Forum: Competitions

TTB Don't Do It!!!!!
By DanceWith8Count
On Sat Apr 17, 2010 08:21 PM

Just a word of warning. . .

And it really is MY fault- because I was warned about Ticket to Broadway, but we already had our fees in- so I decided to try it.

We only took 5 numbers because girls had conflicts and such. . .

- The backstage boys were in high school- and were fraternizing with all of the teenage girls from the big studio that was there.

- The director was very clearly biased with several studios that brough in lots of $$ in entries.

- The scoring was inconsistant and really. . . really. . . strange. My girls scored good, BUT in comparison to other numbers- it made NO sense. They did not allow judges to watch awards. . . strangeeee

- All they did during awards was plug their nationals- which we will NOT EVER be attending. It was absurd how much they talked about it.

- The director was stand-off-ish. I'm guessing because we only brought 5 entries. . .

NEVER EVER EVER EVER AGAIN TTB!
Save your $$ and don't go. . .

19 Replies to TTB Don't Do It!!!!!

re: TTB Don't Do It!!!!!
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Sat Apr 17, 2010 08:48 PM
Well, as I have said, from another point of view, I can say that I have no respect for them because it is obvious it is all about making the big schools happy to return. Not having the judges watch was odd because I have never been made to do that. Why HIDE the awards from the judges?

Seeing an act, that you know that all of the judges scored low, walking around with high awards is very "fishy" for sure.
By NJDance
On Sun Apr 18, 2010 05:34 PM
I will never do TTB again either. We had dealt with them for years but last year was my final straw. I posted about it here on DDN... never again!
By DanceWith8Count
On Sun Apr 18, 2010 05:56 PM
Just want to add. . . we just got home from the Sunday evening show. . .

1. Our judges scores were in PENCIL with eraser marks on the score sheets. . . SERIOUSLY?!?!

2. There was a very large studio there and the older girls were getting piggy back rides from the stage managers (young boys)- the backstage men were also giving back rubs to girls in skimpy costumes. . . I was furious.

3. I left and my cd had no judges comments on it- once I got it all fixed- the comments from the judges did not match the scores- AT ALL. . . .

We are furious and I have parents who are SO upset that they give this awful company any of their money.

I can't WAIT to write my complaint letter.
By adancer5551
On Sun Apr 18, 2010 06:14 PM
I went there last year and we did not like it either. We went to Headliners last weekend and I thought it was great, if you haven't tried it you should consider it. Instead of giving hand written critiques they sent us DVD critiques 4 days after the comp. I thought it was the smartest thing ever, the judges never take their eyes of the dancers and you really know exactly what they are talking about because you are watching the routine while the judges speak.
On Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:21 PM
I love Headliners and wish that they would come closer to us.

All I can say is that the two times that I judged for the other one, quite a few years back (and they actually tried to lie to say that I had not, but I still have the programs with me listed in them), let us just say that after a speech that they gave us judges, that I chose to write in red pen (they gave us pencils), which cannot be erased, nor whited out (it shows) as I was going to be damned if they were going to change MY scores.
re: TTB Don't Do It!!!!! (karma: 1)
By DanceTumbleCheer
On Mon May 03, 2010 11:54 AM
We went this weekend and they are dishonest, sick sick people.
On Mon May 03, 2010 12:30 PM
DanceTumbleCheer wrote:

We went this weekend and they are dishonest, sick sick people.

Well, that is it in a nutshell.
By dancteach181
On Mon May 03, 2010 09:33 PM
First off I have been attending the Ticket to Broadway competition for that last 7 years.... I have had chance to be a competitor and a choreographer. I have also been with several different studios through out the years and it didn't matter how many numbers we brought we were treated like all the rest of the dance studios.

As for the Director being stand-off-ish ... I don't think Karen could be stand-off=ish if she was trying....

As far as NOT allowing the judges to watch awards that is the most bazaar thing that i have ever heard of!!!! Did you ever stop to think that the judges might not watch the awards because that time is there only break to use the bathroom/eat/or make a phone call??????

As far as Nationals go they try to get dancers excited for it and if you have been then you would see why! Every Competition that has a Nationals is going to bring it up at awards!!!!

I am sorry that you feel it was a bad experience but I have had nothing but positive experiences with TTB in Delaware!
By NJDance
On Tue May 04, 2010 05:54 AM
^^^ We had a HORRIBLE experience at their nationals last year... just saying!
re: TTB Don't Do It!!!!! (karma: 2)
By avandy83
On Tue May 04, 2010 06:46 AM
dancteach181 wrote:

First off I have been attending the Ticket to Broadway competition for that last 7 years.... I have had chance to be a competitor and a choreographer. I have also been with several different studios through out the years and it didn't matter how many numbers we brought we were treated like all the rest of the dance studios.

As for the Director being stand-off-ish ... I don't think Karen could be stand-off=ish if she was trying....

As far as NOT allowing the judges to watch awards that is the most bazaar thing that i have ever heard of!!!! Did you ever stop to think that the judges might not watch the awards because that time is there only break to use the bathroom/eat/or make a phone call??????

As far as Nationals go they try to get dancers excited for it and if you have been then you would see why! Every Competition that has a Nationals is going to bring it up at awards!!!!

I am sorry that you feel it was a bad experience but I have had nothing but positive experiences with TTB in Delaware!

Okay, I just want to chime in and bring to everyone's attention that danceteach181 joined and posted this comment in the same day, and that's their only comment on here. Lord, when will people learn? This has happened before...if you join and comment ONLY to defend a company others are unhappy with, it's so obvious why.
re: TTB Don't Do It!!!!! (karma: 1)
By i_am_me
On Tue May 04, 2010 07:12 AM
^^^ Exactly.

I'm reading this thread and notice there is one poster that sings praises of a Comp that everyone seems to have had a horrible experience with. Actually calls the owner by name. Nice touch.

Then, of course, I check how many comments the poster has and how well established/trusted they are in the ddn community.

ONE COMMENT...yes people, this contributor has ONE comment. It's the "damage control" post meant to "undo" what is clearly true.

That is the lamest attempt ever and should make EVERYONE who reads the posts 1,000 times more suspicious of this Comp.
re: TTB Don't Do It!!!!! (karma: 4)
By hummingbird
On Tue May 04, 2010 08:54 AM
dancteach181 wrote:

As far as NOT allowing the judges to watch awards that is the most bazaar thing that i have ever heard of!!!!

Do they sell cakes at their Bazaar? Have a raffle? Bran Tub?

I like Bazaars.

I think you might have meant Bizarre not Bazaar but then I think people would have more fun at a Bazaar than your competition.
By avandy83
On Tue May 04, 2010 09:08 AM
hummingbird wrote:

dancteach181 wrote:

As far as NOT allowing the judges to watch awards that is the most bazaar thing that i have ever heard of!!!!

Do they sell cakes at their Bazaar? Have a raffle? Bran Tub?

I like Bazaars.

I think you might have meant Bizarre not Bazaar but then I think people would have more fun at a Bazaar than your competition.

I truly just Laughed out loud! That was hilarious!
On Tue May 04, 2010 09:21 AM
NJDance wrote:

^^^ We had a HORRIBLE experience at their nationals last year... just saying!

Uh, you must be Karen, or one of the other TTB people, because we know that this was your ONLY post and you have been reported. As far at the judges not watching, they were told NOT to watch by the owners and put in a room away from the awards.

Liar, liar pants on fire!
By i_am_me
On Tue May 04, 2010 09:46 AM
So what we have here is Dream Chaser with SEVENTEEN THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED AND FORTY SIX posts to date...no, that's not hyperbole, that's her actual posts...loved and respected poster...member since 2001.

She's actually BEEN a judge for them and knows the behind the scenes skinny.

Then we have...

dancteach181 Comments: 1, member since Mon May 03, 2010

ummmm...Bob, I'm gonna go with door number one "Dream Chaser" for five hundred on this one.
By thadancer
On Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:16 PM
So glad to hear honest opinions about dance comps on the board.
By OkinawaDancing
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 03:01 AM
i_am_me wrote:

So what we have here is Dream Chaser with SEVENTEEN THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED AND FORTY SIX posts to date...no, that's not hyperbole, that's her actual posts...loved and respected poster...member since 2001.

She's actually BEEN a judge for them and knows the behind the scenes skinny.

Then we have...

dancteach181 Comments: 1, member since Mon May 03, 2010

ummmm...Bob, I'm gonna go with door number one "Dream Chaser" for five hundred on this one.

lol
you kill me. . .

Well I have never had the (dis)pleasure of doing this competition system but I had done others like it and frankly it makes me sick. Goes to show you that there are still people out there who are just want to make a buck.
On Mon Jun 21, 2010 05:50 PM
Do not want to say anything, but a relative of my husband does some work for her, the owner. He or she says, "She does not like you very much." Ugh, you think? LOL
By pointeprincessSDmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jun 23, 2010 02:54 PM
Aw, man! I was actually looking into this! Thank you for the info! It's greatly appreciated!

ReplySendWatch