Forum: Irish / Irish - Dressmakers & Costumers

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Crystal info (karma: 6)
By China_Doll
On Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:48 AM
Made sticky by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-03-04 00:00:46
Made unsticky by Sumayah (204191) on 2012-09-30 14:35:54 Replacing with new thread!

So I am a big fan of doing my DD's Crystals on her dresses it works out a bit cheaper and with all the new laws concerning lead in the crystals- Some new dresses do not come with crystals already added. SO With that said I thought I would add a post with some of the crystal sites I use and some other Tidbits that might help.

Hotfix- Hotfix crystals have glue already infused on the back of each crystal- I prefer these because it makes it MUCH easier to attach them to a dress without the mess of glue seeping out from the sides. HOWEVER these can NOT be applied to some fabrics as the heat sometimes melts certian things(like some of the fabrics used in tutu and cupcake skirts) When in doubt Get a spare bit of fabric or test a hidden seam before you get started.

Hotfix tool: This is like a tiny little Iron with different sized tips to fit each Crystal Size. YOU do not NEED one of these to work with hotfix crystals but they make application much easier. (in my opinion)

Flatbacks- usually refer to the crystals that do not have glue-To attach these I usually use Gemtac- or e6000 make sure you test either of these on the fabric BEFORE use. If you are sensitive to smells- Please be near a window or a well vented area.

Colors-Crystal colors vary from each store and you can find just about ANYTHING the tricky thing with colors is if you need to re-order it is not always easy to find a perfect match so make sure if you do not know the exact color name that you ask for a color chart.

Clear vrs AB: Clear stones are the ones that look most like Diamonds. AB is a rainbow type of finish on the stone- EVERYONE has their favorits- I prefer AB on some colors and Clear on other colors- AB has a bit of a pinkish tint- so beware putting it on certian reds shaded colors as it might throw off your colors.

Sizes- MOST places carry TONS of sizes- I would say 16ss-48ss are the most popular for putting directly on the dresses. 10ss are great for crystal poodle socks. WHATEVER YOU DO do not order 3ss - I did it(meant to order 3 mm which is a HIGE difference)- They exist- and they are more or less like sparkly dust...(3ss=Amber running under the table and shaking in fear)

OK what about these HUGE stones everyone was wearing at All irelands- Now I was not there so I was not on top of the dresses to inspect- but i am going with the assumption that these were Sew on Crystals- They are HUGE so I would recommend putting a think layer of whatever gem glue you use and then sewing them on with clear thread or super thin fishing/beading wire. They are not cheap so you do not want those things falling off.I have ordered a few for my DD's dress and will let you know my findings when they get here:)

Feel free to add more tidbits these were just on the top of my head... Now onto the WHERE To buy

Tami's Place- Tamisplace.com
She offers free shipping and I have never waited more than 3 days for Crystals from Seems like as soon as I order then I am getting my shipping info. Great Prices on BULK especially for the 20ss and below... She also has a small selection of the new "it thing" being the Giant sew on crystals.

Hot fix queen -hotfixqueen.com - Free shipping over $25 I have not personally ordered from here but a few of our other dance parents have and they love the service

Dreamtime Creations- dreamtimecreations.com - If it sparkles this place has it- they have the large Stones- a great selection of hotfix and flatbacks. ALSO they have the chain's of crystals and amazing crystal appliques. Shipping is not free but is very quick- One time my shipment was stolen from the UPS truck - I called to let them know and they had my order reshipped to me right away and took care of all the claims with UPS without me paying a single dime extra! Amazing service

Rhinestoneshop.com - Free shipping- Montly specials - Only used this place once but service was good and shipping was quick.

Artbeads.com - the prices on small stones are a little higher but they have great selections on the Larger stones - and discounts for the more you buy- also they have discounts when you buy over a certian amount price wise.

There are MANY MANY more Crystal places out there these are just ones I (or someone I know) have used and had a good expierence with. I hope this can be helpful I have noticed a few people asking different things about crystals.

47 Replies to Crystal info

re: Crystal info
By cooper2Premium member
On Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:42 AM
Thank you sooooo much for the info. I maybe adding crystals to DD new dress and was not quite sure where to begin. Thought I would try on practice fabric first. It really looks like fun!!!
By China_Doll
On Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:52 AM
It is actually pretty addictive!! It is great stress release too because you are very focused so it is hard to be stressed about other things- feel free to PM if you have any questions this was just a real basic list.
By Rincemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 24, 2010 01:06 PM
what is the size or name of those huge crystals(Lauren Early's dress has them), I want a couple for my dress and I have no clue where to look, thanks!
By cmdc
On Wed Feb 24, 2010 01:41 PM
Don't forget about the rhinestone guy (.com). He has a crappy website but great service, and cheap prices. I ordered Czec rhinestones recently and they outshine the Swarovskis (and were cheaper). Also, can't recommend the applicator enough. This is basically a tooth pick with one end having a huge glob of wax on it. you "stab" or press that on the rhinestone (the pretty sparkly side) and it picks it up, and you can lay it right down into the spot with glue and it comes right off. No dealing with tweezers or needing tiny fingers.
By China_Doll
On Wed Feb 24, 2010 03:00 PM
Edited by China_Doll (189854) on 2010-02-24 15:01:21
Rince wrote:

what is the size or name of those huge crystals(Lauren Early's dress has them), I want a couple for my dress and I have no clue where to look, thanks!

Try looking on Art Beads... they have a lot of the"sew on" Large crystals in various shapes for a good deal (more you buy the less they cost)

CMDC- yes thanks I have ordered from him aswell and he is great- I tried to add him but it was too late to edit my post so I will try to make another list as I get some others info to add into my own!
By Realtreble
On Wed Feb 24, 2010 07:26 PM
I would like to put in a plug for eJoyce (that I will not be compensated for). A phone call to them when I am looking for unusual, rare or discontinued colors has always been successful. I've learned not to go by the inventory online, as they only list the colors they have in great abundance or are most popular.

Thank you China Doll for this wonderful summary.
By CelticCatPremium member
On Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 PM
Wow, China_Doll, thank you so much for all your work and for taking the time to summarize it for us DDN'ers.

My favorite supplier is Tami's Place for the great service, super prices and free/fast shipping. I did a survey of various suppliers and they are very competitive.

To add on to this post, here's a link to the Boyd School's webpage on crystal application tips (kudos to our own Bethany's MAID):

www.boydirishdance.com . . .

Also, if anyone's doing a lot of ongoing crystal work, you can buy Swarovski color charts that also show crystal sizes. I got mine for about $10 and it has actual crystals so you can see the color flashes of each type.
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:39 AM
great post!
does anyone know if BNDM from overseas (aka gavin, siopa, taylor designs, etc) will ship a dress with crystals on it to a 19 year old dancer? or does the law prohibit this?
By China_Doll
On Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:44 AM
saoirse3473 wrote:

great post!
does anyone know if BNDM from overseas (aka gavin, siopa, taylor designs, etc) will ship a dress with crystals on it to a 19 year old dancer? or does the law prohibit this?

I can not remember exactly but I think the ruling applied to 12 and under.
By irishdancingdog
On Wed Mar 03, 2010 03:01 PM
First of all, thank you sooo much for this! Super helpful! Also, what is this law about crystals? Is it an irish dance rule or is it national or international? Thanks!
By China_Doll
On Thu Mar 04, 2010 05:25 AM
First off- AWWWW my first sticky!! THANKS GUYS (better than an oscar!!)

irishdancingdog wrote:

First of all, thank you sooo much for this! Super helpful! Also, what is this law about crystals? Is it an irish dance rule or is it national or international? Thanks!

Some of the actual dressmakers might have better understanding of this than I. However from what I have gathered- It is a law limiting the amount of lead based products on childrens clothing- So I believe the age was somewhere to the extent of 12 and under but Dress makers can still add crystals if they have had the fabrics/crystals tested?? haha it is all greek to me honestly!

In Amber Translation- I GET TO PLAY WITH MORE CRYSTALS!!! - which is never a bad thing for me:)
By TxTreble
On Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:06 PM
I agree, the rhinestone guy has good product, quick service etc - sometimes a little extra bling done on your own can really refresh a dress and is a cost effective way to do it.
re: Crystal info (karma: 1)
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Apr 17, 2010 01:39 PM
I am in the midst (literally) of putting crystals (flatbacks and glue) on my dress. Some things I have learned:

I put the E6000 in a syringe my husband had for woodworking. It has a tiny opening in a curved tip. I could really see where I was putting the glue. Also, I think the syringe really limited the odor.

E6000 can "string" from your fabric to the syringe tip as it starts to dry. Giving the tip a little push and twist on the fabric stops that.

I am using the wax tipped stick. FABULOUS device! :D but the tackiness of the glue is not enough to get the wax to let go of the stone. If I give the stone a slightly circular press into the glue, it lets go more easily. Then I give the stone a little push with the other end of the stick, or my finger, to get it to set all the way into the glue.

Start in the least visible area, so you can get the hang of it with your fabrics. I started on the back where the cape would hide one or two on the skirt. Then when I came to the front, I started at the bottom of the skirt. Gradually work your way to the areas of the dress people see the most up close (upper bodice and neckline) and by the time you get to that area, you will be a pro.

Good luck! Now back to the crystals!
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 20, 2010 02:24 PM
anyone suggest where to get crystals in the uk?
I want to add some to a skirt, not sure whether to go with hotfix or not, the material is like a net type, not quite tutu but it makes ruffles, it doesnt like really hot irons either!
By China_Doll
On Sun Jun 20, 2010 03:55 PM
Not sure where to get them in the UK but definatly be careful if you do use hot fix- use a tip 1 size smaller than the crystal you are using- and TEST it first. I put crystals on a netting/tutu skirt for my daughter with hotfix but one slip and as soon as the tool hits it it melts. I am about to run out soon but I will look around at UK crystal sites sometime tomorrow if i can.
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 04:45 AM
I took my skirt to the local haberdashers and had a word with them, they don't do hotfix, but they have used them before and reckoned that the material would melt. They also advised against glue as the material is so thin it would seep through to the next layer. So I have ended up with sew on ones instead, got 100 tiny ones (about 2mm) and 20 bigger ones about 7mm clear in colour, for £13. Ok a little expensive, but I don't have much choice round here, and if I was to order off the internet, by the time I pay postage and packing, and for glue then it would be just as much. I have to sew them on, but at least it gives me smething to do when I am bored, and there wont be glue marks and they wont fall off!
I will post a pic when I am done modifying my costume
By China_Doll
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 04:55 AM
WOW you rock!! sew on- me+Sewing= fingers that look like swiss cheese...CANT WAIT TO SEE IT!!!
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 05:01 AM
me + sewing isnt too great but i have made a skirt once before so shouldnt struggle too much!
By irishdancefreakmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Jun 29, 2010 07:13 PM
awesome, this is really good. I had the flatbacks and used E6000 and it was super stinky but looked great! THANKS!
By mo3
On Mon Jul 05, 2010 08:45 AM
I have used danceshopper and found service and price really good.
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Jul 05, 2010 09:16 AM
beadsfactory.com I'm a small DM and this is the store I went to in the LA garment district, its the least expensive I've found anywhere for swarovski crystals. I think 1 gross 40ss is like $22... :) And they have all different sizes/colors
By butterfly_capemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Jul 10, 2010 09:54 PM
I'm at a loss in regards to how many crystals I need for my new dress, I was wondering if you could help.
Do you remember how many gross you used on Sabre's new yellow/white dress?
I plan on using a similar technique on the skirt, randomly scattering the crystals (Slightly more closer to the waistband, less and less further down the skirt).
The bodice has two pieces coming down similar to this picture www.lewisirishdresses.com . . ., and a waistband piece similar to this www.lewisirishdresses.com . . .. I plan to simply outline each of these in crystals.
Do you have any idea how many crystals it would take to scatter around the skirt and outline the two bodice pieces and the waistline piece?
I'm going in to this with absolutley no idea, so any suggestion would be great. I don't mind having a few extra, they can go around the sleves, cape, headband etc.
Thankyou so much in advance.
By krisinstitches
On Wed Jul 14, 2010 07:22 AM
I have used anywhere from 500-1000 crystals, varying in size depending on the design I was going for. I typically end up under-buying, but if you are going for the clear crystals or crystal ABs, any extra you have can likely be used on the next dress.
By China_Doll
On Wed Aug 25, 2010 05:01 AM
butterfly_cape wrote:

I'm at a loss in regards to how many crystals I need for my new dress, I was wondering if you could help.
Do you remember how many gross you used on Sabre's new yellow/white dress?
I plan on using a similar technique on the skirt, randomly scattering the crystals (Slightly more closer to the waistband, less and less further down the skirt).
The bodice has two pieces coming down similar to this picture www.lewisirishdresses.com . . ., and a waistband piece similar to this www.lewisirishdresses.com . . .. I plan to simply outline each of these in crystals.
Do you have any idea how many crystals it would take to scatter around the skirt and outline the two bodice pieces and the waistline piece?
I'm going in to this with absolutley no idea, so any suggestion would be great. I don't mind having a few extra, they can go around the sleves, cape, headband etc.
Thankyou so much in advance.

ahhh SORRY i replied so late to this(new baby has been keeping me on my toes and OFF DDN) For the yellow white dress I ordered 1440 of the 20ss about 1 gross of 34ss and half a gross of 40ss(then the several large stones were a find on ebay) the 1440 will easily get you through outlining the bodice and cape and should leave you a decent amount for the skirt(depending on how much embroidery is on the top) rhinestoneshop.com has a size chart and maybe if you are looking at an aprox size you can get a better idea of what you want to put where. Let make sure to load some photos!
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch