Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

baby oil
By hulahips612
On Thu Mar 25, 2010 02:33 PM

During big performances we always lather on a bunch of baby oil but I never thought to ask why...

What is the purpose of the baby oil? Thank you!

5 Replies to baby oil

re: baby oil
By schuhplattlerPremium member
On Mon Mar 29, 2010 08:19 PM
Please be specific re. brand names. Most baby oils contain more artificial fragrances than they exclude, and if you use such a brand, I would not want to be in the same room.
By hulahips612
On Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:05 AM
Actually I was just wondering what the purpose of putting on baby oil when doing Polynesian dances was...not about a particular brand. I noticed a lot of baby oil is used particularly in Samoan dancing..could anybody tell me the purpose? Thanks!
By ohanaPremium member
On Fri Apr 02, 2010 08:41 PM
From my past experiences, it's probably to make the skin look more attractive and to accentuate muscles, especially for the men. They do something similar for bodybuilding contests.
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:28 PM
Also when you go to perform nobody wants to see ashy knees/elbows, lol! Oil makes the skin look good and accentuates its natural beauty while providing moisture. My kumu in Hawaii likes to use stuff on herself with monoi for solo performances (you know, the tourist set), but it's expensive so baby oil is an inexpensive alternative for when you're going to perform but you've got a bunch of girls that need to get oiled to go dance.
By tahitiandancr405
On Fri May 28, 2010 09:49 AM
It's to accent your skin by reflecting the light.

ReplySendWatch