Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Picking a leotard?
By balletboypdx
On Fri Mar 19, 2010 04:44 PM

I am going to be in a show and one possible costume option is to have me wear a leotard with jazz pants. I don't even know if guys typically WEAR leos (in class I wear workout shorts and a tshirt . . . I thought I've seen that there are ballet shirts most guys wear) . . . and, if it's something you are supposed to try on in the store, if you can take it home and try it on . . .

Any advice? Thoughts?

7 Replies to Picking a leotard?

re: Picking a leotard?
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Mar 19, 2010 06:53 PM
The world is larger than our immediate experience. Here's Ted Shaw (early founder of Jacob's Pillow and modern dance pioneer) wearing a white leotard while teaching class. And he put on plenty of shows in which his "dancing men" wore just a leotard as costume.

You might not find very many appropriate leotards in the store. Most are made for non-flat chests. But the most basic tank, cap-sleeve or long sleeve versions will generally work.

If you want to try stuff on at home, easiest way is to order a bunch of stuff mail-order, try it on, and then return the stuff you don't want. But the dance stores should have no problem with you trying stuff on there (although they may not have very much in the size and styles you're looking for).
By dancingdawg
On Fri Mar 19, 2010 07:17 PM
onstagedancewear.com has some you can order with a full seat and some with a thong back. You can get them made to order, or buy the pants and the leo made from the same material.

I don't anywhere else to buy a leo that is not thong back.
By Howtofallover
On Fri Mar 19, 2010 07:35 PM
Edited by Howtofallover (214913) on 2010-03-19 19:38:24 My failure to read posts properly :P
Yeah agree that the only way to go is thong back, looks more than a little odd otherwise!

In terms of sourcing one, I've found ebay actually has a number of good suppliers (.co.uk version anyways). Options tend to be white, black, blue or occasionally grey.

Hope that helps.

*edit* having re-read previous post... full seat ok with jazz pants. But in my opinion probably more worth getting a thong back as means that should you ever want to wear it under tights you can.
By dancingdawg
On Fri Mar 19, 2010 07:46 PM
The reason I suggested onstagedancewear.com is that it has a large made to order department, so you can get any color or fabric you want.

I do agree with Howtofallover in that especially for a performance, go with the thong back. It won't give you panty lines.

On that note, my leo came before my dance belt, and wearing the leo without was immensely more uncomfortable.
By balletboypdx
On Fri Mar 19, 2010 07:52 PM
Can you have lines if you are wearing a leo under jazz pants? Don't know if the leo is thin enough and the pants thick enough that it would be an issue
By jocknballettight
On Sat Mar 20, 2010 05:51 AM
HI
I just bought great leotard thong back made by M STEVENS the color is gray and very comfortable.. YEAH of course you want a guys leo without the extra padding made for women's chest...a leotard witgh a thong back is more flattering especially if worn under tights.
I bought this on online you can also try EBAY for leos as well..
By stormshadow
On Mon Mar 29, 2010 03:24 PM
Bloch makes a really good leo that has a full seat and a full inner lining. While I don't recommend that one for performances or whatnot (the above M Stevens is the perfect one for that) it's still great for practice as it will absorb a lot of sweat. What I would do is go to a local dance store that has very knowledgeable staff and tell them exactly what you need. They typically have huge catalogs of stuff they can order and usually have it in a matter of a few days for you.

ReplySendWatch