Forum: Arts / Religion

Going back to the Church? What do I do now?
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 20, 2010 08:02 AM
Locked by claireyfaerie85 (220924) on 2010-06-21 07:13:56 finished

I was brought up Catholic, and have strayed away from the church. I got married and it wasn't in the church, and due to an abusive husband, I also got divorced. He ruined my life and nearly killed me on a number of occasions. I have come to terms with what has happened, and although I can never forget, I can forgive him.
Anyway, straying off subject, I want to return to Church, but I am confused as to where I now stand. I remember at school one of the Mum's got divorced and was allowed to take communion, also some who got married outside the church also did, but as I understand it if you marry outside the church and get divorced, you basically become excommunicated?
I go to mass, but I don't go to communion at the moment as I am unsure of where I stand

13 Replies to Going back to the Church? What do I do now?

re: Going back to the Church? What do I do now?
By amarathPremium member
On Tue Apr 20, 2010 08:42 AM
Go to confession and talk to a priest. This is something that should be very easy to sort out. Divorce is not something that is excommunicable in the base case, even if you and your spouse had no reason to divorce (whereas you clearly do!), so I wouldn't worry about that, but talking to a priest would probably make you feel better.

What you're thinking of is that the Church recognizes civil marriage as legitimate, so that you can't get married again and have it recognized without getting it annulled. You should be completely golden to take communion, however.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 20, 2010 08:47 AM
Edited by Theresa (28613) on 2010-04-20 08:48:23
My aunt has been married and divorced, and continues to take communion. My uncle has been married and divorced (obviously, to the aunt), and he doesn't take communion, but for personal reasons.

I know according to my MIL that the Church of Christ forgives divorce if adultery was committed, surely someone's made an exception for "Seriously, if I stayed he was gonna kill me!"
On Tue Apr 20, 2010 09:03 AM
Thanks guys, I think I will go to confession as soon as possible.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 20, 2010 09:34 AM
You could also just go talk to a priest... see what he has to say.
On Tue Apr 20, 2010 09:44 AM
This is going to sound horrible, but my priest is a little old man, and I have never really liked him. I can't hardly understand what he has to say. Was thinking of perhaps visiting the Catholic Chapel at uni or the hospital (those are the 2 places where I spend most of my time)
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 20, 2010 09:46 AM
If you weren't married in the church, then as far as I'm aware you were never actually married in the Church's eyes, therefore you shouldn't worry about the divorce hindering your ability to take communion. However, since you weren't married in the church, from their point of view you were living in sin and will need to go to confession for that.

A good visit with your priest should straighten everything out. Good luck!
On Tue Apr 20, 2010 09:49 AM
Thank you! I think I definately need it. I have been living in 'sin' for a while now deciding what I want to do about it, and trying to get my life back on track. Everything else materialistic wise is sorted, but I still feel something is missing, and I do seriously believe it may be the Church.
By amarathPremium member
On Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:39 AM
If you don't like your priest, definitely go to another priest. I feel like out of every hundred priests or so there are 3 or 4 wrinkly old men who like to yell at people, whereas the majority of priests listen to your confession and tell you to pray for a while and to be more thoughtful in the future.

I recently started going to confession again after a long break, and it's been really helpful for my spiritual development to realize that while I do sin and need to do penance for it, it's not like my sins are out of the ordinary. All the things that have been bothering me are things that don't have to be such a big deal.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 AM
Can someone explain to me the whole point of confession. As a non-practicing catholic I don't fully get why my sins can't be between me and god. Why the middle man?
On Wed Apr 21, 2010 03:20 AM
Erm...good point? I think its just someone to talk to. True it does make you feel better though
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 21, 2010 09:16 AM
^^I think some people really benefit from having a tangible being there to hear and forgive them of their sins. Other than that, I think it's just a leap of faith/something you do because The Church says to.
By TheMidlakeMusemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Apr 21, 2010 09:34 AM
LlamaLlamaDuck wrote:

Can someone explain to me the whole point of confession. As a non-practicing catholic I don't fully get why my sins can't be between me and god. Why the middle man?

If you believe this, you may just be a Protestant!

Dani
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:19 PM
LLD, confessions to a priest is rooted in Matthew 16, verse 19 "I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." That was Jesus addressing Peter, who became the first Pope. Basically, that verse is saying that whatever Peter forgives on Earth will be forgiven in heaven.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed