Forum: Guard / Color Guard

Freshmen?! (:
By Twirler_Valerie
On Sun Apr 25, 2010 01:48 PM

Hey, Okay so I am a freshmen in highschool and was not allowed to try out for either majorette line or the color guard in my band...Completly because I am a freshmen. I have been a competive baton twirler for 11 years which is longer than any of the current majorettes, and although I hadn't ever done any flag until winter guard I pick everything very fast, plus I have taken some dance that helped alot....But, anyways I was wondering if anyone else's guard didn't allow freshmen to try out???
I would love to try and change this rule in my band for any future freshmen twirlers at my school.

5 Replies to Freshmen?! (:

re: Freshmen?! (:
By mhastings
On Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:47 PM
Hi. I got to try out for my schools flag team my freshman year. Now it is my senior year, i have been on the team all 4 years. I really think it is crazy how freshmen are not allowed to try out at your school!! Are freshmen allowed to try out for other sports?

Megan
By vnhsdance
On Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:23 AM
I teach a dance team, and I don't allow incoming freshmen to be on the team. The change from 8th to 9th is significant, and I want students to get acclimated before putting them in a performance. Also, that allows me an year to get to know them and their reliability, experience, and attitude. Taking an incoming freshman would leave me blind to all those qualities.
By puredancer
On Sun Jun 20, 2010 09:52 AM
I wish when I was in high school freshmen weren't allowed. Which would mean I would have done gaurd for only 3 years instead of the 4.

Problem with freshmen is that they really don't know where they belong in school. Like not physically but they are really at that point where they are just trying to fit in. While gaurd would give them a place to belong it is also a whole bunch of stress for someone like that. I know I often found myself not being able to bear the work load of school, dancing, gaurd, family, friends, and my life. I think it gives the girls time to get used to highschool before jumping into something that resposible.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Jun 20, 2010 01:58 PM
I always take freshman because the entire program benefits in the long run. Generally speaking, members who've participated for 4 years are significantly better than those who've only participated for 3 years.
By DidntStrtTheFire
On Tue Jul 06, 2010 01:50 PM
I'm in color guard, and I am a freshman.
This is only my first year though.
But they let SIXTH GRADERS into our guard, and marching band altogether.
I think that you should be allowed to join.
Or in the meantime you could just practice by finding stuff online, and then blow the whole guard away if you do it next year.
:D

ReplySendWatch