Popular Owners

I want to give Kudos, and thanks to a wonderful teacher/SO, Holly and her school in MA. by Dream_chaser
Holly, who now runs her mom's and grandmom's school, in Massachusetts, is awesome. She has become an...

Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Ballet - Beginners
Inspirational Quotes (karma: 2)  en>fr fr>en
By Ballerina_Nicole Comments: 230, member since Mon Sep 28, 2009
On Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:10 AM

As a late starter in ballet I have often heard how it is impossible to make something of myself in the ballet world. A few days ago I stumbled upon a few quotes in a book that made me believe I could accomplish my aspirations if I simply believe I can, try my absolute hardest, and dedicate myself to my passion. Here are the quotes:

"Charismatic leaders made us think, oh if only I could do that, be like that. True leaders made us think, if they can do that... then I can too."

"Every winner was once a beginner."

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions.
Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

"Like most things, if you want to achieve something, you have to work hard, have a lot of discipline and you also have to make many sacrifices."

"Just do it"

"Always focus on what you can do and create opportunities that allow your talents to flourish."

"The world may be screaming, It's impossible, but you have have to reply, I'm possible."

"Believe in yourself so others can believe in you."

"To be successful you have to have a desire to be successful - and if you love what you do, then chances are, you're going to be good at it as well."

I hope you all will feel inspired after reading these quotes!

28 Replies to Inspirational Quotes

re: Inspirational Quotes en>fr fr>en
By DancingInTheStar Comments: 65, member since Fri Jan 08, 2010
On Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:37 AM
Really inspirational. Thank you for putting them up :)
On Mon Mar 01, 2010 01:37 PM
no problem :)
By blossom_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 27, member since Sun Feb 21, 2010
On Tue Mar 02, 2010 03:48 AM
I like those, thanks =)

I also really like, dancing is like dreaming with your feet.

Its not exactly inspiring haha, but i love it

Rach x
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3519, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Tue Mar 02, 2010 08:32 AM
One of my favorite sayings, though not necessarily dance related, is "Do something! Either lead, follow, or get the **** out of the way!"

More dance related is a saying my daughter used to have on a mug, "To live is to dance and to dance is to live."
By hannicamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 585, member since Fri Sep 21, 2007
On Tue Mar 02, 2010 09:50 AM
I really like that last one!
On Tue Mar 02, 2010 05:36 PM
her is another quote that I like: "If you wake up in the morning and all you think about is ballet, then you are a ballet dancer"
By xox_Julia_xoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 247, member since Sat Nov 08, 2008
On Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:05 PM
I love them! Especially the last one. My teacher once told me something similar: "Do what you love, and you will succeed." I try to live by that. :)

Thank you for posting.
On Wed Mar 03, 2010 05:56 AM
no problem :) If anyone knows any inspirational posts feel free to post them!
By adultbeginner Comments: 203, member since Wed Jan 20, 2010
On Wed Mar 03, 2010 09:07 AM
Thanx Ballerina! What a great thread. I will add one :

"You Have To Really Want It"
by my Favorite Modern Dance Teacher

She has said that to us from the beginning and it is oh SO true!
On Wed Mar 03, 2010 01:54 PM
I agree with your modern teacher, it is very true!
By Zophia_May Comments: 30, member since Sun Aug 30, 2009
On Wed Mar 03, 2010 09:14 PM
Hi!

Let me add my own ideas...I like quotes, but I've got to translate them from French.

I think Rudolf Nureyev once said to a group of dancers "No. No talking. Do it.", which in the original version is "Non. Pas parler. Faites." I like that because it just reminds me that sometimes, you've got to stop thinking and just trust that your body knows what to do.

Maybe it's Nureyev, too, who said that dancers are not looking at themselves in the mirror, but at the image of their reflections. Quite tricky, isn't it?

I also like this one from Nadia Comaneci, a famous gymnast:
"Hard work will always get you somewhere. (...) Above all else, you have to be hungry to do something unbelievable."

Zophia
By Gaudium Comments: 1337, member since Wed Apr 14, 2004
On Thu Mar 11, 2010 08:47 AM
Now let me be the wet blanket, To become a professional dancer you must become skilled, learn to perform and find out the best way to live with injuries. No matter your age you will have injuries. The younger you are the faster you will adapt.
By HighlandBum Comments: 325, member since Tue Apr 14, 2009
On Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:10 PM
I was practicing the other day...but wasn't really in the mood, so I thought to myself "How badly do you want it". This has certainly helped my discipline! Another inspirational quotation I found a while ago is:
"Success is the good fortune that comes from aspiration, desperation, perspiration, and inspiration."
By RawrRose Comments: 174, member since Mon Jan 04, 2010
On Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:45 PM
As a beginner, I really appreciate the "Every winner was once a beginner."
By Dance4evaa Comments: 158, member since Wed Nov 25, 2009
On Fri Mar 12, 2010 09:46 PM
love the quotes
my favourite is

"The world may be screaming, It's impossible, but you have have to reply, I'm possible."

:) thanks
By jazzerina111 Comments: 7, member since Fri Feb 26, 2010
On Sat Mar 13, 2010 07:50 AM
I always liked "To succeed is to prove them wrong."
By justsimplyme Comments: 7, member since Tue Mar 09, 2010
On Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:54 PM
Those are all really great quotes!

I always remind myself to never think of things as impossible. Vince Lombardi once said "We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as impossible". A great reminder to stay positive about it!
On Sun Mar 14, 2010 03:08 PM
I agree!
By Miyoko47member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 89, member since Sat May 31, 2008
On Sun Mar 14, 2010 05:03 PM
Oh I LOVE quotes! I have an entire hard cover note book that I have filled with them! Here are a few of my favourites (that are relevant, some of the others in my book really get me laughing but they are completely random and of topic!)

“On the other hand you have different fingers”

“Wish for what you want, work for what you need”

“Sometimes you’re the windshield, sometimes you’re the bug”

“The problem is not the problem, it’s your attitude about the problem that is the problem, got that?”

“You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way”

“Show me a girl with her feet firmly planted on the ground, and I’ll show you a girl that can’t put her pants on”

“Unless I accept my faults I will most certainly doubt my virtues”

“Fear: False Evidence Appearing Real”

“Never say ‘oops,’ always say ‘ah, interesting’.”

“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember; amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic”

“As long as the world is turning and spinning, we’re going to get dizzy and we’re going to make mistakes”

“No man is an Island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the Continent”

“Fall seven times, stand up eight”

“What ever you feel, just dance it”

“Well behaved women don’t make history”

“No body cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance.”

“Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.“

“Congratulations! You’re not perfect! It’s ridiculous to want to be perfect anyway! But then, everybody’s ridiculous sometimes, except perfect people. You know what perfect is? Perfect is not eating or drinking or talking or moving a muscle or making even the teeniest mistake. Perfect means never doing anything wrong – which means never doing anything at all. Perfect is boring! So you’re not perfect! Wonderful! Have fun! Eat things that give you bad breath! Trip over your own shoelaces! Laugh! Let somebody else laugh at you! Perfect people never do any of those things. All they do is sit around and sip weak tea and think about how perfect they are. But they’re not 100% perfect anyway. You should see them when they got the hiccups! Phooey! Who needs them? Good people are hard to find nowadays and they are a lot more fun then perfect people!”
By Lithia Comments: 27, member since Fri Dec 04, 2009
On Mon Mar 15, 2010 05:58 PM
“Never say ‘oops,’ always say ‘ah, interesting’.”
*love*

I will fill in some of my dance teacher's favourites: (translated from norwegian)

"No, ballet isn't easy. Nothing in life ever is."

"Ballet is pain, in a good way."

"En pointe you have got to just try. Overthink it or believe you can't do it, and you can't."
By danaelovesballetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 84, member since Sat Apr 04, 2009
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 07:14 PM
Ok this isn't really inspiring, but it makes me smile.

"Dancers don't sweat, they glisten." --My dance teacher :)
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:05 PM
I like that quote!
By heranimalgracemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 72, member since Sun Apr 18, 2010
On Wed Apr 21, 2010 07:09 PM
Thank you so much for posting these! They are just what I need for those days when a class doesn't go so well. We all have to remember that all prima ballerinas were once in our shoes!
By Gracefully Comments: 54, member since Wed Apr 14, 2010
On Thu Apr 22, 2010 01:13 PM
I like these quotes:

"Why do I dance? Why do you breathe?"

"Live like there's no tomorrow, Love like you never got hurt, and dance like no one is watching"

"I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them"

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why they call it 'the present'"

"Dance for yourself. If someone understands, good. If not, then no matter. Go right on doing what you love."

Here's a website with alot more great ballet/dance quotes: www.balletconnections.com . . . :)
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch