitely going to help me have a steadier income than acting will probably bring.

ReplySendWatch