Poll: Arts / Religion

Page:
Page 2 of 21 2
re: What is you religion...and does it make a difference in ID or even society?
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Sun May 02, 2010 02:15 PM
Edited by Krystal (73000) on 2010-05-02 14:16:38
I'm a Christian (I guess). I mean, that's the label I would put on myself if I had to slap one on. I'm not any religion, I just have a deep, personal relationship with Jesus Christ. He can't be placed in a box and I shouldn't put my faith in one either.

I go to a non-denominational Full Gospel church where my husband is the youth pastor and it's really been eye opening since I've been going there full-time (since April '09). If any person who isn't used to our church walked in they might be a little surprised. We raise our hands, pray out loud, lay hands on each other, stuff like that. Took me forever to get used to, and it's still really different from what I'm used to.

My faith doesn't really affect me in the real world...I've never had anyone not want to be friends with me or hang out because of what I believe. I don't talk down to people or force them to believe something they don't want to believe, I just do my best and treat them how Jesus would treat them.

There's a member on here (don't know if she would want to be named) who FB messaged me with her long religious history and some questions and wanted to know about my beliefs while she was doing some soul-seeking. She said something to me along the lines of 'You are exactly the type of Christian I would want to be' and that really has stuck with me since then. That basically sums up how I try to live.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Sun May 02, 2010 04:37 PM
Krystal wrote:

There's a member on here (don't know if she would want to be named) who FB messaged me with her long religious history and some questions and wanted to know about my beliefs while she was doing some soul-seeking. She said something to me along the lines of 'You are exactly the type of Christian I would want to be' and that really has stuck with me since then. That basically sums up how I try to live.

Since I think Krystal is so fantastic, I'll proudly admit that was me and she helped me more than she probably knows. If all "Christians" (I use the term loosely, since so many so-called christians use the church as a social ladder and a way to hide behind their prejudices) took a page out of her book, the world would be a better place.

I spent this last semester taking World Philosophy and learning about all sorts of different religious world views. My professor knows the founder of the local american buddhist center, who used to be a Methodist minister. He is a firm believer that people of all religions need to study the ways of people like Jesus and the Buddha. Generally speaking, the founders of religions had great ideas. It's their followers who royally screw it up.
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Sun May 02, 2010 05:13 PM
I agree with you there. The ideals behind the religions are good, which ever religion we are talking about, but the followers read into it what they want and corrupt it. I would love to learn more about other religions, especially training to be a nurse, as I think we can learn a lot about people from their ideas and beliefs and how this will impact health and health beliefs.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Mon May 03, 2010 09:51 AM
^That's what I think helps me so much in my own personal relationship with Jesus and relating to other people. It's because I take the time to know where they're coming from, knowing enough about their religion and belief system before I start comparing, that sort of deal. If more people understood others and why they believe what they do I think there would be a lot less problems with people relating to others who don't believe what they do.
By djcharamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 967, member since Mon Jan 11, 2010
On Thu May 06, 2010 02:08 PM
I am in high school and an irish dancer, and I have not quite worked out what religion I am yet- I believe that there is a God but that's about as for as I've gotten. But I come from a VERY religious christian family and that has a huge impact on my life and on irish dance in particular. Barring majors, I am not allowed to compete on sundays. ever. As you might guess, this cuts the amount of competitions I can do by about a half. Also, the harder I work at dance, and if I start asking about more dance classes, my parents think it is sinful to be too distracted by anthing besides god, and they say I need to get my priorities straight. The thing is, I do have my priorities straight. It's just that my priorities do not match theirs. If being such a strict christian stops me from following my dreams and doing what I am passionate about, that is not the sort of person I want to be.
So basically, the minute I get out of high school, dance is not going to be affected by my religion. But for now, I guess that is how it has to be.
:/
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Tue May 18, 2010 09:17 PM
Edited by Reidfidleir (74759) on 2010-05-18 21:18:02
I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is my identity. It is who I am, not just a reflection of what I believe in.
And yes, I do think it affects my health- quite positively :D
And as far as the Irish dance world? For a simple answer: yes.

Justine

ps- I voted other.
re: What is you religion...and does it make a difference in ID or even society? (karma: 1)
By Ballerina_Bellemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 106, member since Sat May 31, 2008
On Sun May 30, 2010 07:27 PM
Edited by Ballerina_Belle (196993) on 2010-05-30 19:28:59
I am LDS or Mormon and I live in Salt Lake City and since the gereral population is LDS I think it has a huge effect on our society. My community in gerneral lives by the same standards and morals, which can be awesome or it can seem intolerate, depending if you are not Mormon or don't agree with the values.
As for my identity If I go out of state and say I am Mormon there are tons of prejudices and misconceptions about my religion(modesty, dating, marriage etc.). Example: "Mormons don't drink soda", Which is a total misconception. Abstaining from alcohol or caffine is a life choice, encouraged by my church because it is a healthy choice.
My church is not just a belief system it is a life style. That is why I am different and my community is different because you can't just believe in my church you have to live it. So that alone creates a different enviornment, that either works for you or it doesn't. I wouldn't be the same person I am and my community around me wouldn't be the same.
By rosalinde Comments: 1973, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Sun Jun 13, 2010 09:32 AM
I grew up catholic, but not very strongly so. My mother lapsed, but my father was still fairly committed and we went to a special children's service every fortnight (my brothers and I got to choose whether we still wanted to go after age 12). I was baptised and did my Communion, but not my Confirmation.

I'd like to think of myself as a Believer In Mankind Based On Christian Values. ;)
By madseasonPremium member Comments: 1975, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Thu Jun 24, 2010 04:30 PM
I am Baha'i.

I believe that my religion makes a positive difference in society because the core beliefs of the Baha'i faith are rooted in equality of all people regardless of gender, race or religion. We are all unified and the unity of humankind is essential in Baha'i. Baha'i also believe in the individual pursuit of spirituality. Therefore- no one tells me what to think, say, do or feel. My interpretation of the Bible or any spiritual text is just as valid as anyone else. This means that my core beliefs (for example: that homosexuality is NOT wrong, women are equal to men and the earth is sacred) are not thrown out the window because another person reads the book differently. We all seek faith that is right for us and makes us feel at peace and close to God. Prejudice is not a part of the Baha'i faith and I think that benefits society.

Regarding my health- As a Baha'i, I do not drink alcohol or take drugs (unless prescribed by a doctor.) I also do not believe in wasting food or eating food that is detrimental to the people I share this earth with so I limit my intake of meat and only eat locally grown food. The longer it has to travel- the more pollution it causes. I try my best to eat well and not be wasteful or greedy. I also meditate regularly and I feel this has made me a healthier, less stressed person. Overall, I think my faith has made me a happier person. :D
By TheatreDanceNerd Comments: 128, member since Mon Mar 26, 2012
On Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:55 AM
None of the above....basically Protestant, but I didn't pick that, because I don't agree with any of the religions mentioned in that. I'm mainly Baptist, and the church I'm going to currently is mainly part of the "Young, Restless, Reformed" thing, and to give you an example (you may not recognize any of these names), the pastors I enjoy listening to are John Piper, Al Mohler, Kevin DeYoung, Mark Dever, Matt Chandler, Ligon Duncan, etc. There was recently a conference called Together for the Gospel that many people I know went to. It's rather tricky for me to explain everything that I believe, so I'm just saying those names and that I'm mainly a Baptist, and if you're REALLY curious, look it up!
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Thu May 03, 2012 09:07 PM
I don't dance Irish, I dance Jazz. I am a Catholic and went to Catholic school for 10 years (K-8 & stayed back in 4th grade). I still live in my town and I still go to the same church I was baptized, made my first holy communion in and my confirmation in. I love my church, my religion, and my Lord and Savior and am not afraid to talk to people about it. The Lord is in my heart and I know where I am going when it's my time to leave this earth. God has helped me in many ways and I love him.
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3627, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Thu May 03, 2012 10:05 PM
Denominationally I'm a Unitarian/Universalist. When it comes to practical values, the closest label that fits is Humanist. Theologically I'm an agnostic; however I tend to slop over into transcendentalism, especially on camping trips. Although some people classify UUs as "Protestant" because the church originated out of the faiths that split off from Catholicism during the Reformation, that's not an appropriate classification today. So I voted "Other".

I'm a rarity in that I grew up going to a Unitarian church whereas most people land there as adults having left (or sometimes also keeping) a different religion. My ancestors came from various Protestant religions; so I think of Christmas and Easter as holidays.

My beliefs have not affected me directly in ballet or the general dance world nor to any extent in the wider world. Indirectly, I'm sure I've gravitated to people and organizations who are relatively liberal and tolerant of others' beliefs.

As for health -- my beliefs have no prohibitions or requirements that directly affect my health for better or for worse. Though perhaps UUs emphasis on being responsible for your own search for truth and personal/spiritual development has also encouraged a reasonably healthy lifestyle.
By OverTheBridge Comments: 190, member since Sun May 22, 2011
On Mon Jun 25, 2012 09:42 PM
I am a Methodist, but I prefer to say that I am a Christian. i;m not big on denominations.

Religion has had a big effect on my Irish dancing in that I NEED God to help me through it. Irish dancing has made me feel closer to God. An example of this is that when I am going through a slump, I have to trust that God will help me through it. I compete on Sundays, but I always try to make up the lost church time at home.
By popergerm Comments: 760, member since Tue Apr 26, 2005
On Fri Jun 29, 2012 07:12 AM
I am a catholic that trys to follow the old rite, I prefer the eternal form of the mass in latin, it makes a big differance in how I eat on certain times of the week no meat on fridays but fish or vegetarian, and fasting 12 days out of the year the embertides around certain very important holydays.

I dance for God and for the purpose to entertain others in a hip hop way minus the suggestive moves, The way of christianity for me, is a way of life everyday one has to take up their crosses and sufferings and bring to bare, as we see it. the churches in communion with Rome of the differant rites of the catholic church are the first and true christian church.
However God is all knowing and full of mercy so we belive he will give people the benefit of the doubt for protestents and other christians that were never exposed to what we belive, which is ordained by the Holy Spirit through the clergy of the church by the role they fill as bishops and priests, and it is the Spirit that enables this.
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Fri Jun 29, 2012 07:51 AM
As a youth I attended (and was Baptised in) a Southern Baptist church. But one of the reasons (not the only reason) I left that church was because of the narrow minded views on dance. A minister said to me once "it is the vertical expression of the horizontal". In other words, any and all dance is about sex and is considered a sin.

I now identify more with being spiritual, rather than "religious". This is mainly because I have some problems with organized religion due to some experiences I have had with judgemental, hypocritical "Christians" and church leaders who have corrupted the ideas of love and forgiveness that Christianity is supposed to embody.

kk~
By Miyuki_chanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1496, member since Fri Dec 03, 2004
On Fri Aug 03, 2012 03:34 AM
If I were still able to vote, I would have been under the Islam category. While I'm no longer dancing, my religion would have played a HUGE role in my dancing because I did choose to cover myself by wearing hijab and dressing modestly so the dresses and wigs would have been hareem. (immodest) I also would have had to find a quiet, clean place to pray if it came time to pray while i was still at the feis.

My religion impacts my daily life as well. I must by Halal meats, because I cover my hair I also must find shirts that go down to the wrist and cover my tush. I also pray 5 times a day NO MATTER WHERE I AM. I've prayed in a mosque (mostly), at home, outside, at my tae kwon do class.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12490, member since Fri Aug 27, 2004
On Fri Aug 03, 2012 07:17 AM
I voted for other as my spiritual path has been a journey and I don't really fit into a box.

Raised Catholic until 12
New Age Mashup until 21
Christian Science until 23
Buddhist unti 40
Protestant until 50
Churchless but walking with Jesus until 52
Currently studying Catholicism, still churchless

My spirituality makes a huge difference to me, it's key to who I am.
By DanceEvermore Comments: 41, member since Thu Aug 09, 2012
On Fri Aug 10, 2012 04:45 PM
I am a Christian, particularly Lutheran. I was kind of brought up on Christianity, but not really. Only my grandmother taught it to me. I went to live with my dad, who's an avid athiest and also became an athiest. I came back to my moms, but stuck with one of my friend from living with my dad. She ended up converting me back to Christianity. What a blessing. I love being a Christian because you always have hope and you know that there is someone that will always love you, no matter what. Also, things always have a brighter side with Christianity because God does everything for a reason.

Just my beliefs :)
By SoloJazzDancer Comments: 21529, member since Wed Jun 30, 2004
On Fri Aug 10, 2012 05:07 PM
It's great that you have those beliefs because they are mine too. It is nice to know that someone is always there to take care of you even though you may think that's not always the case. They say the Lord's ways are not always our ways. Also they say the Lord works in mysterious ways. I'd say that was the case w/you.
By RedheadGredmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3922, member since Sat Sep 28, 2002
On Fri Feb 08, 2013 06:10 AM
My religion has changed a few times throughout my life. I was raised Catholic, but I discovered at an early age that Catholicism was not for me. I rejected it when I was six years old. I was a bit older when I decided that I really wasn't Christian at all. From the time I was 12 until I was around 19 I was Wiccan. I then went away from Wicca because I just didn't believe everything from that religion. I decided to be a Unitarian Universalist so that I could incorporate different religions. That didn't last long. I don't follow any religion now and I don't believe in any deity. I have to say that I still love Wicca and still have my altar up in my room and read books about Wicca/Paganism. There are certain things I hope turn out to be true like reincarnation, but for right now I am not too worried. I just concentrate on living a good life and not worrying about religion at all.

It was a long process looking for the religion that was right for me and in the end no religion turned out to be right. I am happier now than I ever was when I was trying to fit into a religion that wasn't right for me. My parents know I am not Catholic, but they don't know that I don't believe in anything. The little that my mother does know about me makes her cry and think she has failed as a parent and should have sent me to a private Catholic school. I think that religion is a very personal choice and not something that someone else should choose for another or get sad over the fact that their child does not believe the exact same things that they do.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7023, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Wed Feb 13, 2013 05:49 PM
Edited by DeStijl (100082) on 2013-02-13 17:50:43
Right now, I would consider myself an amateur Buddhist. ;)

I was raised in an agnostic household, but attended a catholic school. I never ever considered myself catholic, but from kindy through to twelfth grade I went to mass etc at school. I said catholic prayers and celebrated christian holidays. It was far more of a cultural thing than an actual religious belief. In fact, I stopped reciting certain parts of mass that referred to 'giving him praise' when I was around 11 years old because I wasn't sure there was a "him".
One great thing about my catholic schooling was that religious education was a mandatory subject, and we spent just as much time learning about Judaism & Islam as we did about Catholicism, which I loved.

For a short while after high school, I considered converting to Judaism. Again, this was more of a search for a cultural identity rather than a religious one. I got so far as corresponding with my local rabbi before I realized that I still wasn't convinced of this noting of God, thus I really wasn't mean to be a jew.

For the past few years, I have struggled with very bad depression and anxiety. Meditation was introduced to me as a free way of coping, and I got very into it. I read a few medication guides that referred to a few Buddhist concepts; such as impermanence and compassion for all beings and I read up on it a little more. The more I read, the more I felt like this wasn't a religion, but rather, a very logical and peaceful way of viewing the world. There was no all powerful mystical being, which had always been the problem for me in finding a 'faith' that I could relate to.

At the moment, I try to stick to Buddhist principles and I am still learning. I like that Buddhism isn't dogma, but it is just a constant journey of personal growth. My practice has had a huge effect on my life, particularly the way I relate to other people and the way I feel about my own struggles in life.

It has played a massive role in my health; both physical and mental. Love for self in every aspect is important, and I realized that packing my body full of crappy food and then hating myself for it was the exact opposite - so I stopped.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 PM
Edited by Chaconne (182529) on 2013-02-13 22:07:31 Tweaks
I and my family are Lutheran going back practically to the time of Luther. Some Elector or Prince in Prussia got ticked at the Holy Roman Emperor (who was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an emperor) and decreed that his subjects should follow Luther's teachings. Like many religions, the North American Lutheran church is divided into somewhat mutually antagonistic factions called synods along a liberal, conservative, and ultra sort of split. I was born into the ultra one (Wisconsin Synod) and got kicked out for being a Boy Scout (they do not approve of any group that has an oath such as fraternal lodges, scouts.) I grew up in the most liberal branch which is now known as the ELCA (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.) Though "Evangelical" is part of the corporate name of most Lutheran churches, it is still far different from what most people today consider "Evangelicals." By an accident of geography, I am currently a member of the middle ground church (Missouri Synod) only because it is the only game in town where I live. I am what my pastor calls a C & E (Christmas and Easter) though I will be playing at my church this Sunday - on viola rather than my usual violin. Fortunately, Missouri Synod churches in the East Coast are more liberal than their Midwestern brethren. I am not a dancer, of course, but if I have any ministry at all, it is through music and I love playing the great Christian musical classics with chorus, something rather difficult to do as most of the venues I play in are too small to hold both a symphony orchestra and a chorus. I get to do this about every other year when one of my groups plays in a large theater. Unlike many other Protestant churches (I disagree with a person above who narrowed the definition of "Protestant" but that is another subject) the Lutheran church, along with the Episcopalians, is a liturgical church and to a large extent our liturgy is really the Catholic low mass in translation. Music is a big part of our service. Also our sermons are rather short. :) Now that the Catholic Church used the local languages instead of Latin, the text of the services are quite similar.

Jon
By lux Comments: 1178, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Thu Feb 14, 2013 09:28 AM
I identify as an atheist, although agnostic is probably a more accurate term, as I acknowledge the factor that there is always a chance I could be wrong! I guess you could say I was raised in a mixture of Christian faiths- my parents were Catholic and Church of England respectively, and my entire school experience was at colleges of each faith. I stopped believing in a Christian god around the age of 12, and the last time I remember identifying with any kind of supernatural creative force would have been at around 19 (and even then, I was dicey about it).

I danced for the duration of this time, and I don't remember a single moment when my evolving faith (or lack thereof) made any kind of impact of my dancing. The only way religion came into play was, funnily enough, through my studio owner. She belonged to a Christian faith that forbade the celebration of Christmas, so we never did a Christmas concert- my first Nutcracker wasn't until I was 15, with an unrelated ballet company. I also vaguely recall having a couple of my competition song suggestions being rejected for featuring "god" or "Jesus" in the lyrics (although this may have been more to do with regional competition rules, I'm not sure!)
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1455, member since Fri Aug 28, 2009
On Thu Feb 14, 2013 02:12 PM
I'm a Lutheran, Missouri synod (LCMS). There's actually a pretty big range between conservative and liberal people in this synod. We're not very political though, so the bigger difference is between the liturgical churches, which have a worship style similar to Catholics (focus on the sacraments, using a similar order of worship, traditional church music usually played on an organ,etc.) and the Contemporary churches (focus more on prayer and praise music).

I've never found that my religion affected my dance at all, except that I've missed a few performances over the years because there was a conflict with a church service. But then again, I've also missed church services for dance before.
Page:
Page 2 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch