Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Pas de Deux help
By cadaques15
On Tue Feb 23, 2010 09:10 PM
Edited by cadaques15 (219390) on 2010-02-23 21:14:15

I am hoping to start Pas de Deux class soon but my teacher has told me that I need to "bulk up" (im verk skinny!). What excersizes do you suggest to gain muscle but not bulgy muscles (besides push-ups, i am doing them regularly)

8 Replies to Pas de Deux help

re: Pas de Deux help
By adsum
On Sun Feb 28, 2010 04:49 PM
I find over head presses to be helpful. Lifting weights up over your head. The tricky thing with weights and ballet is, you can build a bit of muscle, but don't want to do it unevenly. If you work out your shoulders, work out your back as well, and your core.

I'm also really lean, and I couldn't build much muscle no matter how much I worked out. This book really helped me see ways to workout less, and build more muscle:
astore.amazon.com . . .

Strength is good, but as you learn proper partnering technique it will make everything easier. I'd say partnering is 70% technique, 30% strength.
By portdebras77
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:28 PM
hi, unfortunately i didn't again start the pas de deux.

I started the ballet only 2 years ago.

i can tell you that my teacher told me always that it is very important to make the push-up every day for the shoulder and for the pas de deux too.

How many years do you started ballet?
By portdebras77
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:29 PM
hi, unfortunately i didn't again start the pas de deux.

I started the ballet only 2 years ago.

i can tell you that my teacher told me always that it is very important to make the push-up every day for the shoulder and for the pas de deux too.

How many years do you started ballet?
By cadaques15
On Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:39 PM
I've been doing ballet for about 8 months.
By JoshuaSullivan
On Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:03 AM
I've been told i'm a very good partner, and actually have gotten in places because of it.
I would say proper technique is your number 1 thing. But, that being said there is a lot of shear strength involved with holding a girl above your head with one hand. I'm assuming your 16+.
There are 4 main muscles you need to build
1) Quads
2) Core
3) Chest
4) Bi/triceps

Thats just about everything, but work with me here. As a general rule, my weight training consists of pushups (6 different styles)/situps/crunches/plank. When i have time, i hit the gym (3 or so times a month) and basically hit every piece of upper body equipment they have and work on what needs work. You should have a general idea where you are strong and where you are weak. Get on some of the weight machines and lift.
2 things to be mindful of.
1) all of these machines are targeted to specific muscles. Meaning, you probably won't be able to lift the weight of a girl on any specific machine (although, thats my goal).
2) Remember, free weights, these machines, and anything else in a gym doesn't move and isn't sweaty and throwing herself at you. Plus, they're all 'dead weights'. Partnering, in my opinion, is a lot harder than lifting weights.

I personally use weights to zero in on efficiency, but you should pretty much be able to weight train using your bodies natural weight.
People have talked to me about protein drinks. I consume a lot of protein, but haven't had any magical success with any drink or shake or anything.
Feel free to send me a PM or something, i'll be glad to help you the best i can!
By PerfectFeet
On Sat Apr 10, 2010 05:14 PM
And don't forget the shoulders! Lifting a girl above your head can be like lifting a trash bag full of jello over your head if she doesn't do her part and make herself rigid. And regardless of who's fault it is, the guy looks bad and the guy takes the blame.

Stay calm. Be the man. Get to know your partners on an individual basis, because they'll all dance a little different. Gotta have their trust, too.

Eat protein!
By JoshuaSullivan
On Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:11 PM
PerfectFeet has a great point. Be the essence of confidence. Even if i'm personally unnerved about something, i don't let the girl know. After all, she'll be the one 12 feet off the ground. Best phrase of the day - Be the man.
By fleshjazzpants
On Thu May 20, 2010 10:23 PM
I would recommend that you sign up at a gym somewhere. Do a membership for like a month. Then you will gain strength from the pas de duex classes and partnering but if you can't lift the girl then you can really gain the strength because the skill is never worked on.

ReplySendWatch