Forum: Irish / Irish - Beginners

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Is my wig too "big" for Novice?
By luckyclover1member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:44 PM

Hi all, I want your opinion. I just got a new wig, and it's bigger than I thought it looked on the website. I think it looks nice, but do you think it's too "big" for a Novice dancer? That's the level I'm currently at. Just curious what you all think.
Thanks!!

27 Replies to Is my wig too "big" for Novice?

re: Is my wig too "big" for Novice?
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:48 PM
I think it will be alright if you style it low. No wig lifts! Novice is full of all types--school dresses, solo dresses, big wigs, no wigs, and everything in between. Talk to your TCRG, but you should be fine.
By butterfly_capemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:55 PM
I agree with what was mentioned above. If this is your solo dress, which I'm assuming it is, the wig is the perfect height/size to compensate for the skirt.
We organise grades diffrently to you on my side of the world, so I don't know what is expected of a novice dancer, but as far as your wig goes, I think it is a great size in comparison with your dress, and the rest of your 'look'.
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:41 AM
Thank you, both. :) I thought it looked very nice with my dress as well. I actually don't have any kind of wig lift on, just a ponytail. The wig is kind of "fat" on top already. I tried it on first with my normal wig lift and it was about a foot off the top of my head! :)
By angelfish10member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:43 AM
The way it is now looks great! I only mean that you shouldn't go any taller just yet. Your pictures look lovely.
By luv2jigmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 09:15 AM
I like the way you have it on in the picture. It doesn't look too big on you (ie the wig wearing the dancer look), in fact, it looks very proportional. Go for it!
By Haley1
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 09:29 AM
NOt at all! It works very well on you. It completes the wonderful look of your beautiful solo dress! as long as you keep it at that height.

Best of luck!

-Haley
By tututango
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 09:40 AM
Looks very nicely balanced to me, and pretty too, especially with the dress you're wearing. I wouldn't change a thing and this wig can easily go up a level as you progress in your dancing. Good luck in it!
By happydancer2
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:23 PM
If the wig is still new the curls are probably going to relax a bit, don´t worry if it is looking a bit "fat" at the moment.
I think you´ll be fine.
By irishdancingdog
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 04:47 PM
Your wig is fine for novice. It is up to your teacher as to whether the wig is too long for novice, but I think it's fine.
By Maisey
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 05:04 PM
If you are wearing a solo dress in Novice you can go big with the wig especially at your age group. On tiny kid in a school dress in the U6-s..maybe too much..on you it looks just right.
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 21, 2010 06:06 PM
I think the wig is fine for novice, especially without a lift. Though I can't help but notice that your dress looks *really* short in the back. In the picture from the side it looks to be well above the new mid thigh rule and from that angle it even looks as though you are close to the point of seeing your bloomers.

I am not trying to sound mean, just trying to be helpful.

Sorry for the slight hijack.
On Mon Feb 22, 2010 01:50 AM
Thanks so much for the replies, everyone. I feel much better about my wig now. :)

SamCarter-- Yes, I noticed it looks really short in that picture too!! I've only worn this dress once at a feis so far, so this was the first time I saw what I looked like "sideways". I have a very round "booty", so I tend to have a problem with it shortening my skirts in the back. I didn't think to check it because the front of this dress is so long on me, I thought it would be ok in the back. Next time I put it on I'm going to have someone do a "bloomers check" to tell me what it looks like from the back. This is my first solo and I just got it, so I'd really hate to have to get another one so soon, but we will see. :/ Thank you!
By Sweet_Annabelle
On Mon Feb 22, 2010 06:42 AM
I actually think it looks nice, not too big at all. Do you mind telling me which wig this is? I've been looking for a longer, loose curl wig, but haven't found the right one yet.

Thanks!
By dancingstar77
On Mon Feb 22, 2010 07:27 AM
Hi there.
I love the wig, may I ask who your dressmaker is please?
By princessgrainne
On Tue Feb 23, 2010 08:14 AM
I think the wig looks great and isn't too big at all. I would definitely talk to a local dress maker and see if you can fix the back to lay a bit longer - sometimes local dressmakers have great ideas in terms of adding some material here and there. Ours is great! I don't know how they do it but they have saved quite a few parents from buying another dress and making the one they have last a bit longer.
By SamCartermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:43 AM
If it's bunching up a bit in the back at the waist, then it might just need to be let out a bit at the zipper so that it can sit lower on your booty (instead of above it) and then it will be lower in the back. Form the picture it looks like the back is as much as 4-6 inches shorter in the back than the front. I just can't imagine a dress maker making it that way on purpose.
By seacaptain
On Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:28 PM
^ yes, i'd say that really should be fixed. Try local tailor or the dress maker. (if you bought the dress new, dm should fix that for free.)
On Tue Feb 23, 2010 06:29 PM
Hi everyone, thanks so much for the advice! (wig and skirt!)

For those who asked, the wig is the Sophia wig from theirish-dancer.com.
theirish-dancer.com . . .

It's on sale and they say it might have some loose curls, but as far as mine is, i don't see anything major. I got color 14/24. The wig cap does seem a little bit big for my head, though, it will need lots of bobby pins.

About the skirt- I just wore this dress at a feis for the first time and i had about 9 relatives watching me dance, and i can't believe no one said anything about my skirt! :) although, it was their first feis experience, so they probably were overwhelmed by the short-and-shorter skirts that were all around. :)
I'm pretty sure the dress maker didn't make it this way on purpose (shorter in back). I bought it 2nd hand, so it's not made for my body shape. I don't know the name of the dress maker (she was local to the previous owner), but the dress is very well constructed, so I imagine it fit the girl it was made for just fine. I'll put it on and have some pictures taken of the back view just so i can see it, but I will bring it in to a seamstress soon and see what they can do. I'll probably wait until after St. Pats, though. At least for all St. Pats performances I wear black tights, which look a little more respectable with short skirts than poodles do. :)
By slabls88
On Tue Feb 23, 2010 06:39 PM
I think it looks good for you. Good luck to you as move up thru the ranks
By suz30
On Wed Feb 24, 2010 01:35 PM
I think you look amazing. Good luck to you.
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 24, 2010 06:00 PM
Your wig is bigger than mine (and mine is a bit on the big side) but it isn't too big. I don't think their is an official rule about the size of a wig at any level.

And by the way, I love the colors on your dress, too.
By maureenmojo
On Wed Feb 24, 2010 06:07 PM
Not at all... Love the wig. I think my dancer would love it!
By LNNdesign
On Fri Mar 05, 2010 08:17 AM
Love the wig, it's looks quite natural, which is the look I prefer.

About the skirt. Dressmakers actually dó tend to make the back shorter, to make sure the back doesn't show seen from the front when on stage. I however always extend the back somewhere between 2 to 4 cm's when people have a bit more 'booty'. This way the bodice' hem is equal all around and you're not showing bloomers! See if there's room to let it out anywhere.
By LNNdesign
On Fri Mar 05, 2010 08:20 AM
Edited by LNNdesign (220752) on 2010-03-05 08:22:15 whoopsie, spelling mistake
Just noticed that your sleevs are quite long. My TC doesn't allow our hands to be 'hidden'. You might want to shorten them slightly?

Besides my critique, it's a beautiful dress, lovely colours that suit you.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch