Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

bourees
By Jutty04901
On Fri Feb 26, 2010 08:47 AM

In class yesterday we did this combination doing bourees. I was the only guy in class and thought she might have me do something else but she didn't say anything so I did them with the rest of the girls. This is a mixed class. There is usually about 15 of us. In the past few weeks there have been a couple other guys in class that are students at the university that normally show up during class. There are usually 6 or so girls who are ninish. another 5 or 6 who are probably 13 to 16 or so, and then 3 other girls in there 20s, 2 or whom are pregnant. and then me.

I thought I had my best petite allegro performance last night. We did it a little slower so that helped.

4 Replies to bourees

re: bourees
By kenwoodman
On Sat Feb 27, 2010 03:10 PM
Typically guys don't do bourrees, I know someone is going to say "but you should do them anyhow, blah blah blah" but you shouldn't, you'll never do them unless you join the Trockaderos. Assuming you have no aspirations to dance en pointe, don't bother. In many combinations in which the girls do bourees you can substitute a quick pas de bourree.

Sometimes in adage in the center after the first side is finished the girls will bourree back if the combination made us move forward, as a guy you can usually take a few nice steps backwards with some decent arms.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 27, 2010 03:17 PM
What kenwoodman says is true.

However... I would caution against defining and maintaining your gender identity in terms of what you DON'T do in the studio. It can limit your abilities to train well and express yourself well through movement.

Doing a bourree won't erode your maleness any more than doing a double tour would erode another dancer's femaleness.
By pondflyPremium member
On Thu Mar 04, 2010 08:42 PM
In my class they'll have me do it but since we're such a small class I do some of the ladies work and they do some of my work.
However they are trying to get me as high as possible on my toes. They know I'm up for a challenge and they appreciate it.
By yostretch
On Mon Mar 15, 2010 08:03 AM
good for you and keep up the good work...not everything you do in class you will do on stage but it is always good to know how to do it ....

ReplySendWatch