Forum: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Old school
By dancer_boi08
On Sun Mar 21, 2010 06:57 PM

Does anyones studio that teachs men and/or buys ballet, have classes with the guys in their dance belt or short shorts and no shirt. One of my teachers told me thats how his old studio would do that and he said it really helped them learn their bodies individuals and how to use it better. I know that you can learn how to use the body with tights and stuffon but i think this is a pretty interesting way of learning ballet.

I actually tryed it in my restroom mirror and I did notice alot of things that I could fix and I praticed them and now there is a very big differnece.

Does anyone studio teach men like this, do you agree with it or think its crazy?

3 Replies to Old school

re: Old school
By luv2plie
On Sun Mar 21, 2010 08:12 PM
At my studio....the guys wear a white shirt, black tights, a dance belt, white socks and white ballet shoes.

Kev
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 22, 2010 07:48 AM
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2010-03-22 07:49:36
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2010-03-22 07:56:52
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2010-03-22 07:57:50
I have come to believe that the clothing typically worn by men for ballet training really does hinder the training in subtle ways. It's often things you're not aware of, until you try something else.

If you're wearing a T-shirt: when you bend over, you will do so in such a way to prevent your shirt from falling up.

If you're wearing heavy tights over (or without) a leotard: you avoid really keeping your core (abs) together and really lifting up, because that will cause your tights to fall down.

If you have anything between your legs (or partially fallen-down tights): you will have a harder time really getting a good fifth position, tendu, batterie, etc, which is all about crossing your legs at the very top.

If you're wearing heavy socks (anything heavier than nylon tights), it makes it harder to really work your feet well.

Wearing just shorts without shirt or leotard certainly solves these problems. Try it a couple of times, see if you can experience the difference for yourself. (And while you're at it, practice sideways to the mirror, not facing the mirror; then you REALLY see what you need to work on).

I think the stumbling block here is that men in our society are not expected/supposed to expose their bodies (not to mention homophobia associated with exposed male flesh). But in the end, that's what ballet is all about (unless you just want to be a good partner): it's about approaching your body objectively. That is why leotard and tights is standard for women. It's so hard to get boys into the studio in the first place, I see today's "standard" outfit for men as a concession to the social norm. But just because T-shirts make men (and women too) feel less exposed does not mean that they improve dance training; quite the opposite, in fact.

By tybalt
On Fri Mar 26, 2010 01:52 AM
To underline your issue I add a pic which might not be just as old as yours. Dresscode may vary depending what you are going to train or rehearse.

ReplySendWatch