Forum: Disco / Cozzies For Sale / Slow Dance

Cozzies For Sale - Slow Dance
Read This If You Don't Want To Be Ripped Off!
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Tue Apr 27, 2010 05:02 AM

Once again, we have had a spate of members who have joined DDN essentially to rip off sellers.

It is far too easy for this to happen. Word is out amongst the disco community that you can have costumes sent out without payment or even deposit on this site. A new member joins, gets their 20 comments up as quickly as possible, mostly by posting about how interested they are in costumes, then when someone takes the bait, has a costume sent out to either a real or false address, never to be seen again (until it possibly turns up later after being sold to an unsuspecting buyer).

What can DDN do about it after the fact? Not much, unfortunately. We can (and have in the past) ban members for abuse of the boards, but this doesn't get your money or costume back. The only way after the fact is to get the police involved.

What can we all do to prevent this?

1. Arrange for costumes to be tried on only at competitions.

2. If you MUST send costumes out, only do so after receiving payment. A cheque in your hand isn't good enough, as payment can be stopped and cheques can bounce. Ideally, cheques should clear before the costume is sent.

3. Refund money for returned costumes immediately. This ensures goodwill between buyers and sellers.

4. Check the contact details given before sending costumes out. In a recent case, the school that was named as the one a fraudulent member attended, had never heard of the "real" name that was used by this member and wasn't even a competition school. Another school simply didn't even exist.

5. Read the Negative Feedback thread.

6. Keep an eye on the Administration board.

7. Mod-report any suspicious members or anyone breaking the posting rules on the For Sale boards. Yes, this means reporting people who say "Gorgeous cozzie!" Don't call them out on the boards, because then they'll know we're onto them and will be less likely to slip up. Mod-report them. It's quick and gets the message to the right people fast. This latest bust involved ten separate accounts and the only reason they were found in the first place is because one person mod-reported one of the accounts. However, costumes had unfortunately already been sent out and this didn't come to light until after many of the accounts were banned.

8. Don't be afraid to go against the grain. I know that sending out costumes without payment is the way you've always done it, but it makes you vulnerable to fraud and theft. Nobody should think any less of you if you begin a new way of doing things: a better and safer way.

Helen and the mod squad

20 Replies to Read This If You Don't Want To Be Ripped Off!

Comment #9168329 deleted

re: Read This If You Don't Want To Be Ripped Off!
By smeg Comments: 3, member since Tue Aug 10, 2010
On Sat Aug 14, 2010 06:44 AM
yeah im a new member to and dont really no what im doin any help would be very gratefull thanks xx
By LorraineT Comments: 20, member since Thu Jun 22, 2006
On Sun Sep 19, 2010 01:59 PM
I have been using dance.net for a while but never became a memeber now a member things like this really help thank you!!
By candy001 Comments: 20, member since Fri Nov 12, 2010
On Fri Nov 19, 2010 05:10 PM
I am also a new member and I didnt know that there was such people that could do that. dont they know how hard it is to buy these costumes. im glad I read through this.
By bromwylva Comments: 72, member since Mon Dec 03, 2007
On Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:32 AM
Message for CANDY001 GERALDINE LAWRENCE. How ironic is your remark when it is YOU WHO IS STEALING COSTUMES!! We know about you now! You have stolen from my daughter and the daughter of another member on here. WARNING DO NOT POST COSTUMES TO THIS USER, YOU DON'T GET THEM BACK!! She says she has a niece who dances at Karen Lane Dance School Cornwall, it is a scam to steal costumes!! PLEASE BE AWARE AND STOP THIS CRIMINAL.
By bromwylva Comments: 72, member since Mon Dec 03, 2007
On Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:37 AM
HOW IRONIC!!!!
By Stacey8 Comments: 85, member since Sun May 09, 2010
On Fri Feb 11, 2011 03:55 AM
thats horrible who would do such a thing :( xxxxx
By Storystones Comments: 7, member since Mon May 16, 2011
On Tue May 17, 2011 10:33 AM
What a nightmare...as a new member I have just emailed someone asking them to send me a costume for my daughter to try on...how people trust you when things like this are happening!?
By CaroleJane Comments: 174, member since Mon May 16, 2011
On Thu Jun 02, 2011 07:42 AM
Hi

I have just started listing my costume for sale.
A lady asked if I could send out for her daughter to try on.
iI replied and said iI would only send out if it was paid for first
iI feel bad about this, but after reading your report, hope i did the right thing
By lozelisha Comments: 75, member since Mon Dec 13, 2010
On Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:21 AM
so glad read this, a newish member and am going to start selling on here soon, x
By xx48813xx Comments: 467, member since Wed Apr 23, 2008
On Fri Jul 01, 2011 05:33 PM
we sent a costume to darlolass (karan Nicholson at Joanne Lowe dance school in darlington. Never had it back. Seems she has also used the name darlodiva
By nuttinikki Comments: 1016, member since Fri May 19, 2006
On Fri Jul 01, 2011 05:41 PM
Re above comment.... darlodiva is nothing to do with darlolass they are not one in the same I know this because darlodiva used to go to our dance school(anita browns) she now lives down sheffield way and neither her nor her mum are called karen, I have PM'd you though regarding your suit

Nikki xx
By MissDynamite Comments: 3, member since Sun Nov 07, 2010
On Wed Jul 27, 2011 07:12 AM
Sorry to learn that this is going on, or at least was going on, I have just made a post to sell a costume and I am a new member, if anyone has any queries regarding me then do not hestitate to contact me and i will give you my danceschool details.

Elaine :)
By Rose16 Comments: 47, member since Mon Sep 19, 2011
On Mon Sep 19, 2011 01:56 PM
i cant believe there are actually people like that i think of this website like a trustworthy site where we all trust eachother and respect eachother.
By marleyboy40 Comments: 21, member since Sun Apr 10, 2011
On Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:49 AM
Edited by marleyboy40 (234769) on 2011-10-11 11:18:17
Hi , i have been a new member since April this year and still am ,im not going to make needless comments just to become a full member,i am in the process of buying a second costume off here for my daughter and feel sad that new members are being distrusted i know there is good and bad everywhere but as a new family to the dance community one of the things i found very refreshing in this day and age was the trust between the community its sad that a few bad people put a cloud above the good ones, Helen
By Lozza1Premium member Comments: 37, member since Fri Jul 22, 2005
On Thu Oct 20, 2011 05:23 AM
My costume has been stolen and the person said her dance teacher is called emma Stephen's? they are from london!

if you no who this is please pm me thank you
By xgemmax Comments: 39, member since Mon Sep 05, 2011
On Wed Dec 21, 2011 04:38 AM
Reading this has been very helpfull as im going to put my daughters slow suit up for sale soon . I cant beleive that some people acctually do this sad sad people !!
By louanna32 Comments: 22, member since Sat Sep 24, 2011
On Sat Dec 31, 2011 05:24 AM
Dissapionted after reading all these comments I can't believe people can do this!! Dance.net is a wonderful site for genuine people buying and selling costumes!! Not everyone can afford a brand new costume and this site allows you to get gorgeous costumes at a lower price. I am a new member and after buying a costume from this site in october we are now after another one!! The horrible people that are stealing costumes are leaving a bad name for the genuine guys out there... PLEASE if this does happen to you post the guilty parties details on here lets get rid of the bad!!! Louise x
By wendyg Comments: 27, member since Wed Jun 06, 2012
On Sat Jun 09, 2012 02:24 AM
I am a very new member, my daughter only started disco a month ago,but she loves it! I was advised by a kind friend at our dance school to use this site for tips and info and to find costumes etc, I work in Fraud myself so reading this doesn't come as any surprise to myself, knowing what lenghts some people go to to take things that aren't rightfully their's. I would be happy to provide full details and a deposit to anyone I was asking to send a costume to me xxx
By kym1 Comments: 3, member since Fri Jul 02, 2010
On Thu Jul 19, 2012 09:59 PM
Hi,
I have 2 daughters who dance and have always up until now bought and sold suited within the dance school. I am classed as a mew member as have not posted before. I am now looking to buy two suites, and will be happy to provide details and deposit etc. Just hope not been able to pm people and classed as new member won't put people off.
Xx

ReplySendWatch