Priority Teaching Jobs

Forum: Disco / Cozzies For Sale / Starter

Cozzies For Sale - Starter
Read This If You Don't Want To Be Ripped Off! en>fr fr>en
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Tue Apr 27, 2010 05:02 AM

Once again, we have had a spate of members who have joined DDN essentially to rip off sellers.

It is far too easy for this to happen. Word is out amongst the disco community that you can have costumes sent out without payment or even deposit on this site. A new member joins, gets their 20 comments up as quickly as possible, mostly by posting about how interested they are in costumes, then when someone takes the bait, has a costume sent out to either a real or false address, never to be seen again (until it possibly turns up later after being sold to an unsuspecting buyer).

What can DDN do about it after the fact? Not much, unfortunately. We can (and have in the past) ban members for abuse of the boards, but this doesn't get your money or costume back. The only way after the fact is to get the police involved.

What can we all do to prevent this?

1. Arrange for costumes to be tried on only at competitions.

2. If you MUST send costumes out, only do so after receiving payment. A cheque in your hand isn't good enough, as payment can be stopped and cheques can bounce. Ideally, cheques should clear before the costume is sent.

3. Refund money for returned costumes immediately. This ensures goodwill between buyers and sellers.

4. Check the contact details given before sending costumes out. In a recent case, the school that was named as the one a fraudulent member attended, had never heard of the "real" name that was used by this member and wasn't even a competition school. Another school simply didn't even exist.

5. Read the Negative Feedback thread.

6. Keep an eye on the Administration board.

7. Mod-report any suspicious members or anyone breaking the posting rules on the For Sale boards. Yes, this means reporting people who say "Gorgeous cozzie!" Don't call them out on the boards, because then they'll know we're onto them and will be less likely to slip up. Mod-report them. It's quick and gets the message to the right people fast. This latest bust involved ten separate accounts and the only reason they were found in the first place is because one person mod-reported one of the accounts. However, costumes had unfortunately already been sent out and this didn't come to light until after many of the accounts were banned.

8. Don't be afraid to go against the grain. I know that sending out costumes without payment is the way you've always done it, but it makes you vulnerable to fraud and theft. Nobody should think any less of you if you begin a new way of doing things: a better and safer way.

Helen and the mod squad

13 Replies to Read This If You Don't Want To Be Ripped Off!

re: Read This If You Don't Want To Be Ripped Off! en>fr fr>en
By veryproudmum Comments: 626, member since Tue Sep 16, 2008
On Tue Aug 24, 2010 03:25 AM
Great advice which is just using your common sense
When I sell a costume I ask for full payment before it is sent out. After all if they are genuine and willing to buy it then they don't mind doing this.
Love Sarah
XXX
By littleprinces5 Comments: 170, member since Fri Apr 24, 2009
On Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:33 AM
great advice will look into these suggestions when i am sending suits out

belinda
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16203, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Wed Dec 01, 2010 05:35 AM
Please read this...we have had another member scam countless number of costumes because not one person asked for a deposit or full payment.

Just because you are a good honest person, doesn't mean other people are. If you are trying to buy your own child a new costume with the sale of the old...PROTECT your investment and don't send it out blindly to a stranger!!
By nannyone Comments: 24, member since Tue May 25, 2010
On Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:34 AM
good advice because we have just been scammed on an outfit that was sent to ireland,they are travelling people[ gypsies] they have done this to about 20 people so far,,,it is in the hands of the police as we speak.
By jules17 Comments: 20, member since Mon Jan 10, 2011
On Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:21 AM
Very good advice, its a shame that people will resort to this as it gives dancing a bad reputation.
By Neviepie Comments: 58, member since Wed Aug 11, 2010
On Sat Jan 22, 2011 01:03 PM
Is there anyway Paypal can be used to pay for costumes?? safer & means we are protected?
By Gorgalou Comments: 45, member since Wed Aug 25, 2010
On Wed Feb 16, 2011 04:40 AM
What fantastic advice will use this when sending out costumes and sell them too
By dizzydisco Comments: 41, member since Tue Apr 19, 2011
On Mon May 09, 2011 02:25 AM
great help as im all new to this so this is great to have x
By m3worrall Comments: 27, member since Sun Jul 24, 2011
On Tue Aug 09, 2011 08:01 AM
Thank you for the advice. I am new to this site and am not sure how it all works. I have just advertised 4 costumes and I will deffo take into account your advice about sending costumes out.

Thanks again
M-J x
By theresa18 Comments: 21, member since Sat Sep 24, 2011
On Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:31 AM
Thanks for the advice, I am new to this site and just about to advertise an Irish dancing dress. Thanks again
By theresa18 Comments: 21, member since Sat Sep 24, 2011
On Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:32 AM
Thanks for the advice, I am new to this site and just about to advertise an Irish dancing dress. Thanks again
By Annon Comments: 4, member since Mon Jan 24, 2011
On Mon Jun 25, 2012 09:06 PM
very usefull advise thank you will take all of this into account when sending out costumes
By suzyboo Comments: 32, member since Wed Dec 16, 2009
On Sun Dec 02, 2012 01:06 PM
great advice just posted my first cozzie to sell so will use this

ReplySendWatch