Forum: General / Homework Help

Survivors Guilt/Mental issues/ Attachment to certain objects.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 09:45 PM
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-03-17 04:26:59 fixed your typo

I was wondering if some people can guide me to a few textbooks/science articles that talk about how stress during childhood effects them as adults?

Basically I read a book called Fugitive Pieces and I am doing a research project for that book.

A boy's sister/parents died and he was the only one that survived. ( this was during a war). When this boy grows up, he is obessed with his sister to the point where he thinks of her during sex..with other females. ( How will Bella ever find me when I am with this strange woman. )

Can someone tell me WHY he has this strange obessesion with the sister he lost when he was a child?

Sources from the internet will work too.

15 Replies to Survivors Guilt/Mental issues/ Attachment to certain objects.

re: Survivors Guilt/Mentall issues/ Attachment to certain objects.
By dancingdawg
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 09:50 PM
Look up stuff on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder coupled with Survivors Guilt, Abnormal Grief Reaction That sounds like a better fit. I have some text books, but they wont be in a library and you do not want to pay 200 bucks a pop for them. PTSD is all over the web though.

Good Luck.
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 09:52 PM
They said I need "scholarly resources...does that mean I can get them from the internet? I have looked up Post tramatic stress....but I can't find very much about how the loss of a sibiling..effects romantic relationships in the future.
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 09:57 PM
I don't know if you find a lot of detail, but I have used this for research papers as a starting point
scholar.google.com
By dancingdawg
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:00 PM
If you live in Georgia you can get on GALILEO and get articles.
Your college might have online journal articles.

If they want scholarly avoid wikipedia, DDN, anywhere where content is publicly amendable and unreferenced.

If you google for stuff on the scholar site it only pulls articles. Anything you think is good write down the date, the author, the title, and the journal and go to your library they might have it there. (If it is an old article they might even have it on microfilm so you can feel like Roger Moore in James Bond haha.)

Georgia is lucky for having Galileo it is an online artice repository that is password protected. You can get to some stuff on a guest log in.

www.galileo.usg.edu . . .

Hope that helps.
By amarathPremium member
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:07 PM
Your school almost certainly subscribes to JSTOR through your library. If you don't know, ask a librarian. JSTOR is my favorite source for academic articles because it's a composition from many different academic journals and all the articles thus fit what you want. You do have to search pretty specifically, but it's my favorite.
By dancingdawg
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:10 PM
Ditto on JSTOR we get it through GALILEO.
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:16 PM
JSTOR does indeed rock. Does your school have access to Academic Search Elite, ProQuest.
And there are also specific ones for Sociology and Psychology, like ERIC , PsychINFO, Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:20 PM
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2010-03-16 22:22:04
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2010-03-16 22:23:39
Ok guys, I will go to my school library tommorow and check out the things that you have mentioned. Is there anything else I should keep in mind for a research paper?
I have done research papers for my biology classes, but this one is for an English class. Should I be taking a more scientific approach to this, or is that a big no no in a non-science related class?

What is that website that helps you form bibliographies? Is "easy bib" a good source for that?

The teacher also said one of our sources can be a "interview" with someone of that field. Do I need someone who has a Ph.D to be required " from the field"?
By amarathPremium member
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:38 PM
A scientific approach is OK, if that's what you feel most comfortable with.

Easybib's usually good, although they're only free for MLA citation. If you did something weird (which you shouldn't, but I've had a couple of teachers who want Chicago or APA even when it was TOTALLY NOT THE RIGHT DISCIPLINE FOR THAT) than Purdue's OWL website is pretty good.

As for interviews, I usually try to avoid them like they're running after me with flamethrowers, but a PhD is definitely qualified, but I'd also think that someone with another higher education certification would also work.
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:28 PM
How do I know if an author is legit in his/her writings? I have found many articles on google, but I am not sure how to prove to my professor that they are a legit author/ knowledgable in the field. Am I suppose to give a bit of background about the author of the articles?

I would ask the professor but this is my first english class in college. ( I only need 1 quarter of it). I bypassed 3 quarters of English by getting AP credit/ testing out of classes. It seems that everyone in the class already knows the answers to the questions I have, so I do not want to slow the class down.

I will be posting more question on this thread, when I come across some issues in my research :)
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 PM
Most journal search engines (like JSTOR) have an option to only retrieve peer-reviewed articles.
By ayyyshugamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:04 AM
PsycINFO would be a good journal search engine to find articles on that...if you can access it through your school library's website.
re: Survivors Guilt/Mental issues/ Attachment to certain objects.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:24 AM
Here's an article from Slate that deals with just that. It's a legitimate source itself, but there are also names of professors at the bottom of the article that contributed to the article. You may search for their names in JSTOR or your university's database, because they may have written about the topic before.

www.slate.com . . .

Dani
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 17, 2010 01:13 PM
jazz_lover wrote:

How do I know if an author is legit in his/her writings? I have found many articles on google, but I am not sure how to prove to my professor that they are a legit author/ knowledgable in the field. Am I suppose to give a bit of background about the author of the articles?

I would ask the professor but this is my first english class in college. ( I only need 1 quarter of it). I bypassed 3 quarters of English by getting AP credit/ testing out of classes. It seems that everyone in the class already knows the answers to the questions I have, so I do not want to slow the class down.

I will be posting more question on this thread, when I come across some issues in my research :)

If you get a professor that's as hard to please as my Comp II professor was, that's also going to be a little bit at their discretion. I did a paper that was on the failure of abstinence only sex education, cited a researcher that did a study on the failure of abstinence only sex education (he researches sex. It's all he does), and she docked me because it wasn't a primary source - and I quoted right from his study findings. :/
On Wed Mar 17, 2010 01:17 PM
Edited by jazz_lover (99333) on 2010-03-17 13:18:14
Thank you guys all for your advice. I am actually in the school library right now getting some help. T, what did you professor mean by "primary source"? I will keep my eyes open for "primary sources", thank you so much for bringing that to my attention! I found a medical journal talking about survivors guilt, in my library. Would that be considered a primary source? There are different subjects in the journal, but I found an article written by someone with Ph.D in that field.

ReplySendWatch