Forum: Arts / Debates

Coincidences.. Are they merely just that, a coincidence?
By GypsieFreemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 AM

www.damninteresting.com . . .

My boyfriend showed me an incredibly interesting article today about the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.. Basically, the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon is when you learn of something for the first time, and then suddenly you hear it all the time. It's similar to when you buy a car and suddenly that's the only type of car you see on the road, or any other form of coincidental situations.

So, I'm interested.. How do you guys feel about coincidences? Do you think there is a greater meaning behind it? Do you feel that you make a bigger deal out of it because you notice a pattern? etc?

I'll conjure my thoughts and post soon

4 Replies to Coincidences.. Are they merely just that, a coincidence?

re: Coincidences.. Are they merely just that, a coincidence?
By PureTapPremium member
On Tue Mar 09, 2010 01:33 AM
I had one of those Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon moments recently, courtesy of DDN!

About 3 or 4 weeks ago, someone came onto the TV/Movie threads and described a movie and asked if anyone knew the name of the movie - it ended up being 'City of Ember'. The movie plot really interested me so I went looking for it to see if I could get it on DVD and I found a couple but they were asking more than I wanted to pay for a movie that was an unknown.

So then I thought, I'll check Foxtel (cable) TV online and see if it just happens to be on there. It was showing on one of the movie channels at 4.10am the following morning, so I taped it!

If I'd read the thread 2 days later, or 3 months before, I probably wouldn't have seen it.

Side note: I'm glad I didn't buy it, it's one of the few movies I've ever come across that I would have classed as a 'stinker' and I really wanted to get that two hour's of my life back again afterwards!!!

But it was definitely a real coincidence that I read that thread, and decided to look it up, and then it just happened to be playing on a movie channel at that particular time! Bizarre...

Cheers
Di
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 09, 2010 07:22 AM
I've definately had many of those things. And I mean many. I couldn't even count how many times stuff like that happened to me.

I'm not sure what else I would say about it. I think it has to be more than coincidence or else I just have A LOT of them.

I'll come back sometime and put together some more of my thoughts...once I have them organized.
By luvxx2xxdancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 25, 2010 03:55 PM
Yea I've had that happen to me a lot... it's really weird and I thought it was just me. Then you posted that article and I'm like, "so that's what it is!" Hahah =]
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Apr 25, 2010 04:16 PM
I have weird stuff like that happen to me all the time. I can think of a person that I haven't seen in years, and then the next day or week or whatever, there they are.

This kind of reminds me of the Law of Attraction where it teaches that things you think about that you sort of "put out into the universe" will appear and work for you. It's a neat theory...

ReplySendWatch