Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Guys Only Dancewear, Designed by men for men. Sound like an idea?
By dancingdawg
On Thu Mar 04, 2010 05:09 PM

I am tired of not being able to find mens stuff and having to navigate pages of pink to find a pair of mens bike shorts, or a jazz pant.

I am toying with the idea of designing a line of mens leotards, shorts, leggings, and other dance wear with the options available to girls.

Any thoughts or things you would like to see.

17 Replies to Guys Only Dancewear, Designed by men for men. Sound like an idea?

re: Guys Only Dancewear, Designed by men for men. Sound like an idea?
By cadaques15
On Thu Mar 04, 2010 07:08 PM
That sounds like a great idea! It would be nice to see men's convertible tights; they are impossible to find anywhere!
By pondflyPremium member
On Thu Mar 04, 2010 08:21 PM
Give it a try, it can't hurt.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:30 PM
You're dealing with a niche market here: there are about 99 girls for every boy involved in ballet. You'll have to find a way to reach a very diffuse set of potential customers. You'll have to find a way to make stuff in low volume, cheap enough. And you'll have to find a way to market options beyond black-and-white to a group of people who often feel socially insecure with respect to their participation in dance.

Not impossible, especially with the Internet. But not the easiest business to run either.
By rmdanceguy1
On Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:05 PM
I agree with Green pumpkin. Part of the reason why men's dancewear is the way it is i.e. more expensive than women's is there are far less men in dance. I think it would be nice if someone could give men more choices of good, durable dancewear made and sold for less than the prices are now.
By TidalWhale
On Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:20 PM
Maybe you could market a "Basics Kit." Including tights, dancebelt, tee/leo, and slippers. Have it availale at a reduced price, also making the items available a la carte.You can even do the famous "BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!" and include an information packet of the Male roles in ballet and information on how to wear and preserve the items purchased (i.e. how to sew slippers, tight maitenance, dancebelt q&a.) You could say, "In a matter of four clicks, you can have all your basic ballet needs." The four clicks being the sizes needed for the garments. It would make it less chalenging then going through multiple sites, and save time by not having to go to a dance store (when they will most likely have to order any way.) It would be simple, quick, and pain free. Eliminating the scrolling through the pink tights, the girls slippers, and the tutu's, providing alot less confusion to Men new to the artform. I would have loved if something like this was available to me when I started, or even now!
By cadaques15
On Mon Mar 08, 2010 09:27 PM
Edited by cadaques15 (219390) on 2010-03-08 21:44:44
What TidalWhale says is amazingly well thought out advice! I would be willing to buy that pack!
By pondflyPremium member
On Tue Mar 09, 2010 08:10 PM
Wow, Tidal hit it on the head. Nice thinking.
By TidalWhale
On Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:59 AM
Thanks Guys, but seriously, how much time/money do you waste looking for what you need. If it was convienient you would also probably buy more of what you need/want. It is literally a niche market. The only thing is you would need to get a large following since male dancers are not as abundant as their counterparts. Marketing would be key!
By pondflyPremium member
On Wed Mar 10, 2010 04:37 PM
Word of mouth is your best friend or your worst enemy.

Customer service is key. Some may take offense at my model but in addition to medical I teach tactical medical (SWAT medic). I purchase nearly all my equipment (including a new $3000 rifle) from a company called LaRue Tactical. They offer a limited product line, ever so slightly more but the customer support and backing can't be compared by anyone.

If you did a search about the customer support and read from others you would be surprised. The owner is always online, answers phone calls, supports countless causes and always throws a kitchkie in every order. I could care less about the freebie but the pleasure to do business with is well worth it.

Keeping a human feel when ordering something is what is going to spread the word.
By Jutty04901
On Fri Mar 12, 2010 08:48 AM
Edited by Jutty04901 (120165) on 2010-03-12 08:53:55 wanted to add link to another site.
cadaques15 wrote:

That sounds like a great idea! It would be nice to see men's convertible tights; they are impossible to find anywhere!

There are men's convertible tights. check these out.

www.discountdance.com . . .

I also discovered this site recently.

www.sautdebasque.com . . .
By pondflyPremium member
On Fri Mar 12, 2010 06:52 PM
I've heard good things from the second site, they also make a footed version. I'm going to try them the next time I need a pair.
By rmdanceguy1
On Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:00 AM
These look great. Where can you order footed versions?
By rmdanceguy1
On Sat Mar 13, 2010 07:48 AM
I am always on the look out for more choices in a variety of colors and styles with the second web site which I think is great. I'd like to know how to order footed versions though.
By pondflyPremium member
On Sat Mar 13, 2010 05:15 PM
rmdanceguy1 wrote:

These look great. Where can you order footed versions?

Yes, if I recall from the other person I was talking with they ran about $24-26. Just shoot them an email and they will take give you the invoice.
By TidalWhale
On Mon Mar 15, 2010 09:10 PM
That sight is a great find!
By boysdancetoo2
On Thu Apr 15, 2010 09:23 PM
Hey! You guys are right. Boys Dance Too!

You have to check out our website...

boysdancetoo.com

My friend and I have been working in the Dance Retail industry for 5 years. After seeing so many disappointed guys we thought to ourselves, "What if we made a website that sold only mens dancewear" and guess what... We did it!

We have been working on this project for over a year and it is finally coming. We are the first dancewear store dedicated to JUST GUY DANCERS. We will be offering the largest selection there is and are going to be working on designing new products too.

The website is not in full effect yet (still getting all of the merchandise together). But! We urge you and every guy dancer you know to go to our website and fill out our form. We want all the guys to fill out this form and yell and scream about what they want / need. So don't worry. Your wait is over soon!

I'm so glad my business partner found you guys on this forum. Please go to the site and tell EVERYONE. You can friend us on facebook and follow us on twitter too!

Check in with you all later! Go to the site!
By JoshuaSullivan
On Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:54 AM
boysdancetoo - That sounds awesome, i can't wait for the site to come online!

as for dancingdawg - Go for it man! i mean, whereas we aren't as numerous as the girls, we're just as important. Make sure to keep us up on your endeavors. I for one, will support you with whatever means i can.
Dance stores selections usually suck, even discountdance has a very poor guys selection.
Keep us up to date!

ReplySendWatch