Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

I want to tryout for my school's dance team but I'm not sure would I should do to prepare!
By MeghanD
On Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:28 PM

My school is getting ready to have tryouts for the dance team in about a month. Its only the second year and it's the 1st for having an actual danceline. It will be having a true danceline in the fall at the football games and doing a more hip-hop style during basketball season.
I really want to tryout but I don't have much dance background. I've been stretching and can get my kicks pretty high now but what else should I be doing to get ready? Any advice would be great!!

3 Replies to I want to tryout for my school's dance team but I'm not sure would I should do to prepare!

re: I want to tryout for my school's dance team but I'm not sure would I should do to prepare!
By ChristinePremium member
On Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:41 PM
Keep stretching.

Smile.

Wear appropriate clothing. Basic black dance pants and a form fitting top or leo should be good enough for school.

Appropriate footwear.

Show up on time.
Don't chatter back stage.
Be sure to say a friendly "hello" to the judges" and thank them for their time after your audition.

Most of all...relax and think about how much you love dancing..

Good luck.

Keep On Dancing
xoxo
re: I want to tryout for my school's dance team but I'm not sure would I should do to prepare!
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 21, 2010 02:34 AM
^Those are all good general tips. Just don't suck up to the judges too much. I have cut decent dancers for being too pushy.

But why don't you ask the team sponsor what skills you'll need to audition. She probably has a good idea of what will be required, and it's a completely fair question to ask her. Or ask one of the dancers what they had to do last year. But it's impossible for us to give you specific advice because every team is different.
By kicklinequeenmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun May 02, 2010 10:39 AM
Well, every dance team is different, but I can give you a few general tips. I agree with the people who said be nice and respectful to the judges; make sure you say hello, introduce yourself, and thank them!

These are the skills I needed for my high school dance team tryouts, but your team's requirements may be different:

-Pirouettes (Doubles/Triples)
-Leaps (Right and Left)
-Calypsos
-Russian (side) Leaps
-Toe Touches
-Herkies (Right and Left)
-A la secondes
-Fouettes
-Kicks

You may also be taught a dance, many schools do 4 8-counts Jazz, 4 8-counts Pom, and 4 8-counts Hip Hop, but this will vary from team to team.

Make sure to SMILE and have fun!

ReplySendWatch