Forum: Advice / Guys Only

Guys Only
Too late?
By Wannaberoy Comments: 4, member since Mon Jun 08, 2009
On Fri Mar 12, 2010 08:30 PM

Hello! I'm currently 17. For the past 2 years I have been watching dancers (since I work for them) and always wanted to be one. I just never knew where to start or if it's too late. How long would it take me to be good? I want to work on a cruise-ship as an entertainer. But if I can get a job as a dancer, it seems like a better route.

But my question is...is it too late to start? I always hear how all these dancers started when they were two (well the good ones). And what would I need to do to start?

I also am pretty uncoordinated and not flexible.

Thanks!!

3 Replies to Too late?

re: Too late?
By pondflyPremium member Comments: 1099, member since Thu Dec 24, 2009
On Sat Mar 13, 2010 05:07 PM
You're never too old, look at the other posts around here. Coordination and flexibility comes in time. I went back to ballet after well over 25 years and after a couple weeks the flexibility started to come slowly, coordination on the other hand is coming but my brain occasionally fights back with the body.
By rmdanceguy1 Comments: 903, member since Sat Nov 19, 2005
On Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:32 PM
No. It is never too late to start dance. First, you need to decide which dance form you are interested. Next, find a studio in your area who will get you into a beginner class to try it to see if you like it. You will find at that point you have a lot of hard work and years of training potentially ahead. This is especially true if you choose ballet. Ballet is very hard, but is very rewarding once you get into it.

How long will it take before you are good? No one can really answer that except you. From my experience, I believe dance is really what you put in is what you get out. I also think the key is what kind of committment you are willing to put toward your training. I would assume getting a job as a paid dancer on a cruise line is tougher than taking some dance lessons and then auditioning. I think a dance role should be on hold until you learn the art. I'm sure you will be going up against people with a lot more training than you.
By luv2plie Comments: 1904, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Sun Mar 14, 2010 01:34 AM
You are NOT too late. Guys can start later in life and still be a great dancer! I am sure if you work hard at it ...you might make it . You just need to dive into dance classes and go for it!

I would highly recommend take ballet at first for a good foundation! Most dance styles uses some form of ballet in it. Ballet will also make your upper body core stronger !

What type of dance classes are you interested in taking?

Keep us posted!

Kev

ReplySendWatch