Forum: Irish / Irish - MAIDs

Dance dress masterpiece
By riverdancefan
On Mon Mar 08, 2010 04:56 PM

I found a great,vintage dance dress on ebay recently and won the auction-the dress arrived today. It is so intricate and labor intensive-no dressmaker today makes anything close to such a creation. I am going to put the dress in a shadowbox for my dd to use as artwork in her future home. Literally, I could study the intricate details of the dress for hours and still wonder how long it took for someone to make it. And I sew!

It was well worth the effort to watch the auction--and I ended up paying $20 total for the item with shipping!!!! Deal of the century.

12 Replies to Dance dress masterpiece

re: Dance dress masterpiece
By Hop_123member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 08, 2010 06:05 PM
Would love to see a picture of it! Including closeups of the parts you find so intricate.
By Twitchkitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 08, 2010 07:12 PM
Edited by Twitchkit (175246) on 2010-03-08 19:13:17 typo
I agree, pictures would be lovely! I love old dance dresses, and I think it's awesome that you're preserving this one for your DD.
By treblemakermama
On Mon Mar 08, 2010 08:44 PM
pictures! pictures! :)
By FeisDadAndre
On Mon Mar 08, 2010 09:33 PM
I have been watching E-bay for ID dresses over the past 5 months or so, as my DD approaches (slowly; ever so slowly) the point at which she can start wearing a solo dress. Now I am curious if the dress you just bought was one of the ones I was watching. So like the others are saying: pictures, pictures!

PS. I much prefer the traditional dresses to the newer ones, especially when they have, as you say, intricate details that must have taken a seamstress untold hours to sew.
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:33 AM
oh i would looooove to do that! anyone else know of an "old school" dress from early/mid 90"s?
i would loooove to shadow-box one, i have the perfect spot next to my "trophy" shelf lol!
sorry for the slight hyjack!

riverdancefan- i would love to see pics!
By riverdancefan
On Tue Mar 09, 2010 03:05 AM
will get some pictures up later-am getting ready to get out of the house to do some errands before work-and will do uploading later this afternoon.
By lots2do
On Tue Mar 09, 2010 06:02 AM
What a fantastic idea using the dress as art! You are brilliant! Some of the design patterns are so incredible. I miss seeing these "older" but definitely more traditional dresses.
By FeisDadAndre
On Fri Mar 12, 2010 04:43 PM
I am going to put the dress in a shadowbox for my dd to use as artwork in her future home.

I was thinking of doing something like that in my house. A while ago I got a great bargain on a traditional dress for my DD and when it arrived, I hung it on the outside of a spare bedroom door, so as to get a good look at it. It looked so good, in fact, that I've left it there for the past few weeks and it really does make the somewhat dreary hallway so much brighter.

So riverdancefan, your idea of a shadow box is a brilliant one.

The only drawback I can see in my plan is with the dress itself. I've already found the one I want but given who the owner is.... well you can see the dress here:

www.youtube.com . . .
By CelticCatPremium member
On Fri Mar 12, 2010 05:19 PM
That's a great video clip! The dress looks like my dd's first feis dress with the hand-crocheted lace & celtic knotwork over multiple panels. What fantastic dancing - I could watch this clip over and over.
By sasas1
On Wed Mar 17, 2010 09:34 AM
How fun is that! And watching on St Patrick's Day makes it even better!
By irishdancingdog
On Wed Mar 17, 2010 06:41 PM
^Haha-agreed!
By leafclover86
On Thu Mar 18, 2010 07:27 AM
Kept my dd's "legend" dress. Local dm made it from a sketch that was in our family. This is the mural of the lady in the legend We found it by accident in Donegal.

ReplySendWatch