Forum: General / Tap / Clogging

Clogging
Bounce vs Hop
By slofoot Comments: 1, member since Tue Apr 06, 2010
On Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:29 AM

I have been trying to figure out the difference between a Bounce and a Hop. Discriptions are almost identical (except for Hop being a Contemporary Clogging term while Bounce is a Buck Style Clogging term.) So, on a specific and detailed level, what's the difference? I once thought is was a matter of timing - a Bounce being 1/8 count while a hop was 1/4 count but this does not fit the many steps I know which use the term Bounce. I have tried to pick the brains of teachers I am in contact with, but not only did this fail but they eventually began to contradict their own earlier comments.

Help! If you can reference an on-line-video it might help, but specific comments would still be needed.
Slofoot

1 Replies to Bounce vs Hop

re: Bounce vs Hop
By ShadowLunaCatPremium member Comments: 8820, member since Sun Sep 12, 2004
On Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:52 AM
Do you have some choreography that has a "bounce" in it??

Somehow I have this feeling that with a "bounce" the foot is flat on the floor, whereas, with a hop, there is separation between foot and surface.

Does that make any sense.

maybe this helps:

Ira has some bouncing in here.. but, he also has some hops.

vimeo.com . . .
re: Bounce vs Hop
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Mar 14, 2016 08:45 PM
I'll try to make sense out of this with words. Here goes nothing. They essentially are the same. But if I'm cueing a HOP, I want the action of being in the air, versus if I'm cueing a bounce, I want the sound of them coming off the ground, and then coming back down.

ReplySendWatch