Forum: Advice / Cars & Driving

stupid eejit I am bought a 2 door car last year, need something family friendly
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:41 AM

I love my little 2 door yellow chevy cobalt. She's a purdy little car... but this just it she is little.

The trunk has a postage stamp sized opening, I would be able to get a stroller in but barely. Not to mention the joys of getting a car seat in and out of a 2 door car.

I'm currently financing my car (at a freaking uber high interest rate 8.5%).

I'm going to get screwed over using my car as a trade in that is a given.

I'm looking into either the dodge journey or the dodge caravan (basically will be going with whatever is cheapest).

I'm not willing to do a small car even with 4 doors, not fighting with things.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

16 Replies to stupid eejit I am bought a 2 door car last year, need something family friendly

re: stupid eejit I am bought a 2 door car last year, need something family friendly
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:59 AM
I don't have a ton of advice, but I can commiserate. I bought a Ford Mustang less than 2 months before I found out I was pregnant. We actually have kept the car and only VERY recently bought a sedan because our mustang just COULDN'T accommodate 2 carseats. A carseat with a 2-door works, but you do have to get a bit creative and develop a system for getting the seat in and out of the car. I guess what I'm saying is that, even if it's not ideal, it's doable if needs be :)
re: stupid eejit I am bought a 2 door car last year, need something family friendly
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:05 AM
I did a baby in a Sunfire. Between the carseat and the stroller it pretty much rendered my back seat useless, but you can do it. You've got bigger financial priorities right now than a new car anyway...
By lildancergirl22
On Thu Apr 15, 2010 01:20 PM
Have you actually tried getting a carseat in?

When i was little my parents had a tiny 2-door honda civic and they actually found it easier to get the car seat in the back because the front seat moved forward and they were able to get "more into" the car, if that makes any sense.
By JustDancing4Fun
On Thu Apr 15, 2010 01:22 PM
I would personally go with a van. Because I have back issues, I can't twist while putting in a carseat or putting a child in a carseat. A van lets me step into it while holding onto the child. I know there is a Dodge Caravan where the seats turn out; they're more expensive, but I'm sure you can find something second hand?

Good luck!
By pondflyPremium member
On Thu Apr 15, 2010 02:14 PM
My sister just purchased a Dodge Caliber and they can fit both car seats in well and has plenty of room for the size of the vehicle.
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Apr 15, 2010 04:38 PM
Gee, golly! I would never be caught dead driving a mini van. I'm an SUV girl through and through. And if I may comment on Dodge - they're typically a rough ride and very bad on gas. I've driven a few models, some more than others, including my boyfriend's Ram 1500.

Here are some less expensive (under 30k brand new, some under 20k) vehicles with more room for you and peanut.

Hyundai:
Santa Fe
Tuscon
Veracruz

Kia:
Sportage
Sorrento

Ford:
Edge
Escape

Mazda:
Tribute
CX-7

Nissan:
Rouge
Xterra

Chevy:
Equinox

Toyota:
Rav 4
Highlander

Jeep:
Compass
Liberty
Patriot

Honda:
Pilot
CR-V

That's what I've got off the top of my head. I'm a bit of a car nerd (and have driven far too many), so if you have any particular questions, shoot em my way.
On Thu Apr 15, 2010 07:16 PM
Really in the scheme of things my car payments aren't going to change horribly.

I'm looking for something newer and more affordable, so unfortunately some of the above suggestions aren't going to work right now.

I really don't care too much if I'm going to be driving a mini van or not, I learned how to drive in my moms dodge caravan, and got rather used to driving it.

I know if absolute worst comes to absolute worst I can suck it up and keep the cobalt. My friend baby sat her nephew a few weeks ago (she had him for the week) and had a heck of a time with the car seat in a 4 door cobalt, the stroller ended up in the back seat as it wouldn't fit in the trunk. That isn't an option. I know that there are strollers that will fit in there, but I don't want to have to fight with it every time that I need to get it in or out.

The other thing that I am thinking is that the sliding doors on the caravan would make things a little easier for getting things in and out, if some idiot parks beside me a little too close at least I can still open the back door. I've gotten to be a bit of a bisnatch lately and I typically just open my door however I feel if someone parks obnoxiously close.

I was thinking of looking at the santa fe, might go check that one out.
On Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:55 PM
Some of those vehicles are a lot cheaper than you'd think!
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:01 PM
Edited by webstAr (54294) on 2010-04-15 23:01:47
Theresa wrote:

I did a baby in a Sunfire.

Wow! My boyfriend can barely fit in my Sunfire! :P

/Hijack :)
On Fri Apr 16, 2010 08:29 AM
My husband barely fits in my cobalt... LOL... If we were to go away for a weekend I don't know where everything would go.

I've been looking at some of those cars... the jeeps aren't that expensive (or aren't as bad as I thought they would be), but I find jeeps to be a rough ride (I've test driven a liberty in the past, and driven my moms cherokee).
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 16, 2010 09:09 AM
I, too, don't really think you need a new car, but if you submit to car fever, do NOT trade in your car. Trading in your vehicle will give you the lowest possible price, and you (obviously) want as much money as you can get on it. Selling it for cash to an individual buyer will bring you the best value. Even if you only break even on the loan payoff, it's better than rolling in additional debt to your car payment and being upside-down before you even drive off the lot. This gets a LOT of people in trouble--they end up having a $20,000 loan on a car that's only worth $15k, for example. Get in an accident and total the car, and you're still on the hook for $5,000 for a car you don't even own anymore.

Dani
On Fri Apr 16, 2010 09:22 AM
If I'm going to get royally screwed over, than I won't be getting a new car.

I'm going to see what the dealer that we have dealt with for 25 years has to say. I sent him all the financing information on my car, and we will see.

I don't know how I ended up paying as high an interest rate on that car as I did though.
On Fri Apr 16, 2010 01:28 PM
Older model SUVs and trucks do ride rough. For instance, my boyfriends 97 Jeep Cherokee (he has 3 vehicles) is definitely what I consider to be a rough ride, much like his 97 Dodge Ram. However, I own a 2006 Jeep Cherokee and it rides great. My mother, who has always driven sporty sedans said it rides smooth like a car, and she has spent many a hour in my Jeep with me as a passenger and driver. My boyfriend's newest truck, a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ drives like a Mercedes. Smoothest ride ever!

Test drive test drive test drive!
re: stupid eejit I am bought a 2 door car last year, need something family friendly (karma: 1)
By kandykanePremium member
On Fri Apr 16, 2010 01:55 PM
Edited by kandykane (157761) on 2010-04-16 13:59:21
I did a baby in a 1982 Datsun (pre-Nissan) 200 SX. Tight fit, but it worked. I got a small stroller (along with a large "cadillac" stoller) just for putting in the little car. Baby was about a year old when I finally got a small sedan, it was much easier to work with. But NO minivans for this chick! Never!

EDIT: By the way, I'd totally buy your Cobalt!

kk~
By RAID_Babemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 10, 2010 04:37 AM
Try a Chrysler Grand Voyage...they have 7 seats, so good for the kids. We have one, which is good, because we have half of the poor thing, filled with dance stuff, soccer stuff and all that. Second hand one would be, obviously, more economic. A brand new one costs (here), like $70, 000. I think we got ours second hand, for $32, 000...not too cheap, but better than brand new. Good luck!
On Mon May 10, 2010 09:02 AM
I've definately decided that I'm not getting a new car anytime soon as I will be getting screwed over royally in the process. Yet for some reason hubby still seems to think that we absolutely have to get a new car.

The Grand Voyager and the Caravan are the same car as far as I remember. We don't have the voyager anymore as it has been replaced excusively by the caravan.

ReplySendWatch