Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Leaps, Turns, and lifts, kind of important. Help?
By Cassielovesyou
On Fri Feb 26, 2010 06:53 PM

Okay. I'm pretty flexible, but any great stretches you have would be welcome. Also, I can not get my stupid frickin chenae turns down. I'm bad at spotting. I try and I try and yet, I still don't have it. Help? Also, I need to get my legs much much stronger in order to have better leaps. I have all three splits, to the point of an good oversplit, but I still can't get my leaps to where they should be. I'm looking for help on a split leap and a russian. This one is most important. I need to get my russian up and out into the splits, same with my side and this needs to happen soon. Also, I am choreographing a lyrical duet with my dancing partner. We are wondering if you could both A) Name some great lifts and B)Show some pics. All of these things would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much.

3 Replies to Leaps, Turns, and lifts, kind of important. Help?

re: Leaps, Turns, and lifts, kind of important. Help?
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Fri Feb 26, 2010 08:26 PM
That's about 10 different questions, each which deserve a special response.

1) I'm pretty flexible, but any great stretches you have would be welcome.

DDN has a stretching board that you can look at, read the current threads, and find a LOT out about stretching different muscle groups. www.dance.net . . .

2) Also, I can not get my stupid frickin chenae turns down. I'm bad at spotting. I try and I try and yet, I still don't have it. Help?

When you're not getting something it's best to describe exactly what's going wrong. The only two things taht come to my mind is neck inflexibility that is preventing spotting, or your eyes aren't focusing well enough at the spot and/or are focusing while you're turning which is preventing a proper spot.

3) Also, I need to get my legs much much stronger in order to have better leaps. I have all three splits, to the point of an good oversplit, but I still can't get my leaps to where they should be. I'm looking for help on a split leap and a russian. This one is most important. I need to get my russian up and out into the splits, same with my side and this needs to happen soon.

Same thing as above: DDN has a strengthening board with topics on leaps already current, so you can find those, read the responses that have been made and respond on that thread. www.dance.net . . .

4)Also, I am choreographing a lyrical duet with my dancing partner. We are wondering if you could both A) Name some great lifts and B)Show some pics. All of these things would be GREATLY appreciated.

Really, you need to learn lifts from instructors, or do ones you already know. It can be dangerous to try new things without a trained instructor or experienced peer: you could hurt yourself or your partner. Teachers will develop your partnering skills -- including lifts--as you are ready for them. :)

Finally:
www.dance.net . . .

You're new to the boards, but you should read around and get the feel of the place. There are stickies at the top of every individual board that it's good to read BEFORE you post.
By Cassielovesyou
On Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:04 PM
You're right, haha, that was a lot of questions. Thank you for your answers! :)
By CrazyDramaGirl88member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 27, 2010 01:38 PM
AlwaysOnStage covered your questions pretty well, I just have something to add that will hopefully help your spotting. Get a piece of paper and color it with a bright marker or something that will make it stand out. Tap it to a mirror at eye level. Slowly make turns in place, just walking around in a tight circle. Keep looking at the spot until your neck can't twist anymore and then snap it back around and focus on the spot again. Do this slowly as you turn around. Practice, practice, practice repeat :) Slowly make your way up as you move in a circle faster and faster. Then start trying the chenae turns, SLOWLY still. It's just a lot of practice :D

ReplySendWatch