Forum: Disco / Cozzies For Sale / Champs & Intermediate

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Cozzies For Sale - Champs & Intermediate
Read This If You Don't Want To Be Ripped Off!
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Tue Apr 27, 2010 04:55 AM
Made sticky by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-04-27 05:05:07

Once again, we have had a spate of members who have joined DDN essentially to rip off sellers.

It is far too easy for this to happen. Word is out amongst the disco community that you can have costumes sent out without payment or even deposit on this site. A new member joins, gets their 20 comments up as quickly as possible, mostly by posting about how interested they are in costumes, then when someone takes the bait, has a costume sent out to either a real or false address, never to be seen again (until it possibly turns up later after being sold to an unsuspecting buyer).

What can DDN do about it after the fact? Not much, unfortunately. We can (and have in the past) ban members for abuse of the boards, but this doesn't get your money or costume back. The only way after the fact is to get the police involved.

What can we all do to prevent this?

1. Arrange for costumes to be tried on only at competitions.

2. If you MUST send costumes out, only do so after receiving payment. A cheque in your hand isn't good enough, as payment can be stopped and cheques can bounce. Ideally, cheques should clear before the costume is sent.

3. Refund money for returned costumes immediately. This ensures goodwill between buyers and sellers.

4. Check the contact details given before sending costumes out. In a recent case, the school that was named as the one a fraudulent member attended, had never heard of the "real" name that was used by this member and wasn't even a competition school. Another school simply didn't even exist.

5. Read the Negative Feedback thread.

6. Keep an eye on the Administration board.

7. Mod-report any suspicious members or anyone breaking the posting rules on the For Sale boards. Yes, this means reporting people who say "Gorgeous cozzie!" Don't call them out on the boards, because then they'll know we're onto them and will be less likely to slip up. Mod-report them. It's quick and gets the message to the right people fast. This latest bust involved ten separate accounts and the only reason they were found in the first place is because one person mod-reported one of the accounts. However, costumes had unfortunately already been sent out and this didn't come to light until after many of the accounts were banned.

8. Don't be afraid to go against the grain. I know that sending out costumes without payment is the way you've always done it, but it makes you vulnerable to fraud and theft. Nobody should think any less of you if you begin a new way of doing things: a better and safer way.

Helen and the mod squad

36 Replies to Read This If You Don't Want To Be Ripped Off!

re: Read This If You Don't Want To Be Ripped Off!
By moosey72member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 170, member since Wed Dec 26, 2007
On Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:52 PM
I have been affected by this and have lost 2 costumes which were posted in good faith. Please feel free to contact me if you are experiencing a similar situation.
By mumdee Comments: 341, member since Wed Jan 13, 2010
On Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:54 PM
Hi there
i am a new dance.net member and I am reading this sticky with interest as I am trying to sell and buy a costume. Your information is indeed valuable, however can you tell me how you "mod report" someone please - what does that mean exactly. Thanks
daryl
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Tue May 04, 2010 11:14 AM
Edited by oz_helen (35388) on 2010-05-05 03:22:28 spacebar! :-)
On the bottom of every single post, there's a series of small boxes. They say "Reply", "Quote", "Mod", "Rate +" and "PM".

Hit the button that says "Mod". You'll be taken to a different screen, where there is a small box (similar to the kind you'd see in a post) that will ask you to explain why you are reporting that particular post. You'd post your reason, and hit "Send".

All of the mods would then get an email, telling us how to read the post, and your explanation for why you believe the post/person is suspicious.

A lot of disco dancers don't like to use the mod button, under assumption that we're going to tell the person who wrote the post who reported them. I can personally verify that in about 90% of cases, we either don't know who reported it, or we just flat out don't care. If there's a problem on the site, our solution is to FIX THE PROBLEM, not to worry about who said it was a problem. And we've never once told someone who mod reported them. In some cases, it doesn't take a lot of skill to figure out (if you're having a PM fight with someone, and you get a warning about it, it doesn't take skills to know that the person you're fighting with reported you, right?), but it's NEVER been because we told, because we don't operate like that. Making sure that everyone is following the rules doesn't make you a traitor, just makes you interested in making sure ddn stays a nice place!
By emmgal Comments: 93, member since Sun May 03, 2009
On Thu May 06, 2010 02:49 PM
thanks this info is really helpful as i have bought and am selling on the site x
By lisarobinson Comments: 2, member since Mon Jun 28, 2010
On Fri Jul 02, 2010 03:15 AM
Thanks for the advice.
By lisarobinson Comments: 2, member since Mon Jun 28, 2010
On Fri Jul 02, 2010 03:16 AM
This is awful, i do appreciate your advice as i'm looking to sell a couple of costumes on here and i'm new to the dancenet scene.
Thank you.

Lisa
By Courtney31 Comments: 28, member since Wed Jul 14, 2010
On Fri Jul 16, 2010 06:22 AM
Thanks, appreciate the advice. I'm a new member and mainly interested in buying. Whilst I understand the reasons for sending the payment up front, there is the same worry that it will not be returned promptly if the costume is not suitable.x x
By Abiie_x Comments: 179, member since Mon Nov 19, 2007
On Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:40 PM
Hi, This has happened to me too. Do you have any advice?
Thanks
Sally
By dirty_dancing Comments: 94, member since Tue Feb 12, 2008
On Wed Sep 01, 2010 02:14 AM
We lost a really nice dance costume :(x no money or anything!x hope this dosnt happen to anyone else as its justt horrible! x
By chaosonthefloor Comments: 11, member since Mon Sep 20, 2010
On Thu Sep 23, 2010 05:13 PM
Hi I am a new member to Dance.net ,but used to be a retailer .A secure way of sending funds and getting the payment before you send out your goods is via pay pal . You don't need to open an account but its so easy to do and you can use it to pay for goods on lots of respected sites,yes there is a charge but better to pay a small fee so as not to "GET RIPPED OFF2 and be pay pal protected .
By tamara_louise Comments: 46, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Mon Oct 11, 2010 07:25 AM
Great advice thankyou :) X
By katiee_louisee Comments: 23, member since Sat Oct 17, 2009
On Fri Oct 22, 2010 03:47 AM
thanks for the advice :) x
By Juicybum Comments: 34, member since Sun Oct 31, 2010
On Sun Oct 31, 2010 03:40 PM
Hi Im new to dance.net but find it shocking that anyone would do this, thanks for the information given its a great help.

:)
By Nightie90member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5816, member since Tue Oct 16, 2007
On Sun Oct 31, 2010 03:43 PM
This post is great advice!! Xx
By s2010 Comments: 5, member since Fri Jul 09, 2010
On Sun Oct 31, 2010 05:52 PM
this is a brilliant sticky to help everyone to be careful i cant believe people can be so horrible and not pay for the costumes
xx

Comment #9327534 deleted

re: Read This If You Don't Want To Be Ripped Off! (karma: 1)
By majicdancer Comments: 1069, member since Sun Nov 04, 2007
On Tue Nov 16, 2010 05:36 AM
don't know if it would work or not but me and my friend were discussing this earlier today and we came up witht the idea that as well as the sault icon people should be able to gain an adfp icon or something like they have to register their status card in order to gain the icon so that in the event costumes are lost or stolen and false information is given then there is a way that their real details can be found out by using the adfp number.

What do people think about this?? xxx
By codieexmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 305, member since Tue Dec 22, 2009
On Sun Nov 28, 2010 06:04 AM
majicdancer .. this could work but nto everyone is registered under the adfp some people are under idta like myself xxx
By becky22 Comments: 21, member since Sun Oct 11, 2009
On Sun Mar 13, 2011 01:52 PM
Thanx for the great advice, hoping to sell my costume soon and havent sold anything on dancenet yet x
By Gloxinia Comments: 21, member since Wed Apr 06, 2011
On Thu Apr 07, 2011 03:57 AM
Great advice and despite the initial worry it caused with me about starting selling costumes on here, it is kind of reassuring to read that there is ways to safeguard against loss of costume and money. Thank you! :)

Lillian x
By quinners Comments: 33, member since Mon Nov 30, 2009
On Mon Jul 18, 2011 03:01 AM
Thanks for the advise as i'm new member to site and was looking to buy and sell here - if you confirm the persons school etc do you think it would be ok to send then?? thanks sarah xx
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Mon Jul 18, 2011 04:00 AM
^If you send out costumes without getting any form of payment or deposit in advance, you do so at your own risk. I would not recommend it.

Helen
By linsyr369 Comments: 23, member since Thu May 27, 2010
On Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:49 AM
Great information, i am thinking of selling my costume and will bear this mind? cheers!!!!!1
By bella44_xox Comments: 7, member since Thu Oct 27, 2011
On Tue Dec 13, 2011 09:04 AM
Thank you for the post as without it i would remain clueless as to what people do, so thank you
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch